Who said the Nexus can't take good photos...

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Golfing in Wenatchee this weekend:

View attachment 34619

Taking pictures of the sunrise. Not the best clarity, but I expected it to be much worse considering it was about 6:00am and very low light, which the GNex usually does poorly with:

View attachment 34620

Took these at Seattle Center a couple months back:

View attachment 34621

View attachment 34622

None of these were touched up or post-processed. Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with the camera performance on the GNex. If I need a real picture, I have a real camera. This works well for quick shots though.

A little touchup in Lightroom quickly improves these shots (of course):

View attachment 34637View attachment 34638View attachment 34639View attachment 34640

Last edited:

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see all these shots side-by-side with another camera (One X or iPhone 4s) having taken the same picture. Then we'd really see the difference.

And then let's see THOSE next the same photos from a D3100. I bet you could still tell the One X and iPhone 4s shots came from a phone.

Actually I don't even think the average person would see the difference between pics taken on a Galaxy Nexus and one taken with those other phones you mention. The technical advantages just aren't that great.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want to see a good picture from an Android phone, put the HTC One X in HDR mode and snap a landscape. You won't be talking up the Nexus' camera anymore.

The problem is, if I want to take a truly "good" picture, when I am going out with the intention of shooting pictures, I am going to use an actual camera, period.

Everything produced by a phone is, well, phone pics. Yes there are cameras out there - One X, S III, iPhone 4S - that have the technical capability to produce better photos than the Galaxy Nexus. Most people can't tell the difference. And most people simply can't leverage the technical advantages of a One X over a Nexus to produce a meaningfully better photograph.

And anyway, most photos taken by phones are candid shots destined for facebook and the like, where the technical advantages are essentially pointless.

Reactions: Syrous44

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
However, there are a few people I fallow on instagram that post pics only taken by their phones. I got to tell you some amazing shots taken. I find that am using my camera and cam corder less and my phone more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Photography is my hobby and I know a few things about this subject. When people say one phone camera sucks compared to the other, mostly it's laughable. It's rather which one sucks less in some cases. Sure in perfect lighting, any camera will take good pictures. In challenging lighting, good luck with whatever the latest phone camera. There is a reason why Nikon charges and people pays $5500 for D4.

Anyway, photography is about capturing THE moments and getting right composition than which camera has less sucky ISO performance.

For the purpose, Nexus meets more than its need.

Reactions: Syrous44

shutterhead

May 12, 2011
Visit site
@dcdttu --- This is the phone you have right now, right? And you're taking awesome HDR's in Colorado, right? So continue doing that until the ultimate Nexus arrives, which may just be be the next iteration.

But I think this thread should (and probably was meant to be) less about talking the camera up and more about saying it's a decent shooter. Heck, my iPad"3" takes better pictures (and video) than my GNEX but my Nexus is what's always in my hand ... and I wouldn't dare carry around the OneX because I'm a Google purist when it comes to my phone so those are some of the compromises we each choose to make.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Photography is my hobby and I know a few things about this subject. When people say one phone camera sucks compared to the other, mostly it's laughable. It's rather which one sucks less in some cases. Sure in perfect lighting, any camera will take good pictures. In challenging lighting, good luck with whatever the latest phone camera. There is a reason why Nikon charges and people pays $5500 for D4.

Anyway, photography is about capturing THE moments and getting right composition than which camera has less sucky ISO performance.

For the purpose, Nexus meets more than its need.

I agree. It's just that 5MP does not give that much room to crop and edit photos through post-processing.

Most phones with 5MP cameras and up all seemed to take fine photos. Photos from S3, S2, One S, Playbook all have the ability to take good pictures.

The camera on the G Nexus is nothing to complain about. The complainers should really go purchase a decent entry level DSLR if they want great pictures with more manual control.

I bought a T3 for a Digital Photography class. Whenever I want to take pictures I take my camera around no matter how much space it takes. The camera is for taking pictures of memories and interesting things that pop in my head randomly.

dlcramer

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't messed with the camera yet but is not why I bought mine so I doubt I will use the camera much. That being said, awesome pictures!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon