Does anybody know of a remote desktop app for GoogleTV that doesn't require me to run sketchy VNC server software on my computer (Windows 7). I'm thinking of something along the lines of Splashtop Remote (which I currently use on my Transformer) that takes care of a lot of the technical details for me. I've never been able to successfully set up a VNC server.

I think it would be a great way to watch videos from my desktop that are in formats that won't play on GTV. It would also let me stream content from sites that block GTV like Hulu and Comedy Central.
    12-13-2011 02:30 PM
    I have yet to check if its available, but you can try Splashtop remote desktop I have it on my ipad and it is really good and easy to setup
    12-13-2011 03:28 PM
    I use Splashtop on my tablet as well. I asked if anybody knew of another way because Splashtop isn't available on GTV.
    12-13-2011 09:42 PM
    First up: I'd like to suggest the separation of your remote desktop app request from your watching of videos/premium content websites that are "hosted" by your Windows 7 computer.

On the first point, I totally agree with you about the shadiness of VNC. It can be insecure. If you are willing to spend money, I would recommend one of the commercial remote control software packages that supports browser-based remote desktop viewing or with an Android app (one that hopefully exists for Revue-type architectures).

If you are not in the mood to spend money on such, take a look at the following. I haven't played with either, but they look promising:
    1. Guacamole | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net : Project Guacamole
    2. Chrome Web Browser Adds Remote Desktop Software | Geekosystem : Google Chrome browser remote control

Watching videos or premium content: trying to watch such using remote viewing client software is not the best way to do this. The reason for this is that remote desktop servers work by compressing the video of your Windows display and streaming it to your remote viewing client. Actual video will by jumpy, at best, or not display at all on the client side. Just use something like TVersity Pro and configure it for the content that you want to stream.
    07-17-2012 01:59 PM