[GUIDE] Return Your GSM Nexus to Stock / Flash to "takju" (now Android 4.2)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
To start off, remember you can always download the factory stock images for the GSM Galaxy Nexus directly here:

Factory Images for Nexus Devices

For the purpose of this guide currently, we want the "takju" 4.2 (JOP40C) image.

This will completely wipe your device, including /sdcard. Backup any data you wish to save by copying to your computer, uploading to Dropbox/Google Drive, or whatever your preferred method is.

Here are the GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO RESTORE THE STOCK IMAGES. Make sure you know how to do it for your computer/setup and that ADB and fastboot is set up on your computer. In addition, make sure you know how to type the commands in for your specific setup. For example, if you're using a superboot folder for Mac, you need to make sure you understand what your "version" of the "beginning" of the command is (usually "./fastboot-mac" if you're using that r3-superboot folder). For Ubuntu, be sure to put "sudo" before any and all fastboot commands.

[INFO]
First, download the 4.2 JOP40C image files to your computer. These specific files are found here.

Second, extract the files from that downloaded file. Place those files in an easily accessible location, like your desktop or your downloads folder.

Third, turn your phone off. Then, hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button at the same time to boot you into the bootloader. It should say "FASTBOOT MODE" in weird (red?) lettering on the screen. Make sure the phone is connected (by USB cable) to your computer.

Note - you can also to do this in the terminal with an ADB command; make sure USB Debugging is checked (Developer Options) and your phone is plugged in. Simply type:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]adb reboot bootloader[/SIZE]

Fourth, open up a terminal/command prompt on your computer.

Fifth, using the command line, you need to "cd" or "change directory" to where your files are. This might be different depending on what computer you're on. If you are on Ubuntu and they are on the Desktop, do this:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]cd Desktop[/SIZE]

If they are in your Downloads folder, then try this:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]cd Downloads[/SIZE]

Then, "cd" or "change directory" again to the folder that you extracted (takju-jop40c I believe). So, it would be

Code:
[SIZE="2"]cd foldername[/SIZE]
or
Code:
[SIZE="2"]cd takju-jop40c[/SIZE]

(Double check this, because I do not have my folder in front of me at the moment)

Sixth, once at the folder containing the goods, you need type in the following commands. Each command will flash a different component/image required to go to stock. You can copy and paste each command, but if they don't work type them in. There's a general "language" that's being spoken here, so as long as you understand that language you'll be able to get the general jibe of what's going on. Also, make sure each command is COMPLETE before going to the next.

Check to make sure your computer recognizes your phone by typing:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot devices[/SIZE]

If you're currently on a custom ROM or have unlocked your bootloader, skip this next step.

If you are currently stock, and have yet to unlock your bootloader, then unlock your bootloader (again, this will completely wipe your device!):

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot oem unlock[/SIZE]

You will be prompted to accept the unlock on the screen. Select "Accept". Then reboot:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/SIZE]

Now we get to the fun part, actually flashing the device. Again, in the command line:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primelc03.img[/SIZE]

Code:

Wait 10 seconds

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlh1[/SIZE]

Code:

Wait 10 seconds

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash system system.img[/SIZE]

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash userdata userdata.img[/SIZE]

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash boot boot.img[/SIZE]

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img[/SIZE]

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot erase cache[/SIZE]

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot reboot[/SIZE]

And you're done! Boot up and sign into your Google Account. Enjoy Jelly Bean 4.2.[/INFO]

[INFO]If you're restoring your device for a warranty replacement, or want to relock the bootloader, follow steps 7 and 8. (remember, locking the bootloader is not necessary to receive OTA updates, and if you ever want to flash the device again, you'll completely wipe the device again by unlocking.):

Seventh, let the phone reboot COMPLETELY to the "Welcome" screen. Then turn the device off and get back to the bootloader (see the third step). Also, don't close the terminal/command prompt window, you still need it!

Eighth, lock the device by using the following command in the terminal/command prompt, and then reboot the bootloader:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot oem lock[/SIZE]

Code:

You should now see "LOCKED" at the bottom of that bootloader screen on your device. If so, reboot the device:

Code:
[SIZE="2"]fastboot reboot[/SIZE]
[/INFO]

Credit for this guide goes out to dmmarck for his fantastic guide for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, found here.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Return Your GSM Nexus to Stock / Flash to "takju"

Precisely. Should clarify in OP that this will take your phone to stock takju no matter what your current build is (yakjuxu, yakjuxw, yakjujp, etc.).

Ok thanks because I still haven't received the 4.1 OTA. God damn you Samsung!! going to try this now. Thank you again.

1aziz

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

I have a problem, I use Ubuntu, on step 6th, it says:

aziz@ubuntu:~/takju-imm76i$ fastboot devices
fastboot: command not found

I've same problem on Windows.

(I've also tried to enter with "sudo" before fastboot. but, same.)
What should I do? Thanks.

Last edited:

1aziz

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

aziz@ubuntu:~$ cd takju-imm76i
aziz@ubuntu:~/takju-imm76i$ sudo fastboot-devices
[sudo] password for aziz:
sudo: fastboot-devices: command not found
aziz@ubuntu:~/takju-imm76i$

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Everything worked fine, although my heart started pumping when it didn't flash system because I hadn't unzipped the package inside the folder. :-[

Edit: Almost instantly got the notification of the 4.1 update. Nice!

theRKF

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Sweet guide, thanks! This was my first Android flash, and I made it through without bricking anything.

A link that might be helpful for n00bs such as myself: (USB driver)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...17-android-1-0-driver-problem-check-here.html

Also, when installing the Android SDK for adb & fastboot it's necessary to manually edit the PATH to point to the platform-tools folder. (This might be common knowledge, but it cost me some time, so I figured I'd post for other first-timers to see.)

So far no OTA option to 4.1, but at least 4.0.4 is an improvement over the 4.0.1 I was stuck with before. Got the OTA, running 4.1 on Telus in Canada

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sweet guide, thanks! This was my first Android flash, and I made it through without bricking anything.

A link that might be helpful for n00bs such as myself: (USB driver)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...17-android-1-0-driver-problem-check-here.html

Also, when installing the Android SDK for adb & fastboot it's necessary to manually edit the PATH to point to the platform-tools folder. (This might be common knowledge, but it cost me some time, so I figured I'd post for other first-timers to see.)

So far no OTA option to 4.1, but at least 4.0.4 is an improvement over the 4.0.1 I was stuck with before.

The fastboot drivers, for whatever reason, are always the roadblock.

For most users I recommend using a toolkit to set up the drivers, if only because it makes life a bit easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

linhnv

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

anyone help me,
at : fastboot flash system system.img
I got an error " can not load "system.img"
:(
now my phone be locked :((
help me please

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

anyone help me,
at : fastboot flash system system.img
I got an error " can not load "system.img"
:(
now my phone be locked :((
help me please

Did you unlock the bootloader first?

Have you unzipped the image file and put all of the files in the same directory as Fastboot and ADB?

linhnv

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

yeah,I did, following your following your guide, but get the error "error: cannot load 'system.img'
Can you please help me though skype ? my skype : linhnv.106
thanks

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yeah,I did, following your following your guide, but get the error "error: cannot load 'system.img'
Can you please help me though skype ? my skype : linhnv.106
thanks

Try redownloading it and unzipping it again. Be sure you're rebooting the bootloader between commands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Jaschneid

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I just want to make sure that i can do this to my verizon phone and it will work. I have never unlocked my phone before and want to try this. i just want to make sure that if and when i do it all right it will connect back to the Verizon network. I should get the update Jelly bean update right. I just dont want to either brick my phone or do this for nothing at all.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I just want to make sure that i can do this to my verizon phone and it will work. I have never unlocked my phone before and want to try this. i just want to make sure that if and when i do it all right it will connect back to the Verizon network. I should get the update Jelly bean update right. I just dont want to either brick my phone or do this for nothing at all.

No. This is not for your device. You do not have a GSM device, you have a Verizon device. The only way for you to get Jelly Bean is to unlock and flash a Jelly Bean rom.

Reactions: Jaschneid

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

is this easier than the xda how to guide?? it seems to have less steps and I would like to take the easiest safest route.

I have yakjuzs 4.0.4 build IMM76K

I recall flashing only once before on my nexus one, dont recall how I did it but it was a success. Later on I ended up rooting it and bricked it lol Got the gnex after that and have gone stock but seeing as how it took several months to get 4.0.4 im not sure I want to wait for Samsung to push JB