Jelly Bean Bluetooth Voice Dialing is totally useless

techie1961

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I just received the update to Jelly Bean and the voice dialing over Bluetooth is totally useless. I did some searching and noticed that others are having similar issues. When i was using ICS, I got a relatively good recognition hit but with JB, it doesn't find a single name; ever!

Google, please do something with this ASAP. I desperately need voice dialing as I am on the road all of the time and have to use Bluetooth.

iKron

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just use Jeanie App until Google gets this whole asinine CrApple Universal Search w/ Voice Actions thing ironed out. They had to pull it when iCrAppleholics started crying about Google Voice Actions being better than Siri. So don't blame Google or your device maker for stupid iCrAp removal of Universal Search and Voice Actions.

We need to start a drive and make some noise about this. So this asinine bunch of morons at the Appeals Court realize that Universal Search has been being used long before CrApple got either the patent for Universal Search in 2004 or this new Siri Universal Search just granted in December 2011! ........how about that? They just applied for it 8 months earlier. While Google has been waiting 4 years for Notifications Patent to be granted! :mad:

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I made 6 calls today initiated from my Bluetooth, handled by the stock AOSP Google Now application. It recognized me perfectly and launched each call with no issue.

My advice, get a better Bluetooth.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
unfortunatly 3rd party bluetooth dialer apps no longer work under jelly bean without disabling google search entirely

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I made 6 calls today initiated from my Bluetooth, handled by the stock AOSP Google Now application. It recognized me perfectly and launched each call with no issue.

My advice, get a better Bluetooth.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

Did you use Voice Dial, where you press the BT headset talk button to activate it, or did you use Voice Search, where you initiate the call from the phone? For me, Voice Search dials correctly every time, but Voice Dial gets it wrong every time.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I removes voice dial as Google Now replaces its functionality. I initiate call from Bluetooth and it is handled by Google Now's built in voice dial functionality. Sorry, should have mentioned that before. Might have been helpful for others.

Sent from my Stock AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I removes voice dial as Google Now replaces its functionality. I initiate call from Bluetooth and it is handled by Google Now's built in voice dial functionality. Sorry, should have mentioned that before. Might have been helpful for others.

Wow, you're the only person I've seen that has posted success with it! Dialing through Voice Search works but Google Voice Dial itself never gets the name right. Did you do something to get it to recognize the names you were calling?

Please take a look at all the posts about this Google issue: Issue 35199 - android - Bluetooth voice dialing completely inaccurate on Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.1.1 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you're the only person I've seen that has posted success with it! Dialing through Voice Search works but Google Voice Dial itself never gets the name right. Did you do something to get it to recognize the names you were calling?

Please take a look at all the posts about this Google issue: Issue 35199 - android - Bluetooth voice dialing completely inaccurate on Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.1.1 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Neither voice search or voice dial are usable for me with bluetooth. Don't bother telling me its my bluetooth device because it works perfectly on JB with the cyberon voice dialer. Unfortunately I have to disable google search to use Cyberon on JB. I am clearly better off on ICS than JB until they fix the problem, assuming that they ultimately will fix it. I'm not confident that they will. Google search is so embedded that it may never coexist with a third party dialer any longer.

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I am also now facing the issue with voice dialing and Bluetooth since the ota Verizon upgrade. It's driving me nuts with a 100% failure rate and I really don't want to have to disable search to fix it. Has anyone heard of any other ways around it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am also now facing the issue with voice dialing and Bluetooth since the ota Verizon upgrade. It's driving me nuts with a 100% failure rate and I really don't want to have to disable search to fix it. Has anyone heard of any other ways around it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Yes, there is a workaround. You can install the AOKP jelly bean rom. Apparent they left the old voice dialer intact on their JB port. I've been using it for several weeks and its probably more reliable than the stock rom and the dialer is functional again. I've heard CM10 also works in a similar way. Third party dialers still don't work but the old stock dialer works and is very accurate. I've actually been using the gsm version but I think there is also a Verizon version if you're bootloader is unlocked.

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks @ncguy . I had hoped I would get away without rooting as I also have my mother on a nexus in another state and really don't want to try to walk her through it. I may have to for myself though as I seriously am annoyed.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks @ncguy . I had hoped I would get away without rooting as I also have my mother on a nexus in another state and really don't want to try to walk her through it. I may have to for myself though as I seriously am annoyed.

The interface isn't that much different. I wouldn't think that it would cause a problem.

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
@ncguy I'm not worried about the interface so much as trying to walk my mother through rooting her phone remotely in order to fix it on hers too. lol. Me rooting while not something I wanted to do right now is do-able; walking her through it to give her back her bluetooth voice functionality is the stuff of nightmare. On the positive side the bug has got a lot of additional comments in the last day. Maybe more people will star it. (Issue 35199 - android - Bluetooth voice dialing completely inaccurate on Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.1.1 - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting)

LATom

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've tried the factory data reset suggested by Verizon after the OTA JellyBean update without any success. Voice Dialing is 100% wrong - Truly Useless. How does one initiate voice dialing through Google Search using Bluetooth (one touch dialing as required by many states for commercial drivers)?

Has Google officially acknowledged this issue? There is no shortage of posts on forums, but I haven't seen anything indicating that a fix is in the works.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've tried the factory data reset suggested by Verizon after the OTA JellyBean update without any success. Voice Dialing is 100% wrong - Truly Useless. How does one initiate voice dialing through Google Search using Bluetooth (one touch dialing as required by many states for commercial drivers)?

Has Google officially acknowledged this issue? There is no shortage of posts on forums, but I haven't seen anything indicating that a fix is in the works.

No they haven't acknowledged it yet AFAIK. Keep in mind that to date less than 2% of Android users are on JB. In my opinion the noise level is about to ramp up as all the new devices start shipping with JB.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I want my BT headset to use Google Now by default instead of voice dialer. How did you set yours up this way?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I was able to use Titanium Backup to freeze Google Search, and then use the BTconnection to manage Voice Calls and other functions with the a 3rd party app (Vlingo InCar beta). The app gave me good results on contact recognition, so I'm pleased that I at least I have a temporary workaround for the problem. After Unfreezing Google Search, everything seems to be back to normal.

The process isn't exactly convenient, and I hope Google properly fixes this problem very soon.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I was able to use Titanium Backup to freeze Google Search, and then use the BTconnection to manage Voice Calls and other functions with the a 3rd party app (Vlingo InCar beta). The app gave me good results on contact recognition, so I'm pleased that I at least I have a temporary workaround for the problem. After Unfreezing Google Search, everything seems to be back to normal.

The process isn't exactly convenient, and I hope Google properly fixes this problem very soon.

Interesting. What do you sacrifice with search frozen out?

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. What do you sacrifice with search frozen out?

I didn't test it exhaustively - just a quick run in the car. The Google Search grey bar on the home screen was still there, but blank, and I assumed that would be unresponsive, but in addition to the Bluetooth calling capability, I was able to use the app for navigation from the BT button. I haven't yet tried any of the other app BT functions.

Using the phone directly, I was still able to search locations in Maps, and contacts in People.

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I didn't test it exhaustively - just a quick run in the car. The Google Search grey bar on the home screen was still there, but blank, and I assumed that would be unresponsive, but in addition to the Bluetooth calling capability, I was able to use the app for navigation from the BT button. I haven't yet tried any of the other app BT functions.

Using the phone directly, I was still able to search locations in Maps, and contacts in People.

Thanks for that info. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I had completely given up on my third party dialer. I'm anxious to see if it will work.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith