Airplay-type functionality?

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just ordered my Nexus 7 and together with my GSM Galaxy Nexus and Chromebook, I'm pretty much diving head first into the Google ecosystem. However, I have also had all three iterations of the iPad and I have an AppleTV. I really like being able to beam audio/video from the iPad to my Apple TV wirelessly. I don't know much about Google TV, but I'm wondering if there's any similar functionality, particularly for content NOT purchased via Google/Play Store and NOT YouTube.

As a side note, I have no intentions of buying a Nexus Q. I'd only be interested in Google TV solutions. Thanks!

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
A combination of:

- GTVBox Video Player Google TV - on your GTV box

- DoubleTwist with AirSync - on your phone

should do the trick.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
A combination of:

- GTVBox Video Player Google TV - on your GTV box

- DoubleTwist with AirSync - on your phone

should do the trick.

Hm...but this would only work with content that is actually /downloaded/ on your device right? I can't stream video content from Chrome can I?

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hm...but this would only work with content that is actually /downloaded/ on your device right? I can't stream video content from Chrome can I?

To share a Chrome tab that has video content, use the "Chrome to Phone" Extension. It's not as slick as Airplay, but you will at least be able to get the tab with video to open up on your Google TV.

To stream video content from an Android, use Able Remote.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
To share a Chrome tab that has video content, use the "Chrome to Phone" Extension. It's not as slick as Airplay, but you will at least be able to get the tab with video to open up on your Google TV.

To stream video content from an Android, use Able Remote.

How good is playback (especially flash) using Chrome on the Google TV? If the performance is not very smooth, I wonder if I'd be better off just getting a Chromebox.

Right now I'm struggling to figure out what the advantages of a Google TV over a Chromebox would be as someone who does not pay for any TV service. All I need is Netflix, Hulu, some network apps like NBC, podcasts, YouTube and very rarely video on demand (Google Play Movies/TV).

AndroidDawg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
How good is playback (especially flash) using Chrome on the Google TV? If the performance is not very smooth, I wonder if I'd be better off just getting a Chromebox.

Right now I'm struggling to figure out what the advantages of a Google TV over a Chromebox would be as someone who does not pay for any TV service. All I need is Netflix, Hulu, some network apps like NBC, podcasts, YouTube and very rarely video on demand (Google Play Movies/TV).

I am pretty much like you. I have an iPhone and MacBookPro while my wife has an iPad and MacBookAir. We love AppleTV

I want a tablet and will probably get the Nexus 7 and am thinking of adding Google TV as well but I still am unsure if Google TV is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton