I sort of think Google Now sucks...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
On my Galaxy Nexus, it takes about 3 seconds to open Google Now. If I clicked click on a search result and then hits Back, I get taken back to the results but they have to reload.

I really like Google Now's predictive search, data aggregation, and reminder notifications. But for a simple web search I go directly to Chrome because it is faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
That's impossible. On several android phones, including my own and others it
Doesn't allow that. Once in a rare while the results are there like 1 in a 100 times but try to do any other step and results are gone.
Maybe your launcher/phone has different "back" capabilities. Also, I'm using the stock browser. Maybe that matters. :confused:

Then I thought I got siri for android but it is a slow, laggy, bloated, frustrating piece of clunky crap.
Simple searches take up to ten seconds to initiate.
I absolutely hate Google now. It should've been separate from a basic Google search bar like we had before.
No update or upgrade here.... Just a downgrade in experience.
Is Google trying to get us to go away... And if so why?
Definitely not intuitive and until it speaks all responses, even "here are your search results", Siri will always be better. I never had anything but Jellybean, but thought it was odd that I couldn't just type in the stupid box since it was on every screen. Why have a box that does nothing. Just have a 1x1 app that takes up less real estate and takes you to Google Now (or to Google on your browser if that is your preference.)

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In my experience Google's voice recognition is much better than Siri's. Siri has more personality but I find Google Now to be more practical.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what is going on. I swipe up to launch Google Now and is ready to go almost immediately... Search brings up results pretty quick and without having to scroll ... clicking launches chrome... Hitting back comes back to Google now right where I was.

And I have a bunch of cards... Couple of sports, weather, local events, traffic when applicable.

Though, in all fairness, Google now is a lot faster of my Stellar than it is on my Nexus 7. Not sure what that is about.

Sent from my SCH-I200

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
For me it is on quickly. But I turned it off because it was constantly using Maps and other things and was draining my battery a lot. It wasn't very useful to me since all it gave me was weather mostly.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't very useful to me since all it gave me was weather mostly.

I felt like that at first too, but it has gotten a lot better. I guess it's a combination of Now learning me and Google adding features.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From my experience I have 0 issues with Google Now on my S3. It takes 1-2 seconds to load and I can say "Google" and ask it to search. Also as for someone saying they can't type in the box is odd.. I can type or voice command it.

As for people commenting on Siri I guess my experience is different because Siri is very very slow from what I've experienced on friends iPhones. It pops up fast but once I ask the question it just spins and spins and spins.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
From my experience I have 0 issues with Google Now on my S3. It takes 1-2 seconds to load and I can say "Google" and ask it to search. Also as for someone saying they can't type in the box is odd.. I can type or voice command it.
I have a Galaxy Nexus which was immediately updated with Jellybean 4.1.1 out of the box. Now I'm on 4.2.1. If I touch the bar on the home screens to type, it just highlights "Google" and opens Google Now or I can touch the mic to do a voice search. That's it. 5 home screens of essentially 2 1x1 apps taking up 4 1x1 spots per page. Most annoying since I always just use the home button method to get to Google Now so this bar was a complete waste unless I wanted a voice search and wanted to skip the steps of going to Google Now and then saying "Google", but most of the time I still do it that way and forget the bar is there. When it's on all your screens and pretty much worthless, you start to just not notice it and treat it as a decoration.

As for people commenting on Siri I guess my experience is different because Siri is very very slow from what I've experienced on friends iPhones. It pops up fast but once I ask the question it just spins and spins and spins.
I admit I have personally never used Siri, just heard people using it at work or what not.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Also as for someone saying they can't type in the box is odd.. I can type or voice command it.

What gnr_2 was saying is that you can't type directly into the search bar on your home screen. As soon as you touch the bar you taken into the Google Now app (where you CAN type). So the search bar basically functions as a Google Now app shortcut. This matches my experience. And IF Google Now opens very slowly you end up having to wait for it to open before you can type your search.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
What gnr_2 was saying is that you can't type directly into the search bar on your home screen. As soon as you touch the bar you taken into the Google Now app (where you CAN type). So the search bar basically functions as a Google Now app shortcut. This matches my experience. And IF Google Now opens very slowly you end up having to wait for it to open before you can type your search.

Yes, it is basically just a shortcut now. Frankly, I do not see the point and would prefer to be able to use that screen space. I can just as easily swipe up to do a search.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is basically just a shortcut now. Frankly, I do not see the point and would prefer to be able to use that screen space. I can just as easily swipe up to do a search.
I finally got the space back when I switched to Nova Launcher, though now I am using Apex. But, Nova let me go back to the clear ICS version of the bar. It was worth switching launchers just for that. Then I discovered themes and icon packs. And, you don't have to be rooted! Just stay away from GO Launcher. Nothing but a resource hog.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I finally got the space back when I switched to Nova Launcher, though now I am using Apex. But, Nova let me go back to the clear ICS version of the bar. It was worth switching launchers just for that. Then I discovered themes and icon packs. And, you don't have to be rooted! Just stay away from GO Launcher. Nothing but a resource hog.

Apex Launcher has ICS search bar as well as jelly bean style.

I felt like that at first too, but it has gotten a lot better. I guess it's a combination of Now learning me and Google adding features.

Well it's been several months and every now and then I'd get more info other than weather. But mostly stuff that I don't find useful. Just 1 or 2 additional things.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Apex Launcher has ICS search bar as well as jelly bean style.
Hmm. Must have missed it.

Well it's been several months and every now and then I'd get more info other than weather. But mostly stuff that I don't find useful. Just 1 or 2 additional things.
My favorite thing is getting alerts saying when I should leave home for an appt but most times it has my mode of transportation wrong since I alternate between using public transport and driving. I wish it would be better integrated into Calendar so I can tell it if I want a Google Now reminder for an event, the type of Google Now alert it is, and what type of transportation I'll be using. Same for flights. I shouldn't have to search for my flight before it gives me info when I have the flight number in my hand and should just be able to have Google Now use it more efficiently. Those types of things. And I really wish it would voice announce when voice dialing instead of just showing the results on the screen that you then have to scroll through and select, all while driving through a school zone. :banghead:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

My favorite thing is getting alerts saying when I should leave home for an appt but most times it has my mode of transportation wrong since I alternate between using public transport and driving. I wish it would be better integrated into Calendar so I can tell it if I want a Google Now reminder for an event, the type of Google Now alert it is, and what type of transportation I'll be using. Same for flights. I shouldn't have to search for my flight before it gives me info when I have the flight number in my hand and should just be able to have Google Now use it more efficiently. Those types of things. And I really wish it would voice announce when voice dialing instead of just showing the results on the screen that you then have to scroll through and select, all while driving through a school zone. :banghead:

Yeah the "time to leave" notifications are nice. So are the shipping notifications when shopping online. Sport scores are good too. Weather is always good. And nearby event are sometimes interesting.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I guess for Google Now to work one needs to first have a life. :\

here's a screen of the ICS/JB search bar style.
In the Homescreen Settings.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1366437581339.jpg
    PicsArt_1366437581339.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 29

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The feature that I thought is the most slick is if you do a map search from a browser on a pc that is logged into the same Google account, it'll queue up directions for you automatically.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The feature that I thought is the most slick is if you do a map search from a browser on a pc that is logged into the same Google account, it'll queue up directions for you automatically.

Never did that for me. And the card for how many you walk doesn't show up even though I turned it on.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. That is cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781