Wifi without data plan?

houtek

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Verizon JetPack because I wanted secure wifi to check my bank and credit card info while traveling. Once I realized it was portable wifi ANYWHERE, I started thinking. Finally sold my Samsung Galaxy Note, canceled my AT&T data plan, bought a Razr v9x and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Lower cost, more flexibility. I can access my Gmail contacts from the Tab, but alas, not the phone. If I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on eBay, unlocked, GSM, I assume it would run fine, call-wise, on AT&T with my SIM Card. But can I access the internet via the wifi without a data plan? Or is there something in the phone that would block that? I have used wifi many times on prior phones, such as Skyrocket, but there was always a data plan in place also.
Thanks, h

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you would be able to use wifi. I use my deactivated Thunderbolt on wifi at home sometimes. You most likely won't be able to make calls though. I'm sure when you would go to activate a voice plan w/o data it wouldn't work since it is a smartphone( and they know its a smartphone, I haven't heard of anyone being able to fool them). Most if not all cell carriers require a data plan on them. A VoIP app would be the only way I can think of that would allow you to make phone calls on the phone. Otherwise, using apps, internet and everything else should work just fine.