Plex Problems

karl1coleman

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried setting up Plex over the weekend. The server is running on a Windows 7 PC. I installed the client on the PC as well, and everything works fine, but then when I go to the Google TV app, almost all of the movies won't play, and most of the music won't play. I haven't read anything bad about Plex on GTV so for now I'm going under the assumption that there are possibly some encoding issues the Google TV app has that the PC app doesn't.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There's something strange going on for sure.

When we initially got the update, I downloaded the original Plex app on my GTV and tested things out. Things worked for the most part.

Then shortly after, a GTV version of Plex came out (only $.99 IIRC) and I downloaded that. After that point, I had serious problems with sound. I believe DTS audio is a major problem and I'm hoping they are working on it. I'm still using Boxee religiously and hoping they bring something to GTV instead.

I'm sorry I can't really help with your problem, but you are not alone.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I installed Plex on my laptop and on the GTV a few weeks ago. I have extensive music, photos and video libraries on my Laptop, and it took days for Plex to catalogue it all, and make the streams available for viewing or playing on the GTV, and it really didn't give me much indication of what was going on under the surface during that time. It does work, but I think the UI is very unintuitive and confusing.

Several days ago, someone on another forum put me on to the free Avia Android app, which can be installed on GTV, and other Android devices via Android Market. I now have it installed on the GTV, the Droid X, and on my ASUS Transformer. Setup was pretty easy, and obvious. The only point on the setup that had me confused initially was that I didn't understand I needed to go to My Sources and click on the device name area (not the adjacent checkbox) to see and play its contents. I had almost immediate gratification using this app vs. the confusion on Plex. I am easily able to view or stream media to GTV, from either of the Avia servers on my Android mobiles, or from my Synology server.

I can also push media from either mobile to play on GTV or on the other Android devices, and I can pull streams or copies of the actual files to either of my mobiles from any of the servers. I can't tell you which codecs are or are not supported, but so far, it's played everything I've tried. I'm considering uninstalling Plex at this point.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
what do you install on the windows pc to serve the content out to avia player?

I'm also having some issues with plex and would love an alternative.

thx!

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I had video plex problems on my roku. Used handbrake to reencode to mpeg4 and video plays fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma