Andriod 4.2 Update Hosed Bluetooth Dialing

mattg68

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How ecstatic I was to finally come across a phone that would voice dial via bluetooth correctly. Finally, someone understood what "hands-free dialing" actually means! To be clear, I mean that with my phone locked (pattern, swipe, whatever) and out of reach, I could push the button on my headset and the voice prompt would ask me who to call. It actually worked!

Then last week I was given the OTA update to 4.2 and now it no longer works. Uhg. Back to the stone ages.

I'm guessing it has to do with this new crappy lockscreen that came with 4.2. When it's on, my headset only beeps at me and no voice prompt asking me who to call. When I turn off the lock (\Security) it seems to connect and work fine.

Since I can only call from an already paired bluetooth device, there is no reason whatsoever to not allow bluetooth dialing from the lockscreen. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anyone have any ideas? How to tell Google they screwed up?! How to get it fixed?

For the record I'm using the GSM Galaxy Nexus with a Bose Bluetooth headset. I've cleared it and paired it several times since the 4.2 update.

Please help.

Thanks!
Matt

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
What version did you update from? I don't think Bluetooth voice dialing has worked at all since around 4.0.1. The button launches the voice dialer but the google voice dialer won't recognize any names correctly.

With 4.2 you can install 3rd party voice dialers that work and work with the call button. I would recommend cyberon voice commander.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What version did you update from? I don't think Bluetooth voice dialing has worked at all since around 4.0.1. The button launches the voice dialer but the google voice dialer won't recognize any names correctly.

With 4.2 you can install 3rd party voice dialers that work and work with the call button. I would recommend cyberon voice commander.

It WILL recognize names, as long as the contacts are in your Google/Gmail account (not an Exchange account).

mattg68

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I updated from 4.1. It worked fine in both 4.0 and 4.1 but no longer. Definitely something to do with the new lock screen. If I turn off the lock screen it works just fine. It was always able to recognize by voice the names in my contacts before the update.
Would the third party apps work while the phone is in lock screen mode?
Thanks for the suggestions...

ncguy

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Would the third party apps work while the phone is in lock screen mode?
Thanks for the suggestions...

Yes, at least cyberon does. And it isn't dependent on a connection. I believe it uses the names in your phones resident contacts so it doesn't matter what email you use.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had a similar problem since the update: when the Gnex connects to my car via Bluetooth, it will not load the address book, except for one single contact. Resetting the connection, un-pairing/re-pairing the phone and car, and verifying no contacts stored to the SIM card, has not fixed the problem. Since the update, it has magically resolved itself a few times, but then fails to load less than 5 minutes later.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had a similar problem since the update: when the Gnex connects to my car via Bluetooth, it will not load the address book, except for one single contact. Resetting the connection, un-pairing/re-pairing the phone and car, and verifying no contacts stored to the SIM card, has not fixed the problem. Since the update, it has magically resolved itself a few times, but then fails to load less than 5 minutes later.

Today I tried this 5 times in a row and it worked always OK with 4.2.0 with my VW bluetooth.

I once had a similar problem with my Palm Pre or Treo and Audi bluetooth: I had to make one contact (any contact) a favorite and then ALL contacts were being transferred. Maybe this helps in your case, too.