In the process of switching to GSM Galaxy Nexus - Straight talk Speeds?

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So I am trying to switch to the GSM Galaxy Nexus. I got the phone and I am using Tmobiles prepaid $60 plan. While service is MUCH slower than Verizon LTE in NYC, it is more than adequate being that I am literally paying half the price for the service ($130 to $60). Just for the record in Queens I was getting 25+ down on Verizon and at the same location the best tmobile could manage was close to 6 down.

So before I buy a straight talk SIM, has anyone done a speed test of straight talk in NYC with the Galaxy Nexus. I am searching you tube and the few videos that are out are not from NYC area.

Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You've got to specify, Straight Talk AT&T or T-Mobile? ST offers service on both, you choose at the time of purchase which one you want. The ST T-Mobile speeds will be about the same as what you get on T-Mobile Monthly 4G. AT&T depends on the area, but I'm sure it's probably not great in NYC.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
ST AT&T is what I would look at. I just don't wanna spend the $50 if the service here is awful. Most people say its awful in NYC because of the iphone but one guy did say that since the iPhone does not (did not) have 4g the data for 4g would fly.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
t-mobile has kicked arse while I've been in Manhattan for the past several months, I'm still in disbelief every week!

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I gotta admit Tmobile has been perfect for me thus far. It not covered very well in parts of Nassau but that doesn't affect me.

dahncke#CB

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
On frequent trips to NYC, T-Mobile has better service -- with the single exception of JFK Airport. I found TMobile to have better speeds and better coverage in the city. However, ATT works fine (esp at JFK). It isn't like there is a problem, it just isn't as good.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What speeds were you getting?

On frequent trips to NYC, T-Mobile has better service -- with the single exception of JFK Airport. I found TMobile to have better speeds and better coverage in the city. However, ATT works fine (esp at JFK). It isn't like there is a problem, it just isn't as good.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I gotta admit Tmobile has been perfect for me thus far. It not covered very well in parts of Nassau but that doesn't affect me.

That is exactly my experience with T-Mobile. There are a few dead spots during my train commute and it drives me nuts when I am in one of them and Pandora is trying to load a new track. But, I am learning to adjust to that.