Thoughts from a Microsoft fan

baileystein

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Let me just say-I love microsoft. I love Windows 8 and Windows Phones, but I took a break from both to take a look at android.

I bought a Google Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7.

I'll be the first to admit that android is very different.

I don't really like the UI as much, but the customization is beyond what I have would have ever imagined. I love stock android. Period.

Face unlock is cool. NFC is pure awesome. EDGE seems faster.

But...Google Now is limited, I no longer have FB integration, and my icons don't dance.

I'm sticking with android until october and I'm going to time it JUST right so that I sell my device before the next nexus.

Read my blog: simplyreviewing.com

I miss my Windows Phone, but I love android.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that I got Facebook integration as soon as I installed the official Facebook app. I can even upload a picture directly from the camera app :D it's nice :)

TechFitGJ

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see you're enjoying Android. As for Facebook, you need to have the application installed. Be sure to let us know if you have any more questions or issues with your devices and Android in general.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I to decided to take a look at android having used a wp Trophy for about a year and a palm pre+ previous to that. I wanted to take some myself to try it out and see the differences with wp while waiting to see how things develop with wp8 on Verizon. So far I'm enjoying my Nexus very much. The nitifications capabilities are great compaired to wp. I do think wp inyegrates Facebook better if your really into that. I've found myself liking both formats though and will probably stick with my Nexus for a few months at least and see what develops in the phone market. A lot going on with wp8, iPhone 5 and really nice looking andriods coming out and see how they get Jelly Bean out more to that market of users.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I am in pretty much the same boat as the OP. My gf got an Android phone and since she likes to play those Zynga games which are (currently) missing from the WP marketplace it gave me a perfect excuse to try out Android. I picked up a Galaxy Nexus and must admit I do like it a lot.

Coming from a WP 7.5 device which I love to Jelly Bean has been an interesting experience. I really like the Nexus but
there definitely are pros and cons to both. Missing the People hub and Facebook integration are probably the most apparent. Then there's smaller things like being able to switch between text message, Facebook chat, and msn messenger within the same thread.

That's not to say I don't like the Android OS. A robust marketplace is a huge advantage. WPs app support, while growing everyday, still lags well behind Google play. It's nice to have such a large selection. I am digging the customization and I've only had the phone since Tuesday. All told I will probably switch back for WP8 but the choice isn't as clear as it was a week ago which I think is a good thing

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am in pretty much the same boat as the OP. My gf got an
Missing the People hub and Facebook integration are probably the most apparent. Then there's smaller things like being able to switch between text message, Facebook chat, and msn messenger within the same thread.

Install facebook app from market and facbook is integrated... Android is not like WP or iOS where Apple and Microsoft need to add the functionality to the OS.. Apps can pretty much integrated with the OS... If you install Twitter App Twitter is integrated to the OS...
Google gave integration power to app developers which is a good thing..

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I did install the Facebook app and noticed I can upload photos but I didn't see much else that could be done without the app. I don't know if you've used WP before but their integration is a bit different.

You pretty much don't need to load the app for anything. You can see your contacts status in the People Hub which is basically your contact list. If you think of it like how Android is laid out it would be like going to your contacts and under their phone number, email, etc is their most recent status update. You swipe to the right and you can see their entire wall. From there you can reply, comment, like, whatever all without ever loading an app. It very convenient and I hope Google adds something like that cause that is one of the big things WP does well.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The people hub in WP is not full featured though; you still need to utilize the standalone apps for a lot of things in Facebook.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And u can link your fb contacts to your phone book and see status updates straight from there just like wp and add the fb widget and u can see your friends status right from the many home screens on your phone lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I did install the Facebook app and noticed I can upload photos but I didn't see much else that could be done without the app. I don't know if you've used WP before but their integration is a bit different.

You pretty much don't need to load the app for anything. You can see your contacts status in the People Hub which is basically your contact list. If you think of it like how Android is laid out it would be like going to your contacts and under their phone number, email, etc is their most recent status update. You swipe to the right and you can see their entire wall. From there you can reply, comment, like, whatever all without ever loading an app. It very convenient and I hope Google adds something like that cause that is one of the big things WP does well.

I have used Wp just a few times but I get what you are saying about FB in People Hub!!! like Mellimel22 who posted above said YES, IT'S THERE IN ANDROID... People Hub in WP is called People App in Android..
People Hub is a contact App in WP.. If you open Contact App in Android and select a contact and swipe to your left you will see there feeds like google+ or Facebook...

Note: there is a setting in contact app which can hide other contacts like facebook... you have to make sure they are checked and made visible

Last edited:

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called haxsync which can integrate Facebook contacts into the people app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I have used Wp just a few times but I get what you are saying about FB in People Hub!!! like Mellimel22 who posted above said YES, IT'S THERE IN ANDROID... People Hub in WP is called People App in Android..
People Hub is a contact App in WP.. If you open Contact App in Android and select a contact and swipe to your left you will see there feeds like google+ or Facebook...

Note: there is a setting in contact app which can hide other contacts like facebook... you have to make sure they are checked and made visible

I just downloaded the contact app and that is awesome! Thanks for the tip

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm enjoying the discussions here and in the thread I started discussing moving from WP7.5 to android. Helping a newbie like me to learn using the OS.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc