Jelly Bean Wi-Fi weirdness

eljedo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
is anyone having weird issues with wi-fi connections after upgrading to JB? I notice a (new) setting to "Avoid poor connections".

I've found a few wi-fi routers I connected to fine in ICS now seem a bit flaky on JB, for example, at my gf's house, it will connect to her router and stay connected, but the phone doesn't have an internet connection, so google now won't update, my accounts don't sync etc., but it won't drop the wifi connection and pick up the HSPA instead, so its staying connected to Wi-Fi, but rejecting the data that should come through. I know the issue isn't with the Wi-Fi or speed of the connection, my laptop and her GSM Razr both work just fine, and its a 20Mbps cable connection. Anyone experience weird wifi issues?

TheFunkyMonk

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing this as well.

My Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, both on Jelly Bean, will connect for a while initially, then (usually after falling asleep and re-awakening) will show gray icons and connection won't work.

This only happens on my home network which other devices & computers don't have issues with, and I don't get this issue on my office WiFi network at all. Both my office and home WiFi networks are using WPA/WPA2 PSK security.

I still haven't managed to figure out what's going on.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
WIFI routers seem to be like this. My HP TouchPad (or whatever it's called) wouldn't connect to my DLink access point with WPA2. But now with a Cisco AiroNet access point, it has no problem.

I have another DLink access-point that I tried to setup as a "client" for my stereo in the living room, and even though it supports WPA2, it won't connect with the AiroNet with WPA2, only WPA. (Which I refuse to use because WPA limits to 54mb/s....per the standard but which some WIFI routers/access points chooes to ignore, which is yet another slight difference)

Not saying this isn't a JB issue or there's not a fix somewhere, but these kind of issues do persist even though 802.11x is a well-defined standard. Annoying.

For the "grey" icon issue on wakeup, I used to get that on my DLink access point at home, but no longer have the issue with the Aironet. When I did get that, I just bounced the WIFI; turned it off then back on.

William Roy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I'm totally new here and i must admit that my english is not very good. But i'll try to explain my situation as best i can. I bought an Asus tablet Nexus 7 this week. I have a little problem with my wifi connection and I do not understand why. I have 2 desktops. The first which my modem and my router its connected. The second is connected to wireless internet using a wifi adapter asus. When I try to plug my tablet to my home network, it works fine for a while, and suddenly I lost the connection. But not only on my tablet ,but also on my 2 desktops. It appears an exclamation mark on the icon at the bottom right. When I executes the diagnostic repair, they told me to unplug my router, wait 10 seconds and reconnect it. A few minutes later turn back to normal. I have an iPod touch also with which I have no problem connecting to my wifi on my network. Only when I connect my tablet, as I explained, shortly after I lost all my internet connection and I have to unplug and replug my router ..

Could someone help me please?

thank you

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I'm totally new here and i must admit that my english is not very good. But i'll try to explain my situation as best i can. I bought an Asus tablet Nexus 7 this week. I have a little problem with my wifi connection and I do not understand why. I have 2 desktops. The first which my modem and my router its connected. The second is connected to wireless internet using a wifi adapter asus. When I try to plug my tablet to my home network, it works fine for a while, and suddenly I lost the connection. But not only on my tablet ,but also on my 2 desktops. It appears an exclamation mark on the icon at the bottom right. When I executes the diagnostic repair, they told me to unplug my router, wait 10 seconds and reconnect it. A few minutes later turn back to normal. I have an iPod touch also with which I have no problem connecting to my wifi on my network. Only when I connect my tablet, as I explained, shortly after I lost all my internet connection and I have to unplug and replug my router ..

Could someone help me please?

thank you

If you keep the wifi-enabled dekstop off (not connected at all), and the iPod off (not connected at all), so that you simply have the regular desktop connected, can you then connect your tablet and have it stay connected? Or does the tablet still disconnect and then the router also kick your desktop 1 off of internet as well, all over again? It could be a bandwidth issue, perhaps, is what I am getting at. Just a guess though.

William Roy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
thank you for the answer. That's what I did today. I just keep my first computer connected. That which is installed on my modem and router. I removed access to my network on the second computer as well as my ipod touch. I forgot that I also had a small portable mini hp. So just keeping my main computer plugged in, then I plug my tablet, and it seems still connect it. Usually, I lost all my connections after few minutes. But then about 20-30 minutes and everything is ok. So it is my router who no longer works well? This is a D-link. A model that is no longer. I have for some years now. The firmware is up to date.

thank you

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been having issues with WiFi as well. I find I drop WiFi or the connection will hang as described by the OP much easier on 4.1, 4.2, and 4.2.1 then I did on any ICS build (ROMs included). I have played with the various settings under WiFi to no avail. And sadly the only WiFi I use regularly is my home network (no access at work) so I can't specify if it's my router or not. However the firmware is up to date on the router and I've got it set up as best as I know. Glad to know I'm not the only one having issues.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
is anyone having weird issues with wi-fi connections after upgrading to JB? I notice a (new) setting to "Avoid poor connections".

I've found a few wi-fi routers I connected to fine in ICS now seem a bit flaky on JB, for example, at my gf's house, it will connect to her router and stay connected, but the phone doesn't have an internet connection, so google now won't update, my accounts don't sync etc., but it won't drop the wifi connection and pick up the HSPA instead, so its staying connected to Wi-Fi, but rejecting the data that should come through. I know the issue isn't with the Wi-Fi or speed of the connection, my laptop and her GSM Razr both work just fine, and its a 20Mbps cable connection. Anyone experience weird wifi issues?

what is your wireless router? (Brand,model)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

odLott

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing and can only reproduce it at home. I'll wake up my phone to find that both radio icons are grey. After I unlock it, the radios will turn blue again after about 30 seconds and the notifications start flowing in again.

I really started noticing this when I upgraded to 4.2. Previously it was so rare that it was plausible it was just some fluke issues, but suddenly this started to happen all the time. Due to countless other issues with 4.2, I figured I would downgrade 4.1.2 and the problem would go away. Still happened. Was getting annoyed with the prompts to upgrade to 4.2, so switched to CM10. Still happens.

The one thing that seems clear is that this is tied to wifi. I can usually reproduce it shortly after I connect to my wifi network (10-15 mins later) and sometimes during the day. It happens on average 2-3 times a day and the annoying thing is no notification during that time. It always turns itself back on when I unlock it though, it's just that until I do, it will stay gray and not get notifications.

Really really annoying.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing and can only reproduce it at home. I'll wake up my phone to find that both radio icons are grey. After I unlock it, the radios will turn blue again after about 30 seconds and the notifications start flowing in again.

I really started noticing this when I upgraded to 4.2. Previously it was so rare that it was plausible it was just some fluke issues, but suddenly this started to happen all the time. Due to countless other issues with 4.2, I figured I would downgrade 4.1.2 and the problem would go away. Still happened. Was getting annoyed with the prompts to upgrade to 4.2, so switched to CM10. Still happens.

The one thing that seems clear is that this is tied to wifi. I can usually reproduce it shortly after I connect to my wifi network (10-15 mins later) and sometimes during the day. It happens on average 2-3 times a day and the annoying thing is no notification during that time. It always turns itself back on when I unlock it though, it's just that until I do, it will stay gray and not get notifications.

Really really annoying.

Enable wifi on sleep

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue on my Toshiba THrive (rooted ICS ROM). Usually, a reboot of the router may help but that doesn't completely solve the issue. My GNex hasn't had this issue yet but I would not be surprised if it does.

fasbotr

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean Wi-Fi weirdness and other issues

I have a Droid Razr. Since the JB update I am having several issues, one of which is the WiFi connection. At my home, the status on the phone constantly toggles back and forth between "connecting" and "saved", never really connecting. It does connect fine at other places as it always did. Before JB, it connected fine and worked well.

I saw some posts that suggested some modems types may have been dropped, and are not supported now. Their solution is to purchase an new router. If it fixes the prob, then good. If not then return it. Really? I think that a better solution is for Android to fix their bug(s).
Also having other issues since the upgrade:

> Phone is a lot slower. Lags between screens, launching and using apps, and phone calls (making. answering, and getting thru contact list).
> Battery life is terrible, at certain times. I have had it run down from full batt to 30% in several 3-4 hrs with average use. checking the percentage bars, it has shown the operating system to be using 59%. Screen usage used to be the big spender at the same or a little more percentage.
> speech to text feature works about 60% of the time, even in a strong 4G area. "google can't be reached"

All this, doing the same things with the same apps in the same manner as before JB update.

Is anyone else experiencing any of the same issues?

I can't wait for them to get to another update, and hope they fixed some of these issues...

-fasbotr

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Jelly Bean made my S3 faster but kind of gave a lot of errors. Can't wait for 4.1.2 and all those bug fixes. Anyways elijedo its a problem with your phone. Do a factory data reset and it should be fixed. It solves most errors.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante