help me turn off 4.2 volume wake

Jezz_X

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Since I upgraded to 4.2 on my nexus (stock but rooted) I have noticed something quite annoying that while playing music if you adjust the volume the screen wakes. I know lots of people call this a feature but for me its mega annoying because I like to just adjust the volume in my pocket without actually pulling the phone out (or some times pushing the buttons through my actual pants). The problem is now if I try to do it I end up bringing up the emergency dialer all the time because my leg contacts the screen :\ (I have a lock pattern)

I have looked through settings but can't seem to find any settings options to change this as it only happens while music is playing (in any app not just Google Play music) so anyone got any ideas if its even possible ?

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a pattern lock; I just tried to do this and adjusting the volume, with headphones in, with the screen off didn't wake the phone. I have noticed I can adjust volume without unlocking the phone though but it's inconsistent and it doesn't wake the phone, it only happens if the phone is already awake.

Jezz_X

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
hrmm that's weird happens for me 100% of the time no matter what using stock kernel radio and rom all it is is rooted

BTW I should also mention that I did a complete wipe of my phone before installing the rom so its not left overs

Jezz_X

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I was using the stock player but it turns out that it was a fault of an app I was using called AudioManager Pro I also had an issue that when the widget refreshed it used to turn on the screen so I put 2 and 2 together and uninstalled the app and now its just fine the screen does not wake on volume

Thanks for the help anyway

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine's the exact same issue and is not resolved. It's on Google Play Music. Raising or lowering the volume while Play Music is playing a track with the screen off now turns the screen on... Very irritating. :-(

Someone please let me know if you know of a fix.

Edit: no headphones, just when plugged into the AUX port, or when playing through speakerphone, again no headphones.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Benjamin bro

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't like how the screen turns on when I change the volume for music in my pocket, so here's a workaround "ganja_guru" found:

- Use Root explorer (or similar) and browse to /system/usr/keylayout/
- Mount system as R/W
- Long press ffa-keypad.kl and open with text editor. (i didnt had that file, i just opened any file that looked curious, like
qwery.kl, pm8058-keypad.kl)
- Remove the words "WAKE_DROPPED" next to key (it said "Wake" on my files)

115 VOLUME_UP
114 VOLUME_DOWN

Only remove the "WAKE_DROPPED" ("wake" on mine) words and save the file. Restart your phone and wake on volume button press should be disabled.
thx go ganja and me for posting here :cool:

Keywords:
volume key keys locker lock unlock disable

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12