Downsides to google voice?

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So Im thinking about porting my number to google voice instead on to tmobile prepaid.

What are the downsides to this.

Does MMS work? Texting showing different number? Basically any problems anyone has had.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You don't get MMS. That's the downside.

You also "need" to use the Google Voice app for texting. That's the easiest way to use it without confusion. If you want to use the stock Messaging app, you need to input a new forwarding number for each one of your contacts in order to route properly from your GV #. Basically, I'd never recommend you do that. The GV app isn't great, but its very usable.

Calls work just fine. Incoming calls can be forwarded to any number, and just ring your device. Its seamless. Outgoing calls are seamless also, as the GV app just forwards any call from the stock dialer via your GV #. No extra work for you there.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I use it now but only for voicemail and it works fine. I dont get allot of mms so I guess that's not a deal breaker. What happens if someone sends you an mms? I do find the the idea is using the texting app annoying.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I use it now but only for voicemail and it works fine. I dont get allot of mms so I guess that's not a deal breaker. What happens if someone sends you an mms? I do find the the idea is using the texting app annoying.

If someone sends a GV # an MMS, you don't know. You don't get any notification that they attempted to send it.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If someone sends a GV # an MMS, you don't know. You don't get any notification that they attempted to send it.

I'm not sure if that's totally true, because when my brother and girlfriend send MMS's to my GV # from their iPhones on Sprint, they show up in my email. Just not within the actual GV app. But when others send me MMS's, I never get them, email or otherwise. I'm not quite sure what that's all about, but I just learned to accept that GV doesn't support MMS and I just tell people to email me pictures instead.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if that's totally true, because when my brother and girlfriend send MMS's to my GV # from their iPhones on Sprint, they show up in my email. Just not within the actual GV app. But when others send me MMS's, I never get them, email or otherwise. I'm not quite sure what that's all about, but I just learned to accept that GV doesn't support MMS and I just tell people to email me pictures instead.

Sprint is a special case, because they have GV integration with their Sprint lines.

Regular GV (not Sprint) does not send or receive MMS under any circumstance.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
When Google voice updates they should have a way to integrate the text direct to phone and mms should at minimum goto your email. Then I would port my number to Google and just call it a day.

Its a much better concept to have your number with some type of Google Voice service than having to port it around in my opinion.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
When Google voice updates they should have a way to integrate the text direct to phone and mms should at minimum goto your email. Then I would port my number to Google and just call it a day.

Its a much better concept to have your number with some type of Google Voice service than having to port it around in my opinion.

We've been saying that since 2010. Google doesn't seem to care much about Google Voice though. Maybe one day...

aelg305

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, long time Google Voice (GV) + iPhone user here...tired of the apple crap.... but very happy with Google Voice + JailBreak + GV integration...

In a nut shell... I relied 101% on GV... i receive/make all calls within the native iPhone native app (..i Know..i Know!!) and send/receive txt through the native app as well with help of a jailbreak + apps from the cydia store...

Question is:
I'm planning on moving to the Galaxy S3 BUT, I don't want to use Google app.... which is awful.
I rather use the native app with some sort of rooted app combination like in the iPhone, any advise? Anybody already doing this without problems?

Thanks in advance,
No-an-iPhone-lover-anymore!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, long time Google Voice (GV) + iPhone user here...tired of the apple crap.... but very happy with Google Voice + JailBreak + GV integration...

In a nut shell... I relied 101% on GV... i receive/make all calls within the native iPhone native app (..i Know..i Know!!) and send/receive txt through the native app as well with help of a jailbreak + apps from the cydia store...

Question is:
I'm planning on moving to the Galaxy S3 BUT, I don't want to use Google app.... which is awful.
I rather use the native app with some sort of rooted app combination like in the iPhone, any advise? Anybody already doing this without problems?

Thanks in advance,
No-an-iPhone-lover-anymore!

There are a couple apps on the Play Store, root required, that route your Google Voice messages into the default messaging client.

As far as calls go, there's no trickery required. You have the Google Voice app installed, and in the settings you can select "use Google Voice to make all calls", then just use the stock dialer and you'll make calls using your GV # every time. You'll receive calls normally by setting up the # as a forwarding #.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Although you can't get MMS via GV directly, there is a work around that Google introduced a while back. You can set it up so that the pictures attached to MMS messages sent to your GV number are sent to your GMail. GV notifies you that you received a MMS when it happens. You can't send MMS messages, but at least you get ones sent to you.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually just checked mms. I sent myself a pic (not video) and i received it just fine. I had it set to use the messaging app on the phone though.

wilara23

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is a special case, because they have GV integration with their Sprint lines.

Regular GV (not Sprint) does not send or receive MMS under any circumstance.

I'm on Tmobile prepaid using my GVoice number and I get all MMS sent to my email. From all devices and carriers not just Sprint or iPhones.

cavemandaveman

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am confused...if I have GV set up on my phone and want to send a pic to someone from my GV number, will it work? What exactly happens in this case?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ssummer

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
One downside to GV's lack (or at the most sketchy support) of MMS is that iPhones (except probably Sprint phones that have GV integrated) and some Android phones send "group" texts (SMS) as an MMS. Lots of complaints on the Google support forums from people (and me) who missed important text (SMS) messages because the sender sent it as a group text.

GV sucks if you need reliable SMS (i.e. your job uses it a lot).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci