Just as a lot of us figured, Stadia is a bust on launch

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well so far the vast majority was right..... Stadia is having all the predicted problems in a major way on launch. Why does Google seem so out of touch with their hardware divisions? Do they figure they're too big to fail? Have enough money that they don't care? Or are they really that out of touch with anything that isn't Android software development?

I don't think I've ever seen a company this big fail at so many hardware related ventures so consistently :O

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There's plenty of positive reviews for how the actual games play, so calling it a bust is perhaps premature. Yes, they have make a lot of missteps (not a lot of titles, issues with rollout of account setup codes, devices).

I laughed at one published review citing its failure that it didn't work well when trying to run it on public wifi... at Starbucks.

I've now received my code and setup my account. I don't yet have the controller (due in today) so haven't been able to play on my phone (as I lack any of the other compatible controllers), but have given it a try on PC and am quite impressed with delivery of graphics performance (at 1080) and surprisingly low latency for commands. Will have to see how it runs later with the controller and connecting to TV (unfortunately not 4k) with the Chromecast.

The way I look at it is that I had been planning on picking up a Chromecast Ultra anyway, so in buying the Founder's Edition I effectively invested $60 in what is universally reported as a very, very well designed controller and two games that I didn't already own.

Much like with how the Pixel 4 and 4 XL were given nearly universal horrible reviews before people actually used the released version, and, after they made it out to people for a couple of weeks, a very different report was provided by many actual users (and reviewers), it's worth reserving judgment on the future of Stadia till a bit later than the 2nd day, when only an exceedingly tiny fraction of even the founder's editions have made it with activation code to end users. Especially since the potential for optimization for a new service essentially entirely housed in Google's servers is much higher than that for more matured, issued hardware like Pixels where the software can only do so much.

It could definitely, absolutely be a bust. But it ain't there yet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's plenty of positive reviews for how the actual games play, so calling it a bust is perhaps premature. Yes, they have make a lot of missteps (not a lot of titles, issues with rollout of account setup codes, devices).

I laughed at one published review citing its failure that it didn't work well when trying to run it on public wifi... at Starbucks.

I've now received my code and setup my account. I don't yet have the controller (due in today) so haven't been able to play on my phone (as I lack any of the other compatible controllers), but have given it a try on PC and am quite impressed with delivery of graphics performance (at 1080) and surprisingly low latency for commands. Will have to see how it runs later with the controller and connecting to TV (unfortunately not 4k) with the Chromecast.

The way I look at it is that I had been planning on picking up a Chromecast Ultra anyway, so in buying the Founder's Edition I effectively invested $60 in what is universally reported as a very, very well designed controller and two games that I didn't already own.

Much like with how the Pixel 4 and 4 XL were given nearly universal horrible reviews before people actually used the released version, and, after they made it out to people for a couple of weeks, a very different report was provided by many actual users (and reviewers), it's worth reserving judgment on the future of Stadia till a bit later than the 2nd day, when only an exceedingly tiny fraction of even the founder's editions have made it with activation code to end users. Especially since the potential for optimization for a new service essentially entirely housed in Google's servers is much higher than that for more matured, issued hardware like Pixels where the software can only do so much.

It could definitely, absolutely be a bust. But it ain't there yet.
I had placed an order a long time ago but they wouldn't allow me to use a Google store credit so I sat on the fence. I went to order a few weeks ago but since the Founders edition sat in my cart too long I was no longer eligible for Founders. At this point I'll wait and see.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I had placed an order a long time ago but they wouldn't allow me to use a Google store credit so I sat on the fence. I went to order a few weeks ago but since the Founders edition sat in my cart too long I was no longer eligible for Founders. At this point I'll wait and see.

Oh, don't get the wrong impression - I'm not all 'gung-ho' for the product. I'm still optimistic about the potential from what I've experienced so far and with where Google could be with it within a couple of months, and mostly just excited for where it is pushing the industry. I have no doubt that streaming is the future of gaming (and 5g has the potential to fully resolve the latency and bandwidth pain points), and figured it was a nominal investment - basically if I get my gaming value out of just the two included games I'll be happy, and anything beyond that is a win for me.

I think the smart move for most people is certainly to wait to see where it's at in a couple of months, and for the vast majority would be to wait until the 'free' launch.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh, don't get the wrong impression - I'm not all 'gung-ho' for the product. I'm still optimistic about the potential from what I've experienced so far and with where Google could be with it within a couple of months, and mostly just excited for where it is pushing the industry. I have no doubt that streaming is the future of gaming (and 5g has the potential to fully resolve the latency and bandwidth pain points), and figured it was a nominal investment - basically if I get my gaming value out of just the two included games I'll be happy, and anything beyond that is a win for me.

I think the smart move for most people is certainly to wait to see where it's at in a couple of months, and for the vast majority would be to wait until the 'free' launch.
No wrong impression at all.
I'm not sure it's really important to have a Founders addition but thought it would have been nice

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So far I have been playing mortal Kombat 11 and samurai shodown and it's been running very good, even distiny 2. I did get a stutter here and there but almost never. It didn't feel any different then when consoles or PC games sometimes have a small hiccup. For the most part I'm impressed and things could only get better.

I pre-order the founders edition going into this with the mind set of this being a beta or soft launch even though Google didn't role it out that way. What Google should of done was launch it as a beta and communicate that to the community I bet then they wouldn't get all this negative press. So for me I'm happy that I can take this with me and play it in my room, living room, pixelbook or even my pixel 4 xl ok the go. I travel sometimes for work and curious to see how this will hold. Sometimes hotel connection sucks, sometimes it's good. But will be cool if it works when I travel depending on the connection.

I hope they don't kill this project and continue to tweak it. The dream here is to allow us to download games to our Chromebooks, Android devices and allow us to play local as well. That would be awesome. It would be similar to a switch.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well so far the vast majority was right..... Stadia is having all the predicted problems in a major way on launch. Why does Google seem so out of touch with their hardware divisions? Do they figure they're too big to fail? Have enough money that they don't care? Or are they really that out of touch with anything that isn't Android software development?

I don't think I've ever seen a company this big fail at so many hardware related ventures so consistently :O
I would give it time before passing judgement. Any new system will always have more kinks at launch than phase testing. Also, aside from the servers and a game pad, Stadia seems more like software rather than hardware but that's certainly debatable since the server side is huge. The real question I have is will there be enough demand to make it successful.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I would give it time before passing judgement. Any new system will always have more kinks at launch than phase testing. Also, aside from the servers and a game pad, Stadia seems more like software rather than hardware but that's certainly debatable since the server side is huge. The real question I have is will there be enough demand to make it successful.

I agree, you guys have made very valid points.... that's what forums are about ;-) I'm a big Google fan at heart and sometimes I get a little frustrated with them seemingly missing the mark which is pretty obvious to the rest of us. But they have the resources and tech to make most anything work if they really want it to. Patience will be the key here.

I do think this is something they're not going to toss aside easily ;-)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
What Google should of done was launch it as a beta and communicate that to the community I bet then they wouldn't get all this negative press.

It would definitely have helped. The number of games isn't massive, but I don't think that's a huge deal - it'll be more of an issue for its long-term success if they don't have a much broader catalog by the time the 'standard' access is opened. At that point, I'm sure they'll make a few games (certainly at least some first-party) available as free, or offer a limited trial on some games, to get people to try the system - even there, they're gaining their primary goal, which is collected data.

Still, a large amount of bad press was guaranteed for 3 reasons. First, it's Google, and they're a perennial target; second, it's a fairly publicized launch of what has historically been an unsuccessful delivery model; and third, possibly more significant, global gaming revenues are expected to have exceeded $150 Billion in 2019[/I], so it wouldn't be unimaginable for the key players in that industry that don't yet have a competing delivery service to take public and clandestine efforts to keep Google from gaining traction and potentially being a Tesla to their fossil fuel industry.

I do think this is something they're not going to toss aside easily ;-)

I agree - not a chance - they don't even need to be massively successful in terms of market share given the size of the industry to make a direct profit, and the potential if they actually do gain sizable share in what is the apparent evolution of gaming platforms is staggering. Regardless, they will also be getting huge amounts of data from what has to be a high value target audience.

Performance for me has been very good so far on browser and TV (though not fantastic on Pixel 3 XL), but I expect nearly every performance complaint levied against Stadia will be quickly voided once 5G is fairly widespread and matured.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It would definitely have helped. The number of games isn't massive, but I don't think that's a huge deal - it'll be more of an issue for its long-term success if they don't have a much broader catalog by the time the 'standard' access is opened. At that point, I'm sure they'll make a few games (certainly at least some first-party) available as free, or offer a limited trial on some games, to get people to try the system - even there, they're gaining their primary goal, which is collected data.

Still, a large amount of bad press was guaranteed for 3 reasons. First, it's Google, and they're a perennial target; second, it's a fairly publicized launch of what has historically been an unsuccessful delivery model; and third, possibly more significant, global gaming revenues are expected to have exceeded $150 Billion in 2019[/I], so it wouldn't be unimaginable for the key players in that industry that don't yet have a competing delivery service to take public and clandestine efforts to keep Google from gaining traction and potentially being a Tesla to their fossil fuel industry.

I agree - not a chance - they don't even need to be massively successful in terms of market share given the size of the industry to make a direct profit, and the potential if they actually do gain sizable share in what is the apparent evolution of gaming platforms is staggering. Regardless, they will also be getting huge amounts of data from what has to be a high value target audience.

Performance for me has been very good so far on browser and TV (though not fantastic on Pixel 3 XL), but I expect nearly every performance complaint levied against Stadia will be quickly voided once 5G is fairly widespread and matured.
Agreed they should have launched it with some free to play demos not just 2 free games. There is definitely a lot of things they could have done differently and setting the expectation should of been prioritize. Regardless I'm excited and I'm enjoying the fact that I can play mortal Kombat 11 since I'm a huge fan of the series and own ever mk game except mk11 until now because I held off on 11 since they announced it on stadia. Since I was going to order Stadia I decided to wait to buy it here instead.

Last night I was playing the story mode and got to chapter 2 (via my TV). Then around 10 pm I went to my room lay in bed to start relaxing as I typically do watching Netflix and typically I shut everything off at midnight then go to sleep. Well this time I brought up the stadia controller and my pixel 4 xl and continued playing while sitting/laying in bed with some pillows behind my back to support me and another pillow on top of my lap to hold the phone facing me while I continued playing mk 11 where I left off. I don't have the claw yet so it's a bit more complicated when it comes to playing on the phone, but the point is I can see this type of convenience and mobility being awesome.

As for controllers if I could find a Nintendo switch style controller that supports Stadia that that would be the dream because I could hold the phone at a much more comfortable position. I know there are a few Nintendo switch Bluetooth like controllers, but currently Bluetooth is not supported on the pixel and you need to be tethered in from the controller to the phone. I've tested with an Xbox controller via micro USB to type c on my phone, PC, pixelbook prior to my Stadia controller arriving yesterday and it worked great.

If anyone knows of any Nintendo switch like controllers that support Stadia please let me know.

As for my experience so far it's been great, I'll say there has been a little bit of stutter here and there but so minimal and it reminds me of consoles or PC games where every once in a while regardless of how powerful your PC is or console where you still get a little stutter every once in a blue moon. Stadia definitely occurred more often, but not often enough to **** me off. Also, of course this will improve over time and I invested in this with the mind set that I'm a beta tester and there will be some hiccups. For me this is okay because I knew that from the start.

I will say I have not yet played multi player so the lag there could be different (with exception of destiny 2 which I've tried), but so far streaming in story mode on MK and the game being a fast pace fighting game it ran great. I also tried Destiny 2 and samurai shodown and they both ran pretty good. Destiny 2 had a few more hiccups than samurai S and MK 11 but still ran great for me for the most part. That is the only game I have tried via multi player so far.

I don't think Stadia is for the super hardcore gamer especially the hardcore multi player gamer, I mean definitely playable but it's still wayyyyy in the early stages. However, for someone like me the more casual gamer, someone who will enjoy playing on the go and with my son once in a while this is freaking amazing.

I hope Google allows us to side load games on devices like the pixel 4, pixelbook sometime in the future similar to the Nintendo switch, this would allow us to side load some of our favorite games (not a lot at once due to storage obviously) but a couple where we could play the single player locally without an internet connection. Then once you get online your progress should sync. That would be the dream for me since I travel sometimes and would love to game while flying.

Sorry for the he Gramma/typos, but I wrote this quickly while working from my phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If anyone knows of any Nintendo switch like controllers that support Stadia please let me know.

Switch Pro controller is supported for PC, just not (yet?) for phone.

Capture.PNG

Separate note, always enjoyed the FF series so buckled under and paid for that one. Looks stunning and plays beautifully on phone/tv(1080)/browser.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah and the claw design is meh..... Because it covers some buttons too and just not the most attractive design to be honest.

From looking at the picture, it doesn't actually cover any buttons, but the stem from phone to controller is adjacent to some making it a little less ergonomic. I was watching one review where they commented that they liked the claw, but attaching it and removing it a few times had already left some marks on the controller - a shame given it's a 'special edition.' They should have used the silicon or another padding for the points where the claw makes contact with the controller, not just the phone.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
From looking at the picture, it doesn't actually cover any buttons, but the stem from phone to controller is adjacent to some making it a little less ergonomic. I was watching one review where they commented that they liked the claw, but attaching it and removing it a few times had already left some marks on the controller - a shame given it's a 'special edition.' They should have used the silicon or another padding for the points where the claw makes contact with the controller, not just the phone.
Oh wow.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just when a bunch of people were hoping Stadia would stay a bust

https://www.androidcentral.com/razer-announces-new-kishi-mobile-controller-ces-2020

Looks like this might be exactly what you were looking for - allegedly shipping 1Q, so very soon. Similar to, but upgraded from, the Junglecat referenced above -- No added BT latency, plugs into USB-C with charging passthrough, and, according to the AC preview above.... Stadia-compatible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance