[MEGATHREAD] What is google activity com.samsung.sdm.sdmviewer

flynnnmoe

May 28, 2017
Visit site
List of terminology? Description? Samsung.sdm.sdmviewer???

In my "activity" there is always some items I don't understand. What is Samsung.sdm.sdmviewer? Android,server.telecom, then theres a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head. Trying to decifer some of these terms so I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: List of terminology? Description? Samsung.sdm.sdmviewer???

In my "activity" there is always some items I don't understand. What is Samsung.sdm.sdmviewer? Android,server.telecom, then theres a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head. Trying to decifer some of these terms so I'd appreciate any help you can give.

That's the package name for Samsung Deskphone Manager. Android apps use a package name as a unique identifier. Each app must have a unique one so that you don't install one app in or over another. The package name is also part of the app's URL for the play store. This is yet another reason why an app's package name must be unique. When you install an app, whether it be from the play store, third-party market, or straight from an APK, an app package is downloaded (or loaded) and then installed from the app's APK. The APK contains the resources and dalvik code for the app. The package name in the APK becomes the installation directory and will also create a copy of the app's APK within the installation path. An APK is akin to a Win32 ".exe" executable, but acts as an installation package at the same time. They're essentially a ZIP archive that houses the app's compiled code/resources that are used when the app is launched. Here is an example of how the package name works in correlation with the APK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/data/data/%DEVELOPER%.%APPNAME%/-1%APKNAME%.apk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"%DEVELOPER%.%APPNAME%" would be the app package name; developers sometimes place their name or the company's name, followed by the app name. Since namespaces are disallowed in package names, individual aspects of the package name are separated by decimals. I have found through my many modding ventures, that most package names begin with "com.". This is likely the result of an SDK automatically applying a package name from its own format or template package name that slaps-on the app name when the app is compiled.

Some apps even have multiple activities that will each have a "sub-package name" that carry out specific functions within the app. They look like something along these lines:
%DEV%.%APP%:
->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY01%
-->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY02%
--->%DEV%.%APP%.%ACTIVITY03%

These sub-activities function like entry points, and are essentially the same thing.

I suppose when it comes down to it, the package names and activities are decided by the developer and will vary per app. Often times parts of these names are abbreviations of things like the company or specific function. Some of these names can even be inferred as to what they are, or even do, based on the given names or labels they have.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung galaxy S7 and I see an activity under google Used com.samsung.sdm.sdmviewer. What app is being used that lists that activity on my google account? I have no idea what it is.

CmDPpee93

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site

That is by far the most direct, informational, and best answer I've ever seen in a forum. I just read a paragraph and learned like six things. Bravo!

A

Android Central Question

Whyis samsund sdm viewer showing in my activity?

We do not own a landline phone or desktop(that I'm aware of). Why is com.samsung.sdm.sdmveiwer showing up in my activity. My Google account is linked to my wife's. Is there a phone or line I don't know about?

A

Android Central Question

what does samsung.sdm.sdmviewer do?

in my google activity, i see "samsung.sdm.sdmviewer" but i didn't use any remote desk phone app; i don't even know what the heck it is for, and i don't have a samsung desk phone ...??

A

Android Central Question

if you keep seeing samsung sdn viewer in history does it mean that person has a 2nd phone number

I keep seeing Samsung sdmviewer when I look it up it says Samsung desk phone mamager what is a deskphone manager does that mean the phone can have 2 phone lines

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: if you keep seeing samsung sdn viewer in history does it mean that person has a 2nd phone number

An SDN driver is probably a "software defined network driver". That wouldn't have anything to do with phone numbers. (Of course, Samsung is free to name their software anything they like, standards are nice to have but they're not enforced in any way.)

A

Android Central Question

What is com.samsung/sdm/viewer and what does it do?

I keep seeing this samsung sdm viewer on my Google activity. What is its purpose?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A

Android Central Question

Why does sdm veiwer keep showing up in activity

The com.samsung.sdm.sdmveiwer keep showing up in my wife's S9+? She says she doesn't know. It seems random but mostly late night hrs. I installed the Companion app and the activity said "used Companion...... and right after w the same time says "used com.samsung.sdm.sdmveiwer". Why and what is the SDMveiwer being used for? We dont have a landline much less a Samsung desk phone.

Prettylash2019

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site

Hello, I am continuously seeing this code in my google activity. However, I do not have or use a Samsung Deskphone Manager to my knowledge.

What other app can make this code run?