Phone is stuck on Google's Logo.

Selena Rios

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have a Google Samsung Nexus and it was my sister's boyfriend's phone. He gave it to me and told me if I fix it I could have it. Okay he messed the phone up. He tried I think Jail breaking it, but it was a huge fail. He said something is wrong with the phone's operating system. Can I fix it or is there no hope for this phone? If I can what can I do. I tried searching things up, but they want me to download things. I want to be 100% positive that I won't make it worse or mess up my laptop. Is there hope or should I give up.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Since it sounds like your not worried about anything on the phone currently I would suggest to make things simple, downloading Wugs Toolkit and allow the program to work its magic.

It will install the proper drivers so your computer and phone will communicate.

Then you can select the right version of Galaxy Nexus, in your case the Google Samsung Nexus (GSM version) I assume.

Then you want to restore/flash the factory images which will completely wipe the device, and load the factory software back onto the device just like it was new out of the box.

Then program is very simple to use and does 99% of it for you aside from a few clicks on your end to select things.

Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.3 | WugFresh

Selena Rios

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Downloading this won't harm my laptop? Also thank you :)

Well I download it and there is a part where I have to install a USB Driver. I can't do this step because it wants me to go on my phone settings. Which I can't do cause its stuck on the google logo. Anything else I can do.

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Downloading this won't harm my laptop? Also thank you :)

Well I download it and there is a part where I have to install a USB Driver. I can't do this step because it wants me to go on my phone settings. Which I can't do cause its stuck on the google logo. Anything else I can do.

You can not mess up your laptop unless you download stuff from an unknown source.
First off we need to make sure a recovery is on the phone...
go here ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries and download the google galaxy nexus (what ever model you have (att and Tmobile are gsm)
then you need to download the SDK package from google. here Android SDK | Android Developers
then once it downloads... you will need to unzip it. Put all the files/folders into a new folder on your C:/ drive and name it android.
then you will need to navigate through the folder and find the one that has some files that say fastboot and adb.
right click in here and say open command promt here.
This will open a black box that allows you to communicate with the phone. (cmd, terminal)
then plug the phone in and see if the computer can recognize it. If not you will need to download the drivers. Install Keis from samsung and it should fix that SAMSUNG KIES

then you will need to connect the phone and type adb devices in the black box. if it shows the phone its working. Now you will need to push the recovery to the phone.
place the CWM recovery file from earlier into the same folder where it says fastboot and adb.
then type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
it should push it to the phone. If it works it will take around 3 seconds.

then go to the phone and hold down power and volume down until a screen pops up with an arrow. Use the volume down button until it says recovery. then click the power button.
once in here your phone will be fine. you will have to choose a ROM from XDA-developers.com I prefer purity [ROM] [4.2.2][GPL][GCC 4.8.1][Linaro] ♦ | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

then navigate on the phone in recovery to mount your device. Once mounted. You will need to place the zip file (purity) onto the sd card. then you will go back to the phone and unmount. once your done with that its time to wipe the phone clean. do a system wipe, cache wipe, and data wipe (dont wipe the sd card) go back and then say install zip. choose from sd and pick that file. It will do the rest.
Good luck

Xy7

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You can not mess up your laptop unless you download stuff from an unknown source.
First off we need to make sure a recovery is on the phone...
go here ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries and download the google galaxy nexus (what ever model you have (att and Tmobile are gsm)
then you need to download the SDK package from google. here Android SDK | Android Developers
then once it downloads... you will need to unzip it. Put all the files/folders into a new folder on your C:/ drive and name it android.
then you will need to navigate through the folder and find the one that has some files that say fastboot and adb.
right click in here and say open command promt here.
This will open a black box that allows you to communicate with the phone. (cmd, terminal)
then plug the phone in and see if the computer can recognize it. If not you will need to download the drivers. Install Keis from samsung and it should fix that SAMSUNG KIES

then you will need to connect the phone and type adb devices in the black box. if it shows the phone its working. Now you will need to push the recovery to the phone.
place the CWM recovery file from earlier into the same folder where it says fastboot and adb.
then type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
it should push it to the phone. If it works it will take around 3 seconds.

then go to the phone and hold down power and volume down until a screen pops up with an arrow. Use the volume down button until it says recovery. then click the power button.
once in here your phone will be fine. you will have to choose a ROM from XDA-developers.com I prefer purity [ROM] [4.2.2][GPL][GCC 4.8.1][Linaro] ♦ | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

then navigate on the phone in recovery to mount your device. Once mounted. You will need to place the zip file (purity) onto the sd card. then you will go back to the phone and unmount. once your done with that its time to wipe the phone clean. do a system wipe, cache wipe, and data wipe (dont wipe the sd card) go back and then say install zip. choose from sd and pick that file. It will do the rest.
Good luck
My Nexus S (GT-i9020T) turned off overnight with nearly full battery and when I try to turn it back on it gets stuck at black screen with Google at center. I tried hard resets as described like here: Hard Reset - Galaxy Nexus by Samsung. No help...

It's definitely a software glitch since it happened overnight and it's not like I've dropped the phone or anything recently. It's been working great until now since I got it straight from Google around when it came out about 2 yrs ago and ran current Android on it.

Anyway, Ryandroid86's sequence didn't work for me, sadly... I was so hopeful. Even after installing Samsung Kies my computer doesn't seem to recognize the phone. I also tried to install my phone's drivers separately which didn't help (after uninstalling Kies).

My phone's not recognized so command prompts don't register.

Is my phone completely dead/useless now? More suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Google Samsung Nexus and it was my sister's boyfriend's phone. He gave it to me and told me if I fix it I could have it. Okay he messed the phone up. He tried I think Jail breaking it, but it was a huge fail. He said something is wrong with the phone's operating system. Can I fix it or is there no hope for this phone? If I can what can I do. I tried searching things up, but they want me to download things. I want to be 100% positive that I won't make it worse or mess up my laptop. Is there hope or should I give up.
EDIT A lengthy how-to was described but I'm guessing that may be complex to someone who doesn't know root from jailbreak...

I just reread the title. Shut the phone off (Pull the battery if you have to, or just hold down power button till it shuts off.) After its off hold down the power button and the volume up/down buttons at the same time and see if it gets you to small recovery menu. You'll need to hold them for a while...past the boot screen.

Xy7

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Shut the phone off (Pull the battery if you have to, or just hold down power button till it shuts off.) After its off hold down the power button and the volume up/down buttons at the same time and see if it gets you to small recovery menu. You'll need to hold them for a while...past the boot screen.
This unfortunately didn't work for me for apparently same issue per my post above. I can get into boot mode OK and am able to select any and all of the options. Problem is, nothing works to resolve the Google screen freeze issue. Also, my computer just plain doesn't recognize my phone even though I installed its drivers from Samsung, so I can't use Android SDK to fix, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21