How I fixed the issue with my Samsung phone not syncing with Exchange Server using ActiveSync

TommieM

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you experience these issues?

• Android Samsung phone ActiveSync not working?
  • Android Samsung phone Push email not working?
  • Android Samsung phone email draining the battery?

I spent a massive amount of hours reading through other peoples posts on various forums to get their Exchange email to work on their Android device. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me. Android Push email using ActiveSync would work initially (one time only) and then it would keep trying to contact the Exchange Server and while doing so, it would drain my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250's battery.

I deleted the account on the phone and deleted the Exchange Server relationship with the phone using the Exchange Management Console, but it would always end up the same way; it worked for the first sync cycle then it just sat there and while trying to sync, it drained the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250's battery. I did this several times and always ended up with the same result; no email being pushed to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250.

Here is how I solved the issue on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 Android phone:

1. Set up the account as you would normally do.
  2. Make sure to set ?Check Frequency? to ?Automatic (push)?.
  3. Once the initial sync is done, change the ?Sync Options? to ?Every 5 minutes?.
  4. Let your device use this setting for an hour.
  5. Now change the ?Sync Options? to ?Automatic (push)?.

To troubleshoot any email issues, start the email log function by doing the following:

1. Add a new email account using the email address d@d.d.
  2. For the password, enter "debug" (without the quotes!).
  3. Select the newly addedd acount Debug and select "Enable extra debug logging", "Enable Exchange parser logging" and "Enable Exchange sd card logging".

All email events will be logged to emaillog.txt in the root of your device SD card. You need an app such as "File Manager" to view the contents. Select the emaillog.txt and open the file with the File Managers text editor.

It takes some time (minutes) before you will see the log file!

Synchronizing my phone with the Exchange Server works great now! I get the emails at almost the same time as my PC gets it. Checking the battery usage, the email usage is gone! That?s how little battery it now uses!

Tommie
My blog about Dreambox and Samsung phone
My blog about Data General minicomputers

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I spent a massive amount of hours reading through other peoples posts on various forums to get their Exchange email to work on their Android device. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me. Android Push email using ActiveSync would work initially (one time only) and then it would keep trying to contact the Exchange Server and while doing so, it would drain my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250's battery.

I deleted the account on the phone and deleted the Exchange Server relationship with the phone using the Exchange Management Console, but it would always end up the same way; it worked for the first sync cycle then it just sat there and while trying to sync, it drained the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250's battery. I did this several times and always ended up with the same result; no email being pushed to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250.

3. Once the initial sync is done, change the ?Sync Options? to ?Every 5 minutes?.

To troubleshoot any email issues, start the email log function by doing the following:

3. Select the newly addedd acount Debug and select "Enable extra debug logging", "Enable Exchange parser logging" and "Enable Exchange sd card logging".

All email events will be logged to emaillog.txt in the root of your device SD card. You need an app such as "File Manager" to view the contents. Select the emaillog.txt and open the file with the File Managers text editor.

Synchronizing my phone with the Exchange Server works great now! I get the emails at almost the same time as my PC gets it. Checking the battery usage, the email usage is gone! That?s how little battery it now uses!

Tommie

Welcome to Android Central Tommie, we appreciate that you contributed on your first post. I would be interested in hearing if this helps anyone else having this problem
Thanks again

bstrac77

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem with my Galaxy S4. Exchange Services chewing up battery was a problem at first, but after deleting and re-creating my ActiveSync account, that went away.

The only issue I'm currently having is that even though "Push" is enabled, messages appear when the want to. Most of the time it's when I open the Mail app to check, they will all of a sudden pop in my Inbox.

Going to try what you suggested -- i.e. toggling "Check Frequency" from Push to Check Every 15 minutes, and then back again. Hopefully that fixes it. I work in IT Ops and need notifications for on-call, so if I can't get this working reliably, I might have to try a new app like Touchdown :-(

Bob Reichardt

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy tab II. This seems to have fixed my problem. I will give a couple of day for sure.
Question: How do you turn off the debugging?

I do have another problem with the Galaxy Tab II. When I select the calendar, I get "unfortunately, Calendar has stopped". My Galaxy Note II has the same accounts as the Galaxy Tab II, and the note II does not have the problem. Any ideas?

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
As I have a similar problem that I can't get an answer to in another forum, I thought I'd describe my issue here in the hope that someone can help...

It’s the same Samsung Google Nexus described in the Tommie post; Android version 4.1.2; Kernel version 3.0.31-g4f6d371; Build number JZO54L.I9250TDVLK2. Carrier is Telstra (Australia)

I have had ActiveSync working fine with the Nexus to my own Windows SBS2003 server (Exchange 2003). The server's MX record then was simply mail.xyz.com.au, and I believe that is still it’s A record. I have found that ActiveSync stops working when I change the server's MX record to one that ensures my email is filtered externally by GFI MAXMail Protection. To implement the mail filtering I was required to have the MX record pointed as follows:

xyz.com.au. IN MX 10 xyz.com.au.pri-mx.ap0109.smtproutes.com.
xyz.com.au. IN MX 90 xyz.com.au.bak-mx.ap0109.smtpbak.com.

The mail filtering is working fine; Outlook "Over the Internet" with my notebook computer remote from my office still works fine, and (importantly) ActiveSync still works fine with a Samsung Tablet and an Ipad Mini I also have. In fact with the Nexus I do not get any error in the setup phase (I've done this many times and know what to expect when things are not done correctly) and it sets the account up fine, to the extent that I actually expect that it will start working. .. but of course it does not: WHY?

However, the mailbox simply displays "No messages". If I force it to try to synchronize, it will eventually respond with "Couldn't open connection to server" in yellow at the top of the screen.

If I reset the MX record back to my own server, ActiveSync starts to work again. But since I get so much junk and spam, I want to use the cloud mail filtering provided by GFI. So I've set it back to the GFI nominated MX record. GFI support people assure me the change to filtering in the cloud cannot possibly affect operation of ActiveSync with my Nexus, which seems to be confirmed by the fact that ActiveSync does still work with other devices.

The Galaxy Nexus claims it is syncing correctly (Corporate Accounts screen shows Last synced "DDHH" (15 minutes ago). Yesterday, I thought briefly that it was making a liar of me as 3 emails suddenly appeared. However, the computer Outlook program shows many more messages, and (importantly) none of my appointments have synced.

Can someone make any suggestions please on how to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks in anticipation. I'd like to send a debug log to someone in Google, but to Whom?

Jerome

Kthompson2013

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Did changing the synch frequency to 15 minutes and then back to Push solve this for you?
We are new to Galaxy devices and have this same problem on multiple devices. There seems to be no pattern to why it stops synching on a Push schedule although I find that it seems to happen on WIFI and I have yet to have the issue when using Cellular only but would like to know if "playing" with the synch schedule resolved it for you.
Thanks!

Rishi Ashar

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Tommie

After upgrading to 4.3 JB on my Note 2,

1.The Push email won't work on stock email app, UNLESS sync is turned on.
2. Massive battery drain (not sure if it is because of the exchange services) (even with sync turned off)

I am not sure if my issue is same as the one for which you gave the solution, but i've give it a try. Not let's see.

Will be posting my observations soon.

Last edited:

Eric LAFFONT

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
This hint also worked for me today on my Samsung Galaxy S5 kit Kat 4.4.2 powered by Orange France
After 1 full day trying a lot of configuration parameters and reinstalls, in the end it is your instruction to force 5 minute polling for an hour that made it work in push mode.
So many thanks
Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34