GNex: Nothing but problems. Cheap hardware

gws68

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been through 3 Google Nexus (gsm) phones in less than 2 months. I just sent back one to Samsung today because it was randomly turning off on me. Every day. Samsung was good to send me a new replacement and that arrived today. Right out of the box there is a problem with the screen in that it gives off a textured, scratched look. Vertical lines as if columns of LEDs are not lit. Looks terrible. Looks like I am looking through a window screen when I look at the phone. Called Google who connected me to Samsung, who left me on hold for 20 minutes. I hung up. I replied to Google and told them I want a refund. This is a joke that I can't seem to get a phone that has no issues. I think Google needs to start demanding higher quality standards from manufacturers of what they brand as pure Google devices. This GNex feels cheap and, from my experiencs, performs poorly. I can't blame Jellybean -- maybe for the random shut downs -- but now I know why this phone is relatively cheap. Get what you pay for.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
>join forum of what you should assume are happy users looking for/giving advice
>forum for arguably the best phone on the market
>write long post about how you have had a bad experience
>but ask for no help or make any profound statements
>possibly expect sympathy

sucks for you, but you are in the minority. cry somewhere else.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean is an awesome OS I enjoyed it for 5 days untill I sent my (second) defective unit back to Google and still waiting for my refund. My first one was overheating like crazy just from a few minutes of web browsing, you could make an omelette with that thing I swear... The second one had a faulty GPS and there was a bright vertical line across the screen. I also must add that Samsung's CS completely, utterly sucks as well as Google's CS and 20 minutes that you had to wait is nothing compared to over an hour I had to wait to set up my RMA. So I'm very disappointed with whole experience with the Nexus phone. And since I sold my GS 2 Skyrocket which I used prior to my Nexus saga I went ahead and used my available line upgrade to get an iPhone. So here is what I think after all this that happend. Samsung uses mostly cheap materials for their devices and their Quality Assurance is nonexistent. Way too many faulty devices, way too many... Also I never expected from such a huge corporation as Google to suck so much at customer service, I wish they had the same level of CS as Apple has. So all this makes me really sad and lately I begun to think that even if Google will announce new Nexus devices by the end of this year I will most likely go with the iPhone 5 mainly because of the Apple's excellent customer services. I just don't want to and cannot afford loosing money and time with another poorly supported device. Btw I've been an android user for two years and before that I had blackberry phones and this is my first iPhone. ( my family members have iPads though including me so I had only positive experience with Apple CS)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Excuse me but I disagree, this forum is one of the many many forums dedicated to GNex and a simple google search will show you lots of forums and threads about GNex issues. (and not just this phone but other Samsung phones too) So if people have problems and are frustrated because of their negative experience why can't they post in the forum about it? thats what the forums are for right? You don't really expect to see only positive stuff here correct?
Besides, "forum for arguably the best phone on the market" arguably, because I've had a much better experience with my Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket for over 6 month until Samsung managed to completely screw it up with their lame ICS update
Edit:
I'd say the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X fall more into definition "the best phone in the market" because hardware-wise these two devices really are the best as of today. Idk about the percentage of faulty units though...

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me but I disagree, this forum is one of the many many forums dedicated to GNex and a simple google search will show you lots of forums and threads about GNex issues. (and not just this phone but other Samsung phones too) So if people have problems and are frustrated because of their negative experience why can't they post in the forum about it? thats what the forums are for right? You don't really expect to see only positive stuff here correct?
Besides, "forum for arguably the best phone on the market" arguably, because I've had a much better experience with my Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket for over 6 month until Samsung managed to completely screw it up with their lame ICS update
Edit:
I'd say the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X fall more into definition "the best phone in the market" because hardware-wise these two devices really are the best as of today. Idk about the percentage of faulty units though...

Correction, the gsIII and the EVO LTE are the best phones on the market

I don't know why people make the one x out to be the gold standard when the EVO LTE is the improved version of it (bigger battery, kickstand, sd card slot, native Google wallet support). One x is only the third best

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why people make the one x out to be the gold standard when the EVO LTE is the improved version of it (bigger battery, kickstand, sd card slot, native Google wallet support). One x is only the third best

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks:) I didn't know about this phone, there are so many high end android devices it's easy to lose track of them lol

gws68

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Sorry you don't want to hear bad news. But I am only relaying MY experiences. I wish I had no issues and my device was part of the majority. Then we can just wax poetic about how brilliant the GNex is and all feel warm and fuzzy inside. But it hasn't been that way. I can't complain about the customer service because they are willing to give me a refund or replace the phone. But my point is that perhaps this hardware isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I've owned dozens of devices since the early 90s from all different makers, and this is by far the most trouble I've ever had with a piece of hardware. Right out of the box. Google needs to push for higher quality standards. This all-plastic, no gorilla glass device doesn't have a high end feel. It's got a killer OS, in a rather cheap and faulty exterior.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Considering the comparison of the Sprint network and the AT&T network, this instantly puts both phones back on the same level or even gives advantage to the One X. Not to mention that many people find the Evo's design a bit ugly.

But regardless, there's no way you can rank phones like that and definitively say that the top phones are only ranked in a specific order. It really comes down to personal preference. Your top 3 are not my top 3, etc...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Considering the comparison of the Sprint network and the AT&T network, this instantly puts both phones back on the same level or even gives advantage to the One X. Not to mention that many people find the Evo's design a bit ugly.

But regardless, there's no way you can rank phones like that and definitively say that the top phones are only ranked in a specific order. It really comes down to personal preference. Your top 3 are not my top 3, etc...

This.

My only substantive addition is that for me, ranking phones according to hardware is insufficient. Software is big. And thus for me, none of those two devices match a GN when paired with JB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Andrew Martonik

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow the fanboys are something else on here.. anyhow OP.. my phone is having the same issue with random shut downs.. Verizon is sending a replacement but tried acting like it was exclusive to my phone

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the "window screen" columns of LEDs issues the OP talks about just a characteristic of the pentile display? I noticed it on mine especially with a white background at low brightness. I'm only asking to make sure it's normal (never had a pentile display device and have heard the tech reviewers say that some people personally can't stand it)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the "window screen" columns of LEDs issues the OP talks about just a characteristic of the pentile display? I noticed it on mine especially with a white background at low brightness. I'm only asking to make sure it's normal (never had a pentile display device and have heard the tech reviewers say that some people personally can't stand it)

My first Gnex didn't have any screen columns or lines visible on the white background at all, it did however have a few dark blotches visible on a black background in the dark room. My Galaxy S2 (all three devices) had these blotches. It is normal for the Super Amoled displays to have them, this is basically the disadvantage of the SAmoled tech, you will find this on every Samsung phone. and i didn't mind it as long as I didnt see any lines on a white background because you can see them every time you turn the screen on. and when I received my second and last Gnex it had exactly this nasty bright line. This is due to poor Samsung's quality assurance which has been already discussed in many forums. When I was playing with the GS3 at AT&T store the screen looked really amazing and it didn't have any lines at all, So I'd recommend to exchnage your device if these lines really bother you...

Last edited:

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My first Gnex didn't have any screen columns or lines visible on the white background at all, it did however have a few dark blotches visible on a black background in the dark room. My Galaxy S2 (all three devices) had these blotches. It is normal for the Super Amoled displays to have them, this is basically the disadvantage of the SAmoled tech, you will find this on every Samsung phone. and i didn't mind it as long as I didnt see any lines on a white background because you can see them every time you turn the screen on. and when I received my second and last Gnex it had exactly this nasty bright line. This is due to poor Samsung's quality assurance which has been already discussed in many forums. When I was playing with the GS3 at AT&T store the screen looked really amazing and it didn't have any lines at all, So I'd recommend to exchnage your device if these lines really bother you...

Luckily I don't have the black blotchiness. It's not really visible lines you see it's that on a lighter background with lower brightness you can see very faintly the subpixels of the pentile matrix. I was just bringing it up to say that what the original poster may see as a defect with the phone is jut a side effect of a screen technology that is a personal preference.

Is it enough for me to deal with Google and exchange my phone especially since I bought one still in the box second hand for $250? Probably not.

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i got my Gnex when google started selling them on the Play store and had no problems. but from reading folks problems sounds like they read about the problems other folks are having and looking for them on the phone they have when they never noticed the problem before. thats just my 2 Cents and No Phone is PERFECT every phone has its issues from iCRAPS to Windows and Andorids. my bad added an extra 2 cents. :)

Robk812

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Relaying my experiences, for what it's worth....

Had an HTC One X, really liked it but was constantly annoyed with all the ATT crap that comes loaded in it you can't get rid of. I know you can root the phone to get rid of them but I am always hesitant to do things that can void warranty, that's just me.

Anyways, got the Nexus 7 tablet and liked it so much, I wanted my phone to be the same simple experience with Google Now and without other things I didn't want. Have had my GNex for about a week and it has been pretty much flawless. I don't see any kind of a measurable performance difference between this phone and my recently Ebayed away One X. I don't know if I am the lucky one or the exception to the rule or whatever but so far My GNex has been a lot of fun.

Reactions: Reno Skyy

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I have one small blotch. Drives me insane lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
got my replacement last friday, long story short everything worked fine but the 3g connection was always dropping. As I was explaining this to the techs @ verizon, they asked me to reboot into safe mode.. by turning it off, and holding the volume button down when it was rebooting. I accidentally held down the power and volume down key at the same time.. and my phone booted into odin mode. I explained to the tech my phone had odin on it and he said that because of that he was going to send me a replacement over night. so I get my 2nd replacement tomorrow.. hopefully it doesnt have odin on it and/or data connection issues.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
got my replacement last friday, long story short everything worked fine but the 3g connection was always dropping. As I was explaining this to the techs @ verizon, they asked me to reboot into safe mode.. by turning it off, and holding the volume button down when it was rebooting. I accidentally held down the power and volume down key at the same time.. and my phone booted into odin mode. I explained to the tech my phone had odin on it and he said that because of that he was going to send me a replacement over night. so I get my 2nd replacement tomorrow.. hopefully it doesnt have odin on it and/or data connection issues.

All Samsung devices (AFAIK) have Odin. That's completely normal (but with a Nexus device somewhat pointless). Do you mean that a wrong "finger" combination got into Odin, or were you upset at Odin generally being there?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind having Odin on there.. I just immediately assumed it was a third party program installed and I basically said I wasn't happy about it being on there and it sped up the replacement process.
I never knew Odin came stock on android phones, I thought I remembered installing it on my fascinate when I put ICS on it last year.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind having Odin on there.. I just immediately assumed it was a third party program installed and I basically said I wasn't happy about it being on there and it sped up the replacement process.
I never knew Odin came stock on android phones, I thought I remembered installing it on my fascinate when I put ICS on it last year.

It's not an Android thing, it's a Samsung thing.

Also, unless ish really hits the fan, you should never have to use ODIN. The Galaxy Nexus is perfectly capable of doing everything via fastboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmmarck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech