unrestricted use of portable hotspot

paul-popper

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I've a gnex, takju, 4.1.1. It's rooted.

I want to be sure I'll have unrestricted use of portable hotspot when I travel in Europe, where I'll be inserting local pre-paid sims into my gnex. Portable hotspot is working fine with my Koodo (Canada) sim.

So I want to be sure my gnex doesn't ask for carrier permission when I enable portable hotspot, and doesn't let the carrier prevent me using portable hotspot. Any ideas? :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Carrier can't really restrict use of hotspot or tether on an unlocked device. You've got nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Info. Carriers most definitely did restrict the use of hotspot on my previous factory unlocked iphone 4 purchased from Apple. That's why I'm worried :(

Its because Apple provides IMEI's to carriers for unlocked iPhones and has flags in the OS for tethering by default. An unlocked GNex doesn't have these flags.

Of course if a carrier really wants to know that you're tethering they can find out by inspecting packets, but that's not very likely. The easiest and most popular way they find out is by having flags in the OS for when the tethering feature is turned on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol