how to use google maps

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I heard that on google maps you can see your searched addresses from your computer to phone. But when I type a directions from point a to point b, then go outside and go on my phone, I don't know how to have it on the phone too. Can anyone help me?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Make sure on your computer browser that you are signed in to the same google account you are using on your phone. Then on your computer, use google maps to find your directions. Scroll down on that page below the directions and click Save to My Maps. After it is saved, you can open google maps on your phone. At the top left of the screen click Maps to open the drop down menu. Click My Places and go to Recent or to My Maps and you will be able to choose the location you searched on your computer.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Make sure on your computer browser that you are signed in to the same google account you are using on your phone. Then on your computer, use google maps to find your directions. Scroll down on that page below the directions and click Save to My Maps. After it is saved, you can open google maps on your phone. At the top left of the screen click Maps to open the drop down menu. Click My Places and go to Recent or to My Maps and you will be able to choose the location you searched on your computer.

I don't see a "Save to My Maps" option anywhere on the screen, on the computer.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Which browser are you using. I'm not sure if makes a difference. But I've tried Firefox and Chrome and it is right above the part that says "These directions are for planning purposes only"

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Which browser are you using. I'm not sure if makes a difference. But I've tried Firefox and Chrome and it is right above the part that says "These directions are for planning purposes only"

I'm using chrome, and indeed it does not make a difference. Apparently Saving My Maps is not supported for everything except the car routes. So I guess that's the reason why I can't see it... bummer. I really needed the public transport support rather than car.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Try this. It is several more steps unfortunately, but it works. Save the driving directions to My Maps. Then go to it on your phone and click on it under My Maps. When it comes up on the map, click on the white label that has the ">" at the end. Then click Directions. Then click the bus and get your transit routes.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Try this. It is several more steps unfortunately, but it works. Save the driving directions to My Maps. Then go to it on your phone and click on it under My Maps. When it comes up on the map, click on the white label that has the ">" at the end. Then click Directions. Then click the bus and get your transit routes.

Could you please do a step by step instructions please? I'm new with my maps/places and saving etc. If you can..

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've got to go but here is another way that has fewer steps than the above, even though it may seem like more since I'm listing everything. Hopefully, this is easier to follow since I may not see your response tonight and don't have time right now to take screenshots.

1. On computer, find your directions, using your public transit options as you wanted to do in the first place.
2. Click the link icon, which is in the top row of the left hand pane to the right of the printer icon.
3. In the pop up window, click Send.
4. Send it to your gmail address.
5. On your phone. open the email message in your gmail app.
6. At the bottom of the message, click Show on Google Maps
7. On my phone (hope this is the same on yours) it then gives you the options you can open it with. If you choose Maps, the transit directions open up for you in Maps. Alternatively, you could choose Chrome to open it with and see the same thing in your phone's Chrome browser, if you have Chrome installed.

Added benefit to this way is that you have the printed directions in your gmail too.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
wow this thread is going on a different direction. "Save to Map" is not the same as your search results in PC showing in Mobile maps.
Its just syncing your data just like syncing a starred location.

To see searched maps on Mobile first you should have enabled "Web History" https://history.google.com/history/

There is two way you can see the maps.

1. do a location search on desktop. then open maps in mobile, click search and start typing. you would see your search done on desktop there

2. Once you do a search on maps and click find directions. Clicking find directions is importatnt.
you will see the maps details in "Google Now" sometimes you might have to refresh google now.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Find the destination on the map on your computer. (Make sure you are signed in to Google when you are on Google maps). Click get directions and input the current address. After the directions are displayed scroll the the bottom of them and click on the save to my maps button. Choose "create ne map and click on save. Now, open maps on your phone. Click on the maps button in the upper left, then my places, then recent and choose the directions that show both addresses. When the map opens, if you want to navigate choose the upside down arrow in the lower right. jpr had most of that in the 2nd post.

Edit: Oh yes, don't forget still's instruction: "To see searched maps on Mobile first you should have enabled "Web History" https://history.google.com/history/" I am not sure if that is important or not since you are already saving the route, but since I already had it enabled when I tested it you might as well also.

Last edited:

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this thread, i'm glad I read it. Getting ready to head out on a road trip and this worked perfect. Found the map in google maps (Chrome) and saved it. Now it's on my S3. Worked seamlessly and quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana