Android 4.4 Kit Kat

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You'd imagine because of the specs of the moto x but keep in mind upon release of the new nexus we may lose support on the galaxy nexus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If the Galaxy Nexus does not get updated it would be like the iPhone 4s not getting iOS 7. To me that would tarnish the nexus line to a degree. I am expecting an update tho, the phone still runs great.

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It will absolutely get the 4.4. update if the criteria are if its capable...The Cpu and Gpu are not far behind the Moto X which is also a dual core.

CPU Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU PowerVR SGX540
1GB RAM

This is more than enough horsepower. My GN runs 4.3 as well as it ran its original OS 4.0. It may not run new games very well, but Google isn't going to base their upgrade path on that.

Google has a lot less reason to not upgrade phones then the carriers.

We will get it, have faith. I barely care other than to have it as my new backup phone. Its absolutely time for an upgrade.

On the other hand does it matter? XDA will have a 4.4 ROM up for the GN within a month...and probably a lot faster...

Last edited:

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you are right that the Galaxy nexus has the hardware to run 4.4. What worries me is they already cut off support for the nexus s.

Posted via Android Central App

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus S started with gingerbread, then ICS, then Jellybean up to 4.1.2. If Google stays true to that then the GNEX started at ICS, then JB, Lastly should be 4.4 KitKat. I hope this is what happens with the GNEX. the only thing the GNEX has going against it is the 1GB of ram in my opinion because a lot of phones including the Moto X have dual core processors. I doubt the X8 chip in the X really matters as much in the OS updates since it is the only OEM that has that feature. Then again I could be completely wrong

zineesh

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed my friends iphone 5 has google now, that you can swipe from the left to access with "ok google" voice search. How comes the same implementation is not there in the GNEX it''s very disappointing that google would put aside their own device, but update their competitors. :( :'(

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus won't be getting the 4.4 update mainly because of its processor. While it is powerful enough to handle 4.4, it is made by TI, who dropped out of the mobile CPU market and thus no longer supports their processors. Essentially, it isn't Google's fault that the GNex won't be getting the update; I'm sure they would update it if they could. Keep in mind that the GNex still got more major updates (three) than the Nexus One and Nexus S (each got two).

AndrewMelder

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes it uses a TI chip but Google still manage to support that processor family in Google Glass.

Fact is, Google very easily could have made 4.4 for the Galaxy Nexus but chose not to.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes it uses a TI chip but Google still manage to support that processor family in Google Glass.

Fact is, Google very easily could have made 4.4 for the Galaxy Nexus but chose not to.

They need assistance from TI to update the kernel. Manufacturers generally do that coding.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
They need assistance from TI to update the kernel. Manufacturers generally do that coding.

Google has a strict 18 month update policy. TI released updated drivers. The GNex is just a bit to old.

But there are some 4.4 ROMs out there. Without anyone utilizing those drivers graphical glitches will continue and there are reboots and they're having to use old vendor files, binaries etc but its something!

My Verizon GNex is making an excellent chromecast/media player for the house. And the battery is 10x better with no SIM or LTE radios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo