I've looked all over the settings options and can't find anything to have my incoming text messages read. Am I missing it or is it just not there?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    08-14-2012 08:27 PM
    Looked in Settings > Accessibility > Text-to-speech output ?
    08-14-2012 10:19 PM
    I think you need to have TalkBack installed too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-14-2012 11:25 PM
    I do have text to speech turned on but still nothing. If it requires talk back to be on too that sucks cause I find that highly annoying. I'm sure it's great if you're blind but not so much if you aren't

08-15-2012 10:12 AM
    you can install an app like Vlingo to have your incoming text messages read aloud to you (and able to transcribe + SEND messages without touching the phone).

i love it. bit of a battery hog. but i've used it to have a text conversation (completely 100% hands free) for 2 hours while driving.

great app for in-car use.
    MRKV likes this.
    08-15-2012 02:26 PM
    Tasker can definitely do this.

It'll require you to fork over $6, but the added functionality Tasker gives is golden. I haven't even had the opportunity to setup the auto-read text yet, just because there are so many other profiles I'm setting up to automate stuff.

Tasker Guide on LifeHacker
    MRKV likes this.
    08-15-2012 04:55 PM
    Geeze, I tried to play with Talkback and then it took over the phone. I couldn't turn it off or shut down the phone or anything. Had to pull the battery. Now cannot get into the settings to shut the damn thing off!
    08-16-2012 11:21 AM
    Geeze, I tried to play with Talkback and then it took over the phone. I couldn't turn it off or shut down the phone or anything. Had to pull the battery. Now cannot get into the settings to shut the damn thing off!
    Talkback is for physically impaired people mainly for blind!!
    08-16-2012 11:45 AM
    Lol that's what happened to me too which is why I would rather not use it if TalkBack was required.

Thanks for the app suggestions
    08-16-2012 11:45 AM
    Well, I eventually was able to disable it. Had to look up all the blind screen gestures so I could move around to do it.
    08-17-2012 11:06 AM
    Handcent SMS does read texts automatically.
    08-17-2012 01:38 PM
    I'm sure there are lots of apps that do, though the original question ("can Google Now do it?") appears to be a disappointing "no" for right now.

Skyvi seems to do a pretty good job, though from my limited experience it's kind of annoying (You have to tap the message to have it read it out loud, you have to hit a button to reply, and you can never get a text message in the background of anything, because it always pops up in front of whatever you're doing to give you those options; AFAICT you have to reply or mark it as read *right away* to get it out of your face.) When you want to use your phone primarily for listening to text messages read to you and replying by speech-to-text, though, it's pretty neat. (Though I wish the text to speech could insert capitalization or punctuation, too, but so far I haven't seen any of either.)
    11-15-2013 01:48 PM
    I've looked all over the settings options and can't find anything to have my incoming text messages read. Am I missing it or is it just not there?

Settings, General, accessability, vision, message/call voice notifications
    12-24-2016 08:49 AM

The problem was solved for me on S7 Nougat 7.0 by switching from stock Messaging app to SMS MESSAGES app by soppalodapps. Works great for SMS/MMS messages, and Android Auto and Google Assistant can read last message! 😀
    10-29-2017 07:03 PM
    The problem was solved for me on S7 Nougat 7.0 by switching from stock Messaging app to SMS MESSAGES app by soppalodapps. Works great for SMS/MMS messages, and Android Auto and Google Assistant can read last message! 😀
    I have been using a windows phone since day one and tried to switch to android and never could get the texts to read aloud. Windows has been doing it since day 1. So I went to Ebay and got a Microsoft 640XL
    02-10-2018 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD