Extended Battery Question

hockeyftw

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys. This is my first post on these forums. I'm about to buy my first Android smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus. I've read multiple threads about its bad battery life so I'll buy an extended battery. Has anyone used this one? It's seems to be a no-name brand but I've read good reviews on it. And also, will this battery work with the charger that comes with the phone? Thanks.

New Extended Battery with Cover for SamSung Google Galaxy Nexus i9250 3800mAh | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

And also, what are ROMs. Are they like jailbreaks? I've read sometimes that they will extend your battery life.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. This is my first post on these forums. I'm about to buy my first Android smartphone, the Galaxy Nexus. I've read multiple threads about its bad battery life so I'll buy an extended battery. Has anyone used this one? It's seems to be a no-name brand but I've read good reviews on it. And also, will this battery work with the charger that comes with the phone? Thanks.

New Extended Battery with Cover for SamSung Google Galaxy Nexus i9250 3800mAh | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

And also, what are ROMs. Are they like jailbreaks? I've read sometimes that they will extend your battery life.

Be very cautious about buying batteries, if it's an unknown brand or something there's a good chance the battery will explode/catch fire at some point, and you do NOT want that to happen. I believe the charger will work for it.

here's a battery 2000mah: Genuine Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus GT i9250 2000mAh Extended Battery Case Cover | eBay

And also for the ROM Q's: So, what is a custom ROM? - Android Authority

Jailbreaking your ios devices is basically ROOTING an android device. ROMS and Rooting are not the same thing.

hockeyftw

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Be very cautious about buying batteries, if it's an unknown brand or something there's a good chance the battery will explode/catch fire at some point, and you do NOT want that to happen. I believe the charger will work for it.

here's a battery 2000mah: Genuine Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus GT i9250 2000mAh Extended Battery Case Cover | eBay

And also for the ROM Q's: So, what is a custom ROM? - Android Authority

Jailbreaking your ios devices is basically ROOTING an android device. ROMS and Rooting are not the same thing.
Thank you for your response. The battery which you showed me is 2000mAh. The battery I have linked in my first post is 3800mAh. How would the two compare?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your response. The battery which you showed me is 2000mAh. The battery I have linked in my first post is 3800mAh. How would the two compare?

the one I showed, although 2000mAh has NFC (near field communication) built in and is an authentic extended battery by Samsung. It also has a lot less of a chance of exploding like the one you showed. And you need to ask yourself if you REALLY need a 3800mAh battery. I have the 1750mAh and I'm perfectly contempt with it. It all depends on your usage. Also, if I were you I'd rather buy the one I showed you and just switch out the battery if needed.

Sure you can just buy that 3800mAh but there are 2 good reason why I would NOT get that. First reason is that it's $10, suspiciously cheap. Second is that it has no brand name. And only 24 people have purchased the one you gave compared to 3k+ from mine.

The reason why I gave you the 2000mAh one is for safety concerns. I'd rather not risk a higher chance of battery explosion/fire just for a little bit more battery juice.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My stock 1750mAh battery gets me through a whole day of usage, most of the time. But I'm not constantly checking Facebook on my phone or playing games a lot, either. I wouldn't necessarily consider this "poor" battery life. And it could be worse - the CDMA/LTE variants of the GNex (Sprint/Verizon) have slightly larger factory batteries, yet have notably poorer battery life.

Another vote for Samsung's official 2000mAh battery if you want an extended battery. I'd say see how the stock battery does in your day to day usage first. Also, keep in mind that not all aftermarket cases will fit on the GNex with an extended battery installed. Seidio does make cases to compensate for their own extended batteries, but with other manufacturers, YMMV.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Be very cautious about buying batteries, if it's an unknown brand or something there's a good chance the battery will explode/catch fire at some point, and you do NOT want that to happen.
If there is a "good chance" then you should be able to post documented proof that this happens. I can find nothing about it. Please post links or I call FUD.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If there is a "good chance" then you should be able to post documented proof that this happens. I can find nothing about it. Please post links or I call FUD.

I'm sorry I should have worded as "higher chance" and there are many documented proof just google it. And because of the nature of how lithium ion batteries work they CAN explode, although rare you still don't want it to happen, and those chances are higher in no name brands because of lower battery quality. And I have no idea what FUD is...

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Seidio's extended batteries are generally of very good quality. None of my friends that have used them have experienced them exploding inside of their devices, but YMMV.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of using Samsung's genuine extended battery is NFC compatibility, if that matters to the user. Seidio's huge 3800mAh battery also adds quite a bit of bulk to the back of the GNex, limiting the types of cases you can use (typically, you're stuck with the cases they make).

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a gnexus and i dont use a case that seidio sell instead you can do a search on amazon and you can find third party cases that fit really good with the extended battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I have use seidio ext battery ever since the original nexus.they are great never had a problem with them.i used them on evo4g, evo3d, and now the nexus.they work great. If you buy them you can search for cases on amazon.third party cases like the one i use fit really good and way cheaper than seidio's cases.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Seidio's extended batteries are generally of very good quality. None of my friends that have used them have experienced them exploding inside of their devices, but YMMV.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of using Samsung's genuine extended battery is NFC compatibility, if that matters to the user. Seidio's huge 3800mAh battery also adds quite a bit of bulk to the back of the GNex, limiting the types of cases you can use (typically, you're stuck with the cases they make).

Thanks. And I'm not saying that the battery will explode, i'm just simply warning people it could happen. Especially with unknown brands, etc. Seido is pretty good so anyone should be ok with their batteries. My specific concern was the one the poster gave, which was $10 and had no brand or anything. The 3500mAh one has NFC on it, it's on the Seidos site.

Also would you know if the Seido's battery fits with the otterbox commuter case for the nexus?

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. And I'm not saying that the battery will explode, i'm just simply warning people it could happen. Especially with unknown brands, etc. Seido is pretty good so anyone should be ok with their batteries. My specific concern was the one the poster gave, which was $10 and had no brand or anything. The 3500mAh one has NFC on it, it's on the Seidos site.

Also would you know if the Seido's battery fits with the otterbox commuter case for the nexus?

It probably doesn't. I inquired to Otterbox awhile back and I was told their cases are not designed for anything except stock batteries.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the 2000mAh battery from Samsung. It's more then I need but I wasn't happy with the stock battery.

I have a cheap TPU case and an Otterbox Commuter case. Both fit with the Samsung battery, just a tighter fit then with the stock setup.

Sent from my rotary phone

hockeyftw

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the 2000mAh battery from Samsung. It's more then I need but I wasn't happy with the stock battery.

I have a cheap TPU case and an Otterbox Commuter case. Both fit with the Samsung battery, just a tighter fit then with the stock setup.

Sent from my rotary phone

How much extra difference did you get with the Samsung extended battery?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci