Galaxy Nexus Build Quality/Durability/Performance

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not concern about if the GN withstand any type of impact I am just interested in wear and tear on GN with daily use.

How is GN when comes to scratches,chips and peeling from being unprotected by case?

How does the GN feel in hand is my secondary concern.

Does does the device feel in hand is it balanced and solid?

Is their flex or creeks you notice from GN?

How's the weight of the device in hand?

Please Post
How long have you had your GN device?

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Nexus Build Quality/Durability

Odd... I replied to this last night but it's not showing up.

I will wait to see if the forum updates restores what I posted

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Nexus Build Quality/Durability

Well, I don't think my post from last night will come back so here's a rough rehash or what I said.

First of all, most of the time my phone lives in its case (Otterbox Commuter) with a screen protector.

I have a few chips and dings from being clumsy the times its NOT in the case, but I haven't seen any other signs of wear from normal use.

I have an extended battery and door (2000mAh). I find this did wonders for how it feels in the hand. It gives it a bit more weight, plus makes it slightly "bottom heavy" in portrait so it sits down in your hand better. I found with the stock battery and door the whole device felt lighter and somewhat cheaper. The battery doesn't weigh enough that it feels off-balance when its in landscape, but I notice it more in portrait.

If you want to see pics of the dings, or stock battery vs extended battery, let me know. I'll snap some and post them back. Or if you have other questions, let me know.

I've had mine since Easter weekend, so roughly 6 months.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not concern about if the GN withstand any type of impact I am just interested in wear and tear on GN with daily use.

How is GN when comes to scratches,chips and peeling from being unprotected by case?

Please Post
Also I would like to know how the performance has held up over time. My thunderbolt after a year or so he performance drop down a level. I would have apps crashing more frequently and ui lag as well the screen freezes several times of day.

So how long have you had your GN and has the performance changed since you have had it?

Please answer OG post as well. L

Sent from my ADR6400L using
Android Central Forums

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
After a few months now of daily use I have no scratches, dings, nicks, dents, bangs, or anything on my GNexus. It feels good in the hand, doesn't flex, or creak. The way the back is curved makes it easy to grip and hold in one hand IMO.

That said, I am pretty easy on my phones to preserve resell value on ebay. I don't treat them like hockey pucks like some people seem to do. The last time I dropped a phone was my iPhone 3G many years ago. So if you are prone to accidents you may want a case.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've only had mine a little over 2 months but not a mark on it so far. I like the way it feels and think in general the build quality is solid. The one thing that concerns me for the future and that I think is rather flimsy is the back battery cover. I have to swap out batteries on a regular basis and every time I do, I am just waiting for that flimsy battery door to break. I am extremely careful with it but it still feels like it is about to break in half at any moment.

When it's on the phone, it's fine, so if you won't need to swap batteries, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are like me and do not have a means to charge your phone during the day and you need to actually use it and not just keep the screen off most of the time, then removing that flimsy battery door regularly is something to worry about in my opinion. I have the standard battery cover - don't know if the extended door is more solid or not. Either way, I would still buy the phone again.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at GN as my next smartphone but planning keep device longer than 2 years. So my next smartphone has to be able hold up longer than two years.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your posts. I am looking at GN as my next smartphone but planning keep device longer than 2 years. So my next smartphone has to be able hold up longer than two years.

That's going to severely narrow down your options, unfortunately.

cognac_sipper

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I would advise to get a screen protector right away as the screen scratches easily. Overall though the build quality is sold.
Performance is great and you get the latest updates quick. Easy to root and unlock bootlader and has a lot of roms you can try. Great phone.

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Phone holds up well but the screen scratches very easy. Heck I never put it in a pocket with anything and still have a bunch of lil scratches

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jtaclas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had mine for about 6 months now and have not used a case on it (except when taking it out on adventures--biking, beach, hiking, etc...) I do have a one of those wet application screen protectors (ghost armor), and I use a product called gelaskins for the back. So my phone is protected without all that bulk. As for wear and tear, just marks from the micro-usb cable and headphone jack. Overall it feels like a very solid phone and I do have every intention of keeping this a while.

randyw

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Gnex about a month and a half. Put a Screen Protector on it day 1. Just got the OEM Extended Battery 2 weeks ago. I use a Belt Clip holster but otherwise use it Naked (Except for Screen Protector). Not a scratch or nick anywhere.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Please Post

Also I would like to know how the performance has held up over time. My thunderbolt after a year or so he performance drop down a level. I would have apps crashing more frequently and ui lag as well the screen freezes several times of day.

So how long have you had your GN and has the performance changed since you have had it?

Please answer OG post as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using
Android Central Forums

Anybody had there GN longer than year can give me some input.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How long have people here had their GN for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

My bad...didn't pay attention that GN only came out last year. Following too closely on tech blogs and anticipating what's next just made GN seem old but not in a bad way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz