How stable is this phone?

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on an Optimus V, and over here I go through 10+ battery pulls a day. It's so unstable!! I need something new, and I was considering buying the Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store and activating it on T-Mobile's $30 a month monthly4G prepaid plan.
But I need to know,
How stable is this phone? I'm not planning to root since it's already being constantly updated from Google.
But I've gone through a Samsung Intercept and currently the Optimus V.
Both have been absolutely terrible to me in terms of stability.
Can this phone get the job done without constant freezing/battery pulls/random reboots?
I play lots of games, don't call alot, text ALOT, play lots of music, and am on social networks/browsing the net alot, too.
Can I get it done, smoothly? I'd like to ask owners of this phone.
Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I run my phone stock and have had maybe 3 freezes that required a battery pull or just hard rebooted itself. Those were back on 4.0.2 as well. Since 4.0.4 and now 4.1.1, I've yet to have those issues. I don't get too out of control installing tons of apps, but I definitely use my phone for everything and don't take it easy.

Reactions: Encerspay45

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I run my phone stock and have had maybe 3 freezes that required a battery pull or just hard rebooted itself. Those were back on 4.0.2 as well. Since 4.0.4 and now 4.1.1, I've yet to have those issues. I don't get too out of control installing tons of apps, but I definitely use my phone for everything and don't take it easy.

Helpful. Thanks!

tsp907

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Three months on my GSM gnex w/Tmobile 30 and mine has been solid. Only rebooted once on hang but that was 4.04.
Lovin it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rweeks

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I to am looking to upgrade from my ov, which has been a very good phone. (rooted and running Harmonia). I was considering a galaxy nexus on T-Mobile's $30 a month plan, or go with the one v and stay with vm. I have read only alittle about the nexus, and so far I see a lot of talk about quality issues and poor battery life. I like the specs of the nexus, but I have not read many issues with the one v.
Are the things I have been reading just exceptions?

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes there are bad apples in the bunch, I guess. That said, I've had my GN for nearly two months without one battery pull.

rweeks

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
That's true. Thanks for the reply.
If I may ask, how has your battery life been compared to previous phones?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

The battery life isn't fantastic by any stretch, but of course its really dependent on how you use it. Life from one person doesn't really give you an indication of what yours will be like.

Personally, I can expect about ~15 hours of total battery life, with ~3 hours of "screen on" time. That's with background data on, sync on, several accounts with push notifications, and a few widgets. I don't do anything special to try and save battery life, I just use my device.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
How stable is this phone? I'm not planning to root since it's already being constantly updated from Google.
But I've gone through a Samsung Intercept and currently the Optimus V.
Both have been absolutely terrible to me in terms of stability.
Can this phone get the job done without constant freezing/battery pulls/random reboots?

On JB and recent ICS I've never needed a battery pull and only an occasional random reboot.

I do like to power off and restart my phone weekly as that was required on ICS, not sure about JB.

However you may wish to consider the possibility that an app you install causes the problem.
An app like "http://www.appbrain.com/app/catlog-logcat-reader/com.nolanlawson.logcat" allows you to capture the log up until very shortly before reboot (want to set option to buffer very little), you want want to examine the log to see whats causing it.

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm not a power user, by any stretch. I rarely stream videos and don't play CPU-intensive games. My first smartphone was a Blackberry 9700, which has the best battery life of any phone I've owned. Before the GN, I had an Atrix 4G; it was a battery hog if the screen was on for any significant length of time. I get a full days use out of my GN with the stock battery and usually part of the next morning (e-mail, Twitter, and apps). I'm very happy with this phone's performance with stock JB (unlocked bootloader, no root).

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Have had the GNex I guess a month, have had no problems, rebooted once before Jelly Bean....I find battery life more than acceptable...but having a charger here at my desk has never bothered me ....again I am not out in the field all day with no access to power....I play games on this, text a lot, I use this phone to access twitter and facebook more than I do on my laptop etc.....got one for my niece and she reports no problems with here......she is on T mobile pre-paid....

get the phone, you will love it.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since the beginning of December, and the only time I have had to do a battery pull is when it was my fault installing a ROM or kernel or something. Its a work of art!

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I recently traded my iPhone 4s for the Gnex but honestly I love this phone. I haven't had any issues. Is the battery life bad? Yes but for me I'm used to it w other android phones I've had. It is a really awesome phone. I am rooted and overclocked and use my phone often. Like now I'm tethering my tablet to it. And it is nomming away at my battery. But I love the 4g so it is all good in my book!

SteveMW

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had my GNex for log (it came with JB waiting to be installed) but so far I'm confident that I will not have to learn how to pry off the Otterbox commuter case to pull the battery.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is fine, performance is phenomenal, and stability is utterly fantastic. Don't assume I'm a fanboy. I've been involved in rooting and have helped with development for some time with the Epic and the Moment. I know what it's like to deal with a crappy device (the moment). As long as you don't get a dud (which can happen with any device, and can always be replaced) you will absolutely love this device. I know I do.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It's a good phone, very stable. No issues here. But like all electronics sometimes things just need to be rebooted once in awhile so if that happens no biggie IMO. But so far nothing major has happened.