Stadia, circa July 2020. 4g/5g, Razer Kishi, etc

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a few thoughts on Stadia and personal observations on where it stands today.

A blazing success!!! No.
A tragic bomb! No.
Another canceled Google project? No (well, as much as anything from Google can claim that, so 'not yet')

But it has definitely grown and evolved, and continues to show promise that will hopefully not end unfulfilled.

As of today, a very wide number of mobile phones are supported. Chromecast. Chrome.

Support for a large number of 3rd party controllers. On-screen controller option for phones. More and more of what Google promised initially is coming out - a lot of it horrifically late, but coming out nonetheless.

Most recently, wireless Stadia controller support for mobile devices, and ('beta') 4G/5G support for mobile devices.

With that last one, Stadia is entering into a new realm of functionality, with gamers being able to start a session on PC or chromecast, and pick it back up later while out and about, without the mandate of having a WiFi connection. I've toyed around with it a bit and, having a good quality 4g connection, am very pleased so far with the performance. Unfortunately, the on-screen controller option is a very poor substitute for tactile buttons and joysticks, and the Stadia Controller is a bit cumbersome to tote around, but.....

Razer's switch-like Kishi snap-on phone controller is now available and supports Stadia. Being directly connected to the phone through USB-C, it should have comparably low latency to the Stadia Controller's direct connection. That paired with 4G looks to be a great match, only to become even better with 5G's ultra-low network latency. As to data caps, that might be a concern, but I've pushed north of 1TB of mobile data use in a month without throttling in the past, so while I might not be able to game on it 24/7, it should still certainly afford a good bit. Just bit the bullet and ordered the Kishi, will pass along general thoughts of how it works compared to the Stadia controller once I've had a chance to play around with it on my Pixel 3 XL.

It's still way too early to gauge whether Stadia will be able to compete effectively in the long run vs other streaming services, but it's also way too early to rule them out. For now, I'm still enjoying the heck out of it (side note - 'Orcs Must Die 3' is fantastic).

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the vice controller that used to be on sale on the Google Play store and it's the same type of controller that makes your phone feel like you are playing on a Nintendo switch and it connects directly to the type c port making it a direct connection. This controller fully supports Stadia and lag free. I have had nothing but an excellent experience playing it on my pixel 4 XL for the last 5 months. It also has pass through to allow charging whole you play if needed + it has speaker holes on top where the bottom speaker of the pixel is so it redirects right in front of you to match the top front facing speaker making it sound like dual front facing speakers.

The Kishi controller seems like it's a better build over all so I'd go for that one, but this one has been pretty good.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Been using the Kishi for a while now, and love it. I wouldn't call it a 'super premium' build, but the build quality is still quite good. Basically no latency from the controller is the biggest plus.

If anyone else has picked one up or thought about it, and wants a carry case for the Kishi, https://www.amazon.com/Ruggard-HCY-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6841501 fits it perfectly when its 'folded' or 'collapsed' - If Razer had put it out with their logo and said it was built specifically for the Kishi, I'd have commended them on an excellent fit.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I don't play games but since another member on a forum posted.. I scooped up Google free gifts... Now what.?

c36d3bbeb66856ab6c18d7ca73cd9d09.jpg

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I got the promotion as well. In fact cos I have a family plan we have picked up 4 promotional packs, saving £360. I bought Baldurs Gate 3 with the £10 discount they gave me and I got 3 months free pro with my Google 1 subscription. So far it has played nicely with my pixelbook and my husband set his up with a chromecast ultra. I am waiting for my chromecast with Google TV to support it before I play on my TV. At least having bought Baldurs Gate I can still play it when I cancel my pro account in January.

I am just glad I didn't buy a pack cos free is definitely better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome