Thinking of Switching. Need advice

ggrove91

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, I have a One X right now. I love it. Amazing screen, photos and overall great. My big concern is HTC. They make these amazing phones but I don't know when the hell I will see Jelly Bean come on this and any kind of future updates. I have a friend that has the Nexus and I really enjoy it. Gonna take a while to get use to on screen home button and such but It is a great phone. Now my overall question is, is there suppose to be a new nexus soon or should I just get this(350 is a steal) and be satisfied with the updates to come.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Now my overall question is, is there suppose to be a new nexus soon or should I just get this(350 is a steal) and be satisfied with the updates to come.

Well we don't really know anything yet. There aren't even any decent rumors out for people to speculate on. Google has traditionally launched a new device with the latest platform release of Android, about once a year. The issue this year is Google went out of cycle and announced 4.1 Jelly Bean "early" with the Nexus 7, so we're not really sure what the deal is as far as the phone situation goes.

That being said, the Galaxy Nexus is still a great phone, and at $350 brand new and unlocked, it's kinda hard to recommend against it.

Get it now. Even if a new Nexus comes out there is no guarantee Google will offer it.

Given Google's dedication to selling the Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store for the last several months (all while dealing with lots of crap trying to sell it via carriers), and launching both the Nexus 7 and Nexus Q on the Play Store, I find it extremely hard to believe that the next Nexus device wouldn't be offered on the Play Store at launch.

ggrove91

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I probably will get it over the next few months and keep my One X also. It'd be nice to have stock everything.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Given Google's dedication to selling the Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store for the last several months (all while dealing with lots of crap trying to sell it via carriers), and launching both the Nexus 7 and Nexus Q on the Play Store, I find it extremely hard to believe that the next Nexus device wouldn't be offered on the Play Store at launch.

I believe Google offered a phone directly a couple of years ago and then not again until the Nexus, hence my hesitation.... :)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I see absolutely no reason why Google would sell the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 in the Play Store for months, then not launch the next iteration of the Nexus without Play Store availability. I don't see how that ever happens.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just saying they do not have a a reputation in the past for selling hardware and it is probably up to the manufacturer whether it will be sold through the Play Store or not. Hopefully, this marks a new beginning. In any event, I would not hold off buying a nexus now in the hopes that Google will soon sell a better model.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The stock experience is refreshing and one that I highly recommend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Just saying they do not have a a reputation in the past for selling hardware and it is probably up to the manufacturer whether it will be sold through the Play Store or not. Hopefully, this marks a new beginning. In any event, I would not hold off buying a nexus now in the hopes that Google will soon sell a better model.
If its a Google branded phone in other words a "Nexus". Google would be the one to decide where it will be sold, Its as if they were a Carrier and ordered a particular version of an S3. If it is Google branded I would guarantee no carrier would want it. They have to sell it on there own.

The OEM's have been trampling all over Android as of late, superseding there own Eco systems for Googles...Its not right or wrong since its about choice. Google wants to make sure they still have their own eco system thriving. Hence my plee to Google.....Pleaseee make a great piece of Hardware with pure Android and we will flock to it!!.;)

To the OP don't buy now, wait till the new Nexus comes out, the GN's hardware wasn't cutting edge even when it first came out.

Bren S.

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I probably will get it over the next few months and keep my One X also. It'd be nice to have stock everything.

If you are going to wait a few months then I'm sure you'll have your answer regarding whether or not there will be a new Nexus.(as often but NOT always a Nov Dec announcement may happen, as to whether there is even to be a new Nexus, and if Google will be selling it themselves)

I personally wouldn't wait,but I 'm more than a bit biased. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21