Advice on going with Google TV

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit outdated on the whole TV thing. I think I have a 24" TV....the old boxy type.
I'm pretty fed up with my cable provider and think I could easily be satisfied with the likes of Amazon vod, netflix, and/or hulu plus, etc etc.
I've read about Roku, blue ray players and game consoles providing those interfaces but having those 'apps' plus google tv sounds better.
Is it? It seems to be waning???
In order to make the upgrade I need a new TV......so do I get one with the capabilities built in or go with a player? Should I forget about Google TV or do y'all like it over just a Roku type of experience?

My tv/movie needs are pretty simple but I do like tinkering with my rooted phone and android.
If you were in my position and about to upgrade what would you do? I'm also not in a particular hurry if the summer brings something promising.

TIA!

dmedesha

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
We like our Google TV, but use it in conjunction with cable. The refurbished boxes are pretty reasonably priiced - $60 -70 US dollars. We have stopped buying or renting DVDs, just doing the Netfix and Google Play (Market) movies, so that pretty much paid for the box in a month or two. All the Android apps are a plus, too.

Sounds like you should go for the TV first, though. You'll just be frustrated using small CRT and bunny-ears.

Good luck!

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. What are the refurbished boxes mentioned?
It would be nice to get one of those sony tvs but they are still pricey.
I really don't need anything bigger than 32" for the viewing distance in my living room.
For the sony tv those are few and far between it seems (new)/amazon
I did see the sony boxes are $200 right now when they were $400
Wouldn't it be more versatile to get the sony box and 32"HDTV and save some pennies?

misfit410

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My honest opinion, I love google tv, but what is on the market now is a beta feel for what's to come, if I were about to buy a TV, I'd buy the best TV I could get for my money while keeping $100 aside for a google TV setup box to add to it, I'd wait for the summer when we see Arm based units from Vizio, these will be far more compatible with general apps.

If you want a TV with it built in, same thing, wait for these Arm based varieties.. though my personal preference is the external device as it's something cheap I'm willing to swap out more often than I am a TV.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a feeling that was the case. It seems like the current stock of these devices is dwindling without replenishment so it leaves me wary. Do you have a link to any of these rumored devices. i guess I could go ahead and make a move toward getting a TV now. I'm all ears on suggestions there as well.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
GoogleTV was a HUGE waste for me. Even before Logitech abandoned it the family never used it because it is so awkward. Meanwhile my 4 year old Roku is used all the time and still supported.

Buy a GoogleTV if you are a single geek who likes to tinker instead of watching TV. Otherwise get a Roku or Boxes.

If you want to really geek out and get a free DVR then get a HTPC.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

TimTim70

Banned
Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The way Logitech dumped GoogleTV is unacceptable. I do not intend to invest in devices that lose support in a few months. AppleTV or Roku if you want support.