Anyone return their Galaxy Nexus to the Google Play store?

terencet1603

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my Galaxy Nexus on Jul. 16th and received the order fairly quick on the 19th. Everything about the phone is great no issues with the phone itself. My only issue with my order was that the wall adapter that came with the phone was defected and wasn't able to give me a charge. No matter what micro-usb cable I tried using with the adapter it would not give me a charge. I even tried multiple outlets and still no charge. The only way I was able to get a charge was through usb connected to my desktop. Now this was an issue for me because honestly a wall adapter for any phone is essential. My solution started off by waiting on hold for about 30 minutes with the Google Play Store Customer support line. I finally was connected and Google was happy to help me with my issue. In conclusion I was transferred over to Samsung and was issued a replacement for my wall adapter no charge. I had to repackage my defected wall charger and send it out with the shipping label provided by Samsung. Hopefully everything works out for the rest of you Galaxy Nexus owners.

muad'dib

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently trying to return my Nexus for a refund (simply decided to go with the SGSIII.) The first time I contacted Google, they would not process my request for an RMA and Shipping label until I provided them with the SMEI/Serial Number. I couldn't give them it yet because I had not received the package at that point.

I received the package yesterday and called Google customer support again. After a 45 minute hold, I reached someone. They created a ticket and said that I would get the RMA and Shipping Label via email within 48 hours, though it could be longer. They did not ask me for the SMEI/Serial number...

We'll see what happens next...

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung here is really the issue. The return label had samsungs address on it so since google never been in any hardware business prior the nexus line of devices they never really needed the call centers. And now they handle mostly orders and they're overwhelmed so all warranty questions and returns are taken care of by Samsung which has an awful warranty policy....

That excuse doesn't wash. Google is the first point of contact and has been selling devices for several years now. Long enough to get a better handle on this.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For what reason are you guys returning your phones? Just curious:confused:

Poor GPS: I tried several GPS apps besides Google Maps and it took every one of them nearly 5 minutes to pinpoint my location and another 3 to 5 minutes before they would start navigating. If I made a wrong turn the process of rerouting me was painfully slooow.

Purple screen: I thought this was normal until I compared it to someones Verizon Nexus at work. I was told by someone at Samsung's warranty dept. that this was normal for the type of display on the Nexus. I disagreed. After that frustrating call I made the decision to return the Nexus and wait for another non Samsung Android device running ICS to come out.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has always had quality control issues and they still do.

This is very true, fully agree.

I am not one to pick on any manufacture in particular because of my belief that they all suffer from quality control issues at one time or another, however, this issue with the Samsung Nexus and Samsung's warranty dept. has left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't see myself returning to Samsung any time soon. :(

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
But back to the original question....has anyone actually been successful in getting a returned processed through Google?
Even though it took Google a long time to answer my initial call to return my Nexus, they were quick to email me the shipping label and RMA slip for the inside of the box.... However, this is where my good experience ends. I sent my Nexus back last Tue via UPS as instructed and it was received back to Samsung's warehouse in Texas on Fri., but since Google did not include the option for insurance I requested it at the UPS store that I went to. Problem that I didn't realize at the time was doing so caused a new return label and tracking number. After not receiving any refund notice I called Google today to inquire about the refund status. The rep picked up the phone in less than 2 minutes which impressed me. He said usually people are getting their refunds in 3 days and the fact that I haven't received mine yet could be because they don't have the tracking number because of the new label. I gave him the number and he agreed that it was received by Samsung last Fri., so he created a ticket on the issue and said that this should be taken care of by this Fri. He also noted that the reason why I didn't use their return label was because I would not have been able to insure it. I'm hopeful at this point that my return will get processed soon. If not I will be calling my credit card company and getting them involved in this.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Even though it took Google a long time to answer my initial call to return my Nexus, they were quick to email me the shipping label and RMA slip for the inside of the box.... However, this is where my good experience ends. I sent my Nexus back last Tue via UPS as instructed and it was received back to Samsung's warehouse in Texas on Fri., but since Google did not include the option for insurance I requested it at the UPS store that I went to. Problem that I didn't realize at the time was doing so caused a new return label and tracking number. After not receiving any refund notice I called Google today to inquire about the refund status. The rep picked up the phone in less than 2 minutes which impressed me. He said usually people are getting their refunds in 3 days and the fact that I haven't received mine yet could be because they don't have the tracking number because of the new label. I gave him the number and he agreed that it was received by Samsung last Fri., so he created a ticket on the issue and said that this should be taken care of by this Fri. He also noted that the reason why I didn't use their return label was because I would not have been able to insure it. I'm hopeful at this point that my return will get processed soon. If not I will be calling my credit card company and getting them involved in this.

don't worry, they received my first unit on the 6th of this month and after almost two weeks they finally refunded me. As long as you put the paper with RMA # inside the box you should be fine.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
don't worry, they received my first unit on the 6th of this month and after almost two weeks they finally refunded me. As long as you put the paper with RMA # inside the box you should be fine.

Thanks, Trevalkin. Yes, I did include the slip with the RMA # inside the original shipping box.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I think Samsung televisions are great! I just think their mobile department is their weakpoint, QC-wise.

Btw Trevalkin, you were a huge help to me all the time back in the original Atrix forums, and I was looking forward to having you around the Galaxy Nexus forums now. Sucks you've moved on to a different OS altogether. But, I wish you luck and I know you'll be happy with it; and if, for some reason you aren't, there's a lot of choice over here in Android world, so come on back sometime and see what's new!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think Samsung televisions are great! I just think their mobile department is their weakpoint, QC-wise.

Btw Trevalkin, you were a huge help to me all the time back in the original Atrix forums, and I was looking forward to having you around the Galaxy Nexus forums now. Sucks you've moved on to a different OS altogether. But, I wish you luck and I know you'll be happy with it; and if, for some reason you aren't, there's a lot of choice over here in Android world, so come on back sometime and see what's new!
Thanks man :) I remember the Atrix forums :) This is what I actually said to the Google rep two days ago, I said I wish they went with Motorola to build the Nexus phone I've never had any problems with my Atrix. but of course that's solely my experience, some people might say otherwise... Although I do have to say, the IPS SLCD panels have a huge advantage over the SAmoled screens in terms of quality. Amoled technology IMO is prone to all kinds of defects...
and funny you should mention the Samsung televisions lol my mother happened to have one, on which both, the power supply and the logic board went bad after like 4 months of the warranty expiration. googling this specific problem revealed that its very common with these models... my Skyrocket however worked like a clockwork on Gingerbread before they updated it to ICS. So it's really a hit or miss experience...
and last but not least. I love to try all kinds of new tech, Absolutely love the Jelly Bean OS so I'm very sure I'll go back to Android phones at some point.. Enjoying my iPhone for now but really miss google maps though, and of course I'll be following these forums to keep myself informed.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man :) I remember the Atrix forums :) This is what I actually said to the Google rep two days ago, I said I wish they went with Motorola to build the Nexus phone I've never had any problems with my Atrix. but of course that's solely my experience, some people might say otherwise... Although I do have to say, the IPS SLCD panels have a huge advantage over the SAmoled screens in terms of quality. Amoled technology IMO is prone to all kinds of defects...
and funny you should mention the Samsung televisions lol my mother happened to have one, on which both, the power supply and the logic board went bad after like 4 months of the warranty expiration. googling this specific problem revealed that its very common with these models... my Skyrocket however worked like a clockwork on Gingerbread before they updated it to ICS. So it's really a hit or miss experience...
and last but not least. I love to try all kinds of new tech, Absolutely love the Jelly Bean OS so I'm very sure I'll go back to Android phones at some point.. Enjoying my iPhone for now but really miss google maps though, and of course I'll be following these forums to keep myself informed.

Glad to hear you'll stick around! Are you perhaps on Google+? Would love to follow you there if you use it. I don't use it to post often, but I do use it to follow others.
Yeah, our Samsung television has actually proven to last a long time and have very few problems, and the screen is beautiful, so that's why I said that. However, you're right, it's just hit or miss with Samsung - very little consistency. I guess you could say that about any manufacturer, and people do - but to me it just seems like defects and Samsung happen way more than any of the others. But, everyone has their favorites!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you'll stick around! Are you perhaps on Google+? Would love to follow you there if you use it. I don't use it to post often, but I do use it to follow others.
Yeah, our Samsung television has actually proven to last a long time and have very few problems, and the screen is beautiful, so that's why I said that. However, you're right, it's just hit or miss with Samsung - very little consistency. I guess you could say that about any manufacturer, and people do - but to me it just seems like defects and Samsung happen way more than any of the others. But, everyone has their favorites!
No I'm not on Google+.... I guess I'm one of those "weird" people who don't use any social networks lol I once registered on Facebook but haven't really found any use for it so I closed my account lol. I kinda have this distrust in social networks, don't really feel safe there... But yeah anyway.. I figured I can always sell my iPhone if there will be a Nexus from Motorola, the resell value is always high for the fruit devices you know. Can't wait to see what Google will announce this year.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Got'cha. I actually never owned a Facebook either believe it or not - but I bit the bullet since Google was releasing one. :p Alright, hope to see you around!

ugaco07

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Took 8 days, 6 phone calls, and finally having to put my foot down to get someone to grab a supervisor for me to get this resolved. Finally got my RMA and shipping label and got it back in the mail to Samsung today.

Cannot believe a company the size of Google is having this many issues with customer service. I mentioned that to the guy on the phone and he said that the number of "remorse returns" of the Nexus 7 has overwhelmed them and they are, as he put it, two weeks behind with the backlog of returns needing to be processed. I told him that a company the size of Google should be able to staff a team big enough to handle this and his response was "we can't train the new people fast enough".

muad'dib

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I made my third call today after waiting 48 hours for my RMA and shipping label to arrive, which it never did. I was fortunate to get a rep. that Sent them to me immediately and waited on the phone with me until they arrived in my inbox.

Sent package back to Samsung today. I'll keep the thread posted on when my refund hits.

I did notice though that now Google has implemented an automated return form on their Device Returns page (similar to Amazon.) Now you make the request from their website and include the serial number of the device, etc.
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=devices_returns

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
8 days later, I finally got my refund! I called Google again yesterday to complain about not receiving a refund even though they have had my Nexus back in their warehouse since the 20th. Spoke with a new Google rep. who said that it could take them up to 14 days to process the return. She put me on a hold for less than 5 minutes after I told her that 14 days was not acceptable to me. When she came back she said she spoke with her supervisor who would be refunding my money immediately.... I checked my Google account today and they did in fact credit the full amount that I paid, which was nice because I was expecting to be hit with a restocking fee....

If anyone else is having a problem with the return process I recommend that you get a Google supervisor involved as this might speed up the process for you as well. Good luck...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
8 days later, I finally got my refund! I called Google again yesterday to complain about not receiving a refund even though they have had my Nexus back in their warehouse since the 20th. Spoke with a new Google rep. who said that it could take them up to 14 days to process the return. She put me on a hold for less than 5 minutes after I told her that 14 days was not acceptable to me. When she came back she said she spoke with her supervisor who would be refunding my money immediately.... I checked my Google account today and they did in fact credit the full amount that I paid, which was nice because I was expecting to be hit with a restocking fee....

If anyone else is having a problem with the return process I recommend that you get a Google supervisor involved as this might speed up the process for you as well. Good luck...
Did they deduct the shipping fee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol