The Perfect Motorcycle Mount

crowned

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Howdy--I'm looking to mount my GSM (POGO pin) Nexus Galaxy on my motorcycle, for use in dry weather.

CRADLE:
I'm planning to modify one of the Galaxy nexus car mounts, either the Verizon one with no pins or the GSM one with POGO pins.

POWER:
Power will be wired through the ignition to a 1 Amp car cigarette lighter 12V -> 5V voltage regulator under the tank and out of the way. Either powering the POGO pins (GSM mount) or powering a micro USB cable (Verizon mount)

1. Pogo pins would be nice, but I'd be worried about them in the rain. Also, if I get another phone, I'll have to rewire at least... something, since it won't be able to charge from that cradle.

2. The other options is the Verizon mount, with no POGO pins.
uses a normal usb charger. Advantage is that no electrical connectors are exposed in the rain, and if I get another phone, I can just bolt on a new cradle and plug a new USB cable into the cigarette lighter.

MOUNTING:
I'm going to bolt the back of the cradle to a RAM ball on the back of the clutch lever, or otherwise mount it on the fork, perhaps on an extended washer under the steering head nut

CAR HOME:
With either mount, I'll have to install Car Home. With the verizon mount, I'll have to use an NFC chip on the back of the cradle to activate Car Home.

That sounds like a plan, no? Any advice much appreciated!

crowned

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you think the pogo pins would short out in the rain? Could I mount it upside down, so the pins could be on "top" if the phone is horizontal and slanting toward me, or does Car Home always orient the phone in one direction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech