Time for a new phone...Nexus or S3?

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in need of an upgrade and the only Android T-Mobile phone I like is the GS3...but I just read about the shorty signals. Right now, my trusty MyTouch4G, though the battery is fried, gets me perfect reception everywhere. The only other option I see is the Galaxy Nexus. Is everyone happy with their phone and the $350 price tag? Anyone have experience with both of these phones?

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well if you get galaxy nexus and i assume you going to buy it from google that way you staying off contract but if you going to get s3 you probably gonna have to sign up for 2 year commitment.. Unless u dropping 600 plus bucks. Both good phones i actually played with s3 today pretty fast device. I also have been faced with the choice between s3 and gnex. After comparing em I went with gnex. I have put a list of pros and cons for each device and gnex won. And i didnt really want to spend 600 bucks on the phone or sign up for another 2 year contract.
Pros: S3 got faster processor, better screen, better camera, lte, micro sd.
Cons: touch wiz, locked to carrier, no jelly bean, bloatware.

Gnex
Pros: jelly bean, clean interface, unlocked.
Cons: no lte(personally dont care about it) 5mp camera (dont care but i wish metering option was available like on s3 or s2)
Slower processor but fast enough for me not a gamer or heavy multitasking user.
no micro sd card slot(dont care 16gb is plenty for me) and its safer.

Good luck.. You can also buy European s3 which is unlocked comes with the quad core but no lte.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for the unlocked GNex. Faster software updates (because you get them straight from Google instead of the carrier), no bloatware and much cheaper off-contract. I played with both Sprint's GS III and GNex variants last week and the difference isn't anything I'd call mind blowing, speed/responsiveness wise. And like skyrockett, I can care less about the better camera.

I'm switching to a GNex on T-Mo prepaid this week from an Epic 4G (original) on Sprint postpaid. More than anything, I didn't want to sign another 2-year contract with Sprint when the unlocked GNex is only $349. Also, I'm sick of being stuck on 3G data speeds in Phoenix when the three other major carriers already have either LTE or HSPA+.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the gnex, though I'm going to wait to hear some opinions in the sg3 forum. I do kind of wish it had a better camera, but if that's the only drawback I can deal.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the gnex, though I'm going to wait to hear some opinions in the sg3 forum. I do kind of wish it had a better camera, but if that's the only drawback I can deal.

Well, the GNex also lacks a microSD card slot, if that's important to you. You get 16GB of built-in storage, with about 13GB available to the user. Personally, it isn't a big deal to me because I really don't store music or videos on my phones.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. 16 is enough for me. I use my tablet to play games and spotify for music.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure about network but ive heard that gnex got some problems o. T-mobile network. I would suggest you to ask or do a little research. Ive got no problems on att network and hspa+ works good. I get roughly 5mbps down and 3mbps up.. Sure its not that fast as lte but lets be realistic who needs 30mbps? I find it useless unless you've got unlimited data plan i heard that lte module drains battery. Ive had 2 lte phones before gnex and i dont miss lte.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend to go for the SGS3. The galaxy nexus has issues with network signals when it was upgraded to android ics.

Ummm...the GNex shipped with ICS (first phone with ICS, actually) and recently got upgraded to Jelly Bean.

One of my friends has an unlocked GNex with T-Mobile service. No network connectivity issues with his. YMMV, depending on area, I guess.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I already have the GNex and just ordered another for the wife. We are both on T-Mobile with no contract and I wanted an unlocked and US warranted phone. Happy with mine so I think she will be too. PS: Two 2GB data plans and cheaper than a "family play" and do not require a contract. T-Mobile said I could not combine the lines and share the data without a contract. Checked AT&T and 2 individual phone plans are cheaper than a single shared plan as well. I just don't think these companies get it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12