Phone restarts itself

bugsybuster

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The past couple days i have noticed my phone restarts by itself and usually I'm in the middle of doing something (texting, watching videos, etc).

I have also noticed that sometimes i get disconnected from the mobile network. The signal bars turn gray instead of the usual blue and upon checking on the phone status, it is indeed disconnected from the network.

Anybody experiencing these too? Anybody who can shed some light? I'm running 4.2.1 completely stock on T-Mobile. I don't remember having these issues before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced the VERY same issues , not sure though if it started since I updated to JB 4.2......I want to say no, but certainly it has occurred since before update to 4.2.1....

I have had the phone since early summer and this issue has only occurred in the past month or so.....play store phone on AT&T....stock.

actually, i am mistaken , 4.1 was JB?, then we had the update to 4.2?

that's when I stared with the problems.

bugsybuster

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I get prompts saying fused location has stopped too. Wonder what's this all about.

andyahs

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Had the restart issue shortly after upgrading to 4.2 with random reboots and found out it was caused by HD Widgets lockscreen. Removed HD Widgets until it is updated (they are aware) and no more issues.

Sizzle81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Mine restarted in my pocket 5 hours after I upgraded to 4.2.1 never did that before on this phone ever. I wanna put 4.1 back on here. 4.1 worked like a dream now I feel like I actually downgraded when I upgraded.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My Gnex doesn't have HD widgets and it also has had spontaneous reboots/shutdowns, along with my N7. Saw this on the N7 thread:

Android 4.2 random reboots: What's going on? | Computerworld Blogs

I read the article and I'm sure that it is something in Google's code that is the culprit for folks experiencing this.

I was having the problem while on 4.2, but it went away as soon as I uninstalled HD Widgets. For those that don't have HD Widgets, it's probably another app accessing the same faulty API that HD Widgets was accessing.

My location services are all turned on, so I'm not convinced that this alone is at fault. I have noted that prior to 4.2.1 my location services were cutting off on their own. That behavior hasn't returned since moving to 4.2.1. Right now I have no issues.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could always flash your device back to 4.1 but it will require unlocking your boot loader which does wipe the device.

VK7HSE

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The current hotfix (of sorts) is to disable google location services. I've been running for 3 days without the annoying reboot. This was mentioned on the Android Central blog a few days ago :screwy:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LassieGal

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am glad to find this thread. My husband and I upgraded our Droid 1s for Galaxy Nexus units at Verizon a few weeks ago and are baffled by these phones. Husband has had reboots in the middle of phone calls. I have had one reboot in the middle of a phone call (luckily it was to him). I use mine for more things than he does and am having all sorts of trouble, including the rebooting. The phone seems to hate being on a charger (these are not third-party chargers, but came directly from Verizon). Friday I was driving home with it plugged into the car charger; wasn't using it--it was just plugged in. As I drove the phone rebooted about four times. Saturday night it rebooted on the Samsung charger. Once husband called me and the phone rang, but the screen was black when I tried to pick up the call. Another time I called him, but he did not get a ring or a vibrate. It also does other weird things. The standard alarm clock, for instance, will ring, but I don't get the pop-up that gives you the choice of snoozing or dismissing. I either have to go and turn the alarm sound down or reboot the phone. My Touch Timer app, which worked flawlessly on my Droid 1, worked for one week on the Nexus and now it doesn't ring; I just get the pop up that says "your timer is finished." I was using it for navigation in the car and the buttons in maps suddenly greyed out and quit responding. I had to reboot.

I don't have 4.2 nor do I use HD Widgets. Is this normal for the Nexus? I don't mind the other things so much, but rebooting in the middle of phone calls is inexcusable. I have to use my phone for work and I don't want to get rebooted in the middle of a conference call, especially one from my supervisor!

My version is 4.1.1 and the build number is JR0030, if that helps.

Lisa Ragoonanan

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My phone started re-booting itself this morning and progressively got worse.

I read many forums. I removed the apps that said updating, turned off my wifi and data, cleared the cache but nothing helped.

and I realized that last night my Candy Crush app kept freezing on me ...

So.... I removed Candy Crush and the cycle stopped.....

My phone would take 5 mins to shut down, 5mins to restart and then I'd have about another 5 to delete things.
As soon as i uninstalled Candy Crush restarted my phone it started to work faster. My texts when through and it has been running properly for the last hour without any further issues....

I hope this help you.... Candy Crush may be your restarting issue.... DANG! I was on level 295!!!!

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Same happens on my Samsung Galaxy Core GT-I8262 running 4.1.2 albeit rarely. I think it has something to do with limited RAM (I have just 1GB) being exhausted on heavy ops and the phone hanging or not knowing what to do next. I'm not sure; just a blind hunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12