Google TV 2.0 still coming to Revue

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I asked Logitech if they are still releasing the Google TV 2.0 update, here is what they said:

"The Android 3.1 update (also known as Google TV 2.0) will be released for the Revue. Although Logitech has decided to no longer manufacture the Revue I would like to mention that the device will continue to be supported under the terms of the Logitech warranty policy.

Currently we do not have an official release date for the Android 3.1 Honeycomb update. The only information that we have been provided is that it will be released 'in the coming weeks ahead'.

Just to let everyone with a Revue know, we are STILL GETTING THE UPDATE!

ian3047#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ya, those who more than skimmed the articles about what Logitech said of Google TV and losing money would have seen they also said future updates and support will still be available. Amazes me how many sites people were posting rumors of no update.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
yep. Also people saying that google tv itself is going away. Not the logitech screwed the pooch with their approach to it. Come on, $300 for the Revue was asking way too much.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
$300 for a stop-gap solution until there are TVs with GTV built in natively? How can you go wrong?!? :)

If they had built it for the $100 price point, and designed it for early adopters (give us a software image so we can revert to stock, "leak" rooting and flashing information, etc.) they would have been spot on. As a Harmony user I also think their Harmony integration was probably a bit of overkill. Give us an IR out and let the community provide Harmony integration.

Sharpy

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Bullsh!t...first it was "this summer", now "a few weeks"....I am soooo disappointed I dropped $300 on a box of empty promises...ain't ever gonna happen...be like the G1 coming to Verizon....VAPORWARE

chubbs123

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only guy here who likes his Revue? It's not perfect and maybe you can't do everything as promised but I still use it almost everyday. Yes $300 was a drastic price and kept a lot of people from buying at the start but at $100 (or less if it goes on sale Black Friday) and the GTV 2.0 update "coming soon", I don't see the reason to "hate" it.

Logitech made a nice device (I love the keyboard) and Google made a decent piece of software to run it. The main problems were not updating it quickly and most of the major networks crippling the service to make it go away. If they fixed those two problems you would have an AMAZING device but as it is, it's still pretty good.

So bring on Google TV 2.0 Logitech. I'll be waiting on Skyfire and Angry Birds to make their apps and I'm set :)

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Angry Birds to make their apps and I'm set :)

The crippling by major TV and Hulu was bad, but there were many other issues, but the update does fix some of them. Anyway, Angry Birds currently force closes on Sony GTV 2.0 and the Chrome version doesn't work. Roku does have a working Angry Birds.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I got Gingerbread for my HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible, Honeycomb for my Asus Transformer. Now I am waiting to get the software upgrade for my Revue. Logitech / Google, please release it!!! :)

Sharpy

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Bullsh!t...first it was "this summer", now "a few weeks"....I am soooo disappointed I dropped $300 on a box of empty promises...ain't ever gonna happen...be like the G1 coming to Verizon....VAPORWARE

Like I said, today's Twitter reply from Logitech

"Logitech Revue devices will receive the automatic and free updated version of Google TV before the end of the year."

push back, push back, push back...

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only guy here who likes his Revue? It's not perfect and maybe you can't do everything as promised but I still use it almost everyday. Yes $300 was a drastic price and kept a lot of people from buying at the start but at $100 (or less if it goes on sale Black Friday) and the GTV 2.0 update "coming soon", I don't see the reason to "hate" it.

Logitech made a nice device (I love the keyboard) and Google made a decent piece of software to run it. The main problems were not updating it quickly and most of the major networks crippling the service to make it go away. If they fixed those two problems you would have an AMAZING device but as it is, it's still pretty good.

So bring on Google TV 2.0 Logitech. I'll be waiting on Skyfire and Angry Birds to make their apps and I'm set :)

I love my Revue. I got it right after the price went to $99. What I think is funny are some of the reviews. They complain about the keyboard being so big and the track pad not being needed (See CNET) then when they review the Boxee, they said it needs a full size keyboard and a track pad (CNET once again).

One of the problems that many devices run into now-a-days is people taking out their asses. They never used the device, or only used it for 2 minutes at a display, but that does not stop them from posting trash about it.

While the Revue is not perfect, anyone to actually use it for any amount of time would like it. The most annoying thing I find about it is Chrome. It locks up while downloading ad bars and other crap. I hear the update fixes that issue though

mightymikek83

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I actually think people need to give the Revue more than two days before a review can be made.

My roommate told me whats the point of buying the damn google tv? I told him I'm buying it anyways. After a few days of constantly messing with it my roommate finally gave it a shot. He played around with it last night for two hours and said "I'm sorry man, this thing is actually pretty damn cool. I'm blown away." Those were his words exactly.

Reactions: randyist

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, today's Twitter reply from Logitech

"Logitech Revue devices will receive the automatic and free updated version of Google TV before the end of the year."

push back, push back, push back...

Maybe I didn't hear the "this summer" promise because I wasn't a Revue owner then. As for most recent dates, I don't recall there ever anything specific for the Revue. Didn't the time frame come straight from Google as something along the lines of Sony's getting it Sunday with Revue some weeks in the future. Seems to me that there hasn't been any change based on what's been said in the this thread.

Steve in CT

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people confuse Google's release date for software with the manufacturer's release date. It would be nice if the Revue was a "Nexus" of Google TV, but they've added a lot of their own stuff to interface with Harmony remotes and other extra features. This means that there will be a delay as Logitech modifies Google's code.

Even more annoying is people who confuse Internet rumor with release dates. You'd be surprised how often the Verizon release date for the Galaxy Nexus has been "pushed back" - there has never been any hint of an official release date for the phone so how can it be pushed back? What's pushed back are Internet rumor mongers who are mad that their guess was wrong.

I show releases for GTV on 2010-12-15, 2011-01-11, 2011-03-15, 2011-03-29, 2011-04-28, and 2011-06-27, it's not like the thing isn't being updated... Patience, grasshoppers, it's just a gadget!

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I love my Revue. I got it right after the price went to $99. What I think is funny are some of the reviews. They complain about the keyboard being so big and the track pad not being needed (See CNET) then when they review the Boxee, they said it needs a full size keyboard and a track pad (CNET once again).

One of the problems that many devices run into now-a-days is people taking out their asses. They never used the device, or only used it for 2 minutes at a display, but that does not stop them from posting trash about it.

While the Revue is not perfect, anyone to actually use it for any amount of time would like it. The most annoying thing I find about it is Chrome. It locks up while downloading ad bars and other crap. I hear the update fixes that issue though

That is so true. I bought mine when they were $300, but paid $179 because Dish network was offering it at a discount. I'm not even ashamed that I paid $179 for mine. These bogus reviews just show that the writers will make up things just to have "content" on their sites.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The Logitech Revue app was updated today on the Market, so maybe the big update will be coming soon. The update notes just say various bug fixes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol