New Version of Google Play Music Constantly Crashes

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if there are any other GN owners that are having problems with yesterday's release of Google Play Music (version 5.0.1026J.676641). I've installed in but each time I launch it, it quickly force closes and I get an "unexpectedly quit" error. When I uninstall all updates, the older version works fine. Kind of a bummer because I want to give the new All Access thingy a try... for the free 30 day trial.

I see a smattering of feedbacks left in the Play Store that indicate the same problem... but they are across a wide variety of devices.... not only on the Galaxy Nexus. But the vast majority seem to have it working correctly...

Is anyone else having a similar problem? And if so, did you fix it?

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if there are any other GN owners that are having problems with yesterday's release of Google Play Music (version 5.0.1026J.676641). I've installed in but each time I launch it, it quickly force closes and I get an "unexpectedly quit" error. When I uninstall all updates, the older version works fine. Kind of a bummer because I want to give the new All Access thingy a try... for the free 30 day trial.

I see a smattering of feedbacks left in the Play Store that indicate the same problem... but they are across a wide variety of devices.... not only on the Galaxy Nexus. But the vast majority seem to have it working correctly...

Is anyone else having a similar problem? And if so, did you fix it?

I am having the same exact issue. I'm on the Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T). The app worked just fine, until I updated it yesterday. I already signed up for All Access too. It works perfectly fine on the web. I noticed similar feedback in the play store and on other threads here, but you are right....it's across a wide variety of devices / carriers. Thus far, I've tried the following:

1. Uninstall and re-install update (didn't work)
2. Disabled and re-enabled the app and re-updated (didn't work)
3. Rebooted the phone each time I did the 2 items mentioned above (didn't work)

I basically did this around 3-4 times. At one point, I was able to actually get in, but then it kept crashing again. Even when I totally shut down the app, that darn message would still pop up. I would literally have to go into processes and do a force stop.

I'm assuming Google is currently working on this since this could potentially be a revenue killer for them. Let me know if you get it to work and if I figure it out, I'll do the same.

For now, I simply uninstalled the update and reverted back to the previous version (which works perfectly fine, but doesn't sync all the playlists that I created online via all access)

Google better send out a fix or I'll continue with Spotify. Speaking of which, perhaps it's crashing b/c I have the Spotify app installed? lol j/k

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am getting the "ghost" crash notification pop-ups... about two or three, even after I close the app.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the update a bunch and, like you, it did not fix the issue.

I even did a complete factory reset last night (not a huge headache as I am rooted and use Titanium Backup) and I was super surprised to find that that did NOT solve the problem. :eek: I was pretty hopeful that it would work after that.

Yup, I'll be happy to post a fix if I find one. But I think we're gonna have to wait for a new version. Bummer, but it should be within a day or two, I'd guess.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I, too, am getting the "ghost" crash notification pop-ups... about two or three, even after I close the app.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the update a bunch and, like you, it did not fix the issue.

I even did a complete factory reset last night (not a huge headache as I am rooted and use Titanium Backup) and I was super surprised to find that that did NOT solve the problem. :eek: I was pretty hopeful that it would work after that.

Yup, I'll be happy to post a fix if I find one. But I think we're gonna have to wait for a new version. Bummer, but it should be within a day or two, I'd guess.

Wow...I'm surprised the factory reset didn't resolve it. I wasn't willing to do that since I'm a new droid user (former avid Apple user). Given the fact that the update was just released yesterday, I agree with you on an update within a day or two.....day two being today!! :)

Question for you. Before the update was released yesterday, did the app work fine for you?

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Question for you. Before the update was released yesterday, did the app work fine for you?

Yes, it had worked fine before the update. I read on another thread that someone uninstalled their ad-blocking app and that seemed to fix the issue. I just cleared cache and app data (on old version of Music), uninstalled my adblocking app, and will try to download the update now. Fingers crossed.!

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it had worked fine before the update. I read on another thread that someone uninstalled their ad-blocking app and that seemed to fix the issue. I just cleared cache and app data (on old version of Music), uninstalled my adblocking app, and will try to download the update now. Fingers crossed.!

What's adblocking app? Sorry....new droid user here. I'm using the S4 with AT&T.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
My app isn't crashing but I don't think it's working right.. to get it to save "on device" do you have to "save to library" first and then hit that safety pin thing to download to "on device"? I believe this is working.. sort of. It takes FOREVER to, I guess, download and then nothing shows up under "genre". Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or this app is just having issues. Confused.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
My app isn't crashing but I don't think it's working right.. to get it to save "on device" do you have to "save to library" first and then hit that safety pin thing to download to "on device"? I believe this is working.. sort of. It takes FOREVER to, I guess, download and then nothing shows up under "genre". Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or this app is just having issues. Confused.

I'm not really sure since I haven't had a chance to play with the mobile app. Online version via the browser works great. I've created multiple play lists. The fact that this update was just released yesterday, I guess we can cut Google some slack as I'm sure they're already fully aware of all these bugs. They better fix it quick though or they will start to lose revenue. I use spotify and it's pretty much flawless. Keep us posted if you have any updates. BTW, which droid are you using?

Posted via Android Central App

djshackman

May 2, 2013
Visit site

The downloading does seem to be going abnormally slowly, perhaps due to the huge growth and unprepared servers.

I also have the genre issue, and contacted Google to report it. On the Web, you can manually add genres to music you add to your library, by editing the info. That shouldn't be necessary, though, as Google clearly has the meta data in place.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The downloading does seem to be going abnormally slowly, perhaps due to the huge growth and unprepared servers.

I also have the genre issue, and contacted Google to report it. On the Web, you can manually add genres to music you add to your library, by editing the info. That shouldn't be necessary, though, as Google clearly has the meta data in place.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I just got off the phone with google play support. Apparently it's a known issue and an update should be out by tomorrow (according to the rep). I'm sure they're running around with their heads cut off since this is a revenue generating product.

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I too have had this problem on my Galaxy S3 and I have tried everything that everyone has done. It seems to work just fine on my other 2 Android devices. Glad to hear that a fix will be out by the weekend.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I too have had this problem on my Galaxy S3 and I have tried everything that everyone has done. It seems to work just fine on my other 2 Android devices. Glad to hear that a fix will be out by the weekend.

I'm currently going back and forth with google right now via e-mail and they want me to download aLogCat so they can see what's going on. I did that so they could further investigate.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Out of curiosity, what are those 2 other Android devices that it worked on?