Considering Galaxy Nexus: Should I Wait?

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
None of us know when the next Nexus will be out. Previous two versions were released with introduction of new versions of the OS. Jelly Bean came out and Google released no phone. or info on new Nexus phone, instead choosing to release the Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean. This means that they (possibly) have changed the way they release the phones so we have no clue as to what will be done this year, hence no real leaks regarding a new Nexus phone (other than sheer speculation or rumor). I personally would wait if possible, but that's just my opinion. If you decide to pull the trigger now then you can always sell the Galaxy Nexus on eBay or Craigslist when the new one comes out. In the meantime, you would be able to enjoy that Jelly Bean goodness on it until we hear something official from Google.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Check on Craigslist for a used one. I have seen plenty of Nexus, both GSM & LTE, listed in the 200-300 range. Keeps you from being locked into any new contracts.

smthomas66

May 12, 2011
Visit site
You will likely have a great experience with the GNex because it's a little older and has all the bugs worked out by now. The specs are more than capable of taking you a couple years without feeling regret. As someone that bought a Thunderbolt shortly after they came out and a Nexus 7 recently I can state firmly that the TBolt was terrible at first but eventually came around to be a decent device for what it was advertised and the Nexus 7 although a great device actually took about a month for all my apps to become Jelly Bean compliant. So in a sense it pays to not be the first one to own a device to avoid some of the manufacturing and buggy app issues. Oh, I also went through two Nexus 7 returns because of faulty manufacturing. I loved it from the start and the return system was great but the issues with a dead pixel line and rebooting couldn't be tolerated. Love Android though. The hardware and operating system keep getting better and better with amazing speed.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Get a GNEX on eBay or Craigslist for now (if you have the $$ and can't wait), and wait to see what is announced concerning a new Nexus phone in the next couple months. There are lots of rumors swirling about that a Nexus may be forthcoming from a variety of mfgs, so there's a chance you could have LOTS of choices by November/December. If nothing new is released (which I doubt), you could already have a Nexus phone running JB from eBay/Craigslist.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you wait, you'll always be waiting. There's always something "better" around the corner.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You are right, I am speculating but it is the cycle right now. There will be one before the end of november

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

kfilipov13

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Gnex doesn't have an outdated hardware... dual core smartphones are more than capable of doing anything... You need a quad core only if you are going to run some bad and very heavy UI above it... I've had the gnex before the jellybean release and I've never had a problem... and since jb it is exceptionally fast... insanely fast if I may say, have no one idea how it works on the nexus 7, waiting to go to France next month to buy it... but if you ask me go for it.
I believe the new nexus phone will be released in 2013 as well as the new update to Android.
It's good to see more people interested in the Nexus brand, hopefully someday HTC, Samsung and other hardware companies will stop ruining amazing hardware with their awful version of an amazing software

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a dozen more before I finished reading your post.

Ok, so maybe not. But, don't hesitate. Coming from Treo 300, Treo 600, Palm Pre, Evo4g, Evo3d.....GNex BLOWS THEM ALL AWAY.

Now, pics are not the best from a phone. Also, the ringer/speaker is too quiet.

No Contract + Jelly Bean more than makes up for those shortcomings.

Do it.

Knocks

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
At this point you should wait, as it's almost the end of September, and something will be coming very shortly. I don't like the darkish hues of the Galaxy Nexus screen.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe now with the announcement of the lg nexus phone you should wait. I myself have till the end of december to make up my mind and I'm fighting between the gs3 and note 2. I'm like you and really don't like the samsung ui but the gs3 is just a great phone and htc hasnt had a good phone since the original evo, at least on sprint they haven't. I love htc sense but the evo lte did not cut it for me.

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are really desperate for a Nexus today, go to Swappa (Android) Buy and sell gently used Android devices and get a used GSM or Verizon version. The Verizon version is actually cheaper than the GSM one. Sign up for Verizon without a contract and then wait for the Nexus phone release that will probably happen before the end of the year, then sell your current Nexus and put those proceeds towards a new Nexus if you like the new Nexus (Nexi? Nexuses?) better. You'll lose a bit of money in all that buying and selling, but you'll have the Nexus you want.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm so confused. Some say wait, some say buy... hmm... I'm going to look on Craigslist like some have mentioned for a GSM Gnex... Might buy depending on how cheap I can get it.

I really wish Goole would announce something. I'm desperate to get ride of this damn iPhone. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I love my galaxy nexus but I'd say wait. Getting a phone that are almost an year old is crazy to me. Unless you get a used one for around 250, I'd say with. However, if you end up getting one, you will not regret it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am going to wait until end year because by then Google should have unveiled a new Nexus. If Google does not then hopefully we have more concrete leaks or even better Google will make a statement on the next Nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking around and only seeing the used GSM Gnex going for $330 minimum which is only $19 less than a brand new one directly from Google with a full warranty, return/exchange option, so GTFO!! I'm not buying a used one for that price! People are greedy and apparently crazy. :what:

I'll either buy it new directly from Google or wait it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173