GNex 4.2.1 OTA Rolling out!

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, got it this afternoon. Closing apps has become much snappier, scrolling seems more smooth, and my Bluetooth stayed solid on the way home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got it too! So far lock screen widgets seem much smoother and there isn't that lag when going to the camera from the lock screen. Swiping up from the home button for Google now also seems to pull the keyboard up quicker. Can't wait to see what else they've improved.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Received it a couple days ago and it is a nice little update. Now if they can just tweak the speaker volume on the next update such as the creater of speaker boost and volume+, we will be all set.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got 4.2 a little while back and I've already gotten 4.2.1 (which hit early this afternoon while I was in class). Ah, the benefits of a Nexus device!

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Got mine by force closing the Google services framework, clearing data, and checking for the update. It took 6 times but it worked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Got mine last night......I have noticed that all my recent updates have hit after 8pm NY time.....I'm in the Bronx

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. I notice that if I swipe donw on the clock widget on the lock screen now I see the times in the additional cities that I added. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to function, but it is an improvement. Analog setting still does not work.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
4.2, still waiting for the 4.2.1. Pondering just flashing it myself.... other then the "December" bug fix, have you guys noticed anything else?

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
4.2, still waiting for the 4.2.1. Pondering just flashing it myself.... other then the "December" bug fix, have you guys noticed anything else?
Here is what I noticed.
-The Bluetooth seems to be better. After 4.2, my phone was getting disconnected from the Bluetooth Handsfree system quiet frequently. This seems to be fixed. I also listened to Youtube for a while with a BT headset, it was working for me.
-Seems like more widgets that can be added from the lock screen. I have NFC app and it appears in the list of widgets. (Not sure if this was there already). So maybe in future more apps will register/use this feature.
-When I loose the mobile network, it seems to get back to the network better than before. There were times I had to do the 'Airplane' mode On and Off to force it.

Issues:
-If I cycle the brightness in the Power Control widget, when i comes back to the custom setting, it seems to reset the screen brightness setting that I previously did. This was there in 4.2, its kind of irritating.
-The quick setting doesn't display my picture even though I have it in my contacts. When I click on it it brings the contact "Me" up with my pic. Signing into G+ also didn't help, I keep google+ disabled.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
-The quick setting doesn't display my picture even though I have it in my contacts. When I click on it it brings the contact "Me" up with my pic. Signing into G+ also didn't help, I keep google+ disabled.

Thanks! As a rule, I don't use BT but it's good to know. The network drop-out/refresh issue sounds good too. I had HORRIBLE problems dropping out, esp on WiFi.

As for the profile picture showing up in the quick settings, I think that only shows up when you're signed into GooglePlus. I have my contact card filled out complete with picture, but my G+ pic only shows up when I sign into it. (That's ok though, I do use G+ occasionally)

EDIT: Shortly after I posted in this thread I got the 4.2.1 update :)

Sizzle81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Had 4.2.1 for about 5 hours now. And just rebooted itself in my pocket. My Gnex never did that before. 4.2 brought on launcher crashes and resets and was made it lag more often. And the 1-2 second delay when pressing the screen-off button is still there and still annoys the hell outta me. Makes me wanna get 4.1 back on here. the version that was just fine the way it was.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
If you wouldn't mind, what are the steps to force it? I can't remember.

Go to settings/apps/all and scroll down until you see Google Services framework click on it force stop and clear data.

Once that is done check for the update again. If it's not there repeat the steps.... It took me 6 tries before it showed up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Had 4.2.1 for about 5 hours now. And just rebooted itself in my pocket. My Gnex never did that before. 4.2 brought on launcher crashes and resets and was made it lag more often. And the 1-2 second delay when pressing the screen-off button is still there and still annoys the hell outta me. Makes me wanna get 4.1 back on here. the version that was just fine the way it was.

I do not have these problems. Some people have reported better experience with 4.2 by:
- disable Google Currents background sync
- reboot into recovery and wipe cache (NOT data)

I have done both and I am OK with the performance (maybe slightly worse than 4.1 in some places) and no crash/reboot so far. Maybe it's some app that you are using that is not compatible with 4.2.

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just popped up on my phone. But it said 4.2, not 4.2.1 so I was confused. Especially when the download (which happened off Wi-Fi) was less than a MB.

Phone is just completing the upgrade now...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just popped up on my phone. But it said 4.2, not 4.2.1 so I was confused. Especially when the download (which happened off Wi-Fi) was less than a MB.

Phone is just completing the upgrade now...

That is because it is just a bug fix so the whole os does not need to download.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173