nexus says its charging when it isn't

Austin185

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday my nexus randomly says its charging when it isn't. The battery is also dieing quickly. I have tried restarting it, pulling battery out, letting it die then charging it. No luck. I even tried messing with charging port. What could it be? Is there a fix other than a factory reset?

Posted via Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
have a close look at the charging/USB port. It should be centered. If it's not, carefully (VERY CAREFULLY) bend it back to center using something plastic - not metal. I have experienced similar problems with charging/not charging/not recognized by my computer.

Also double check the cable you're using. The end might be damaged and not properly charging your phone.

Wouldn't hurt to go through your apps and check for something that's been eating battery (I use GSam Battery Monitor).

Austin185

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried bending it back to center but it seems to go right back. Every time I check to see what is using the battery, its something different since it thinks its charging. One minute it will say 5m on battery then 5 minutes later it will say 2 seconds on battery and show different app usage

Posted via Android Central App

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Also consider the charger you're using, the cable you're using, or the USB port you're using could be defective/damaged as well.

First try a different cable. If nothing changes, change your charging source (a different outlet, a different charger, a different USB port). Best to eliminate all the variables. If you're not sure if one setup is working, charge your phone or other device to see if it's working properly