09-04-2012 12:00 PM
64 123
tools
    Bah!, Mine was in my state yesterday (about 40 minutes from my home), at midnight they shipped it back out of my state, and then it arrived in my town at 0730 hours today with a note that says "Allow two more days for delivery". This is painful. Now I am positive that it will arrive DOA like others just because it is taking so long.
    You will probably get it today, when mine said allow two days I got it the next day....just broke. I do have to say that vizio tech support didn't give me a hassle. They gave me a ticket for return right away....hopefully it doesn't take two weeks to get it back
    08-22-2012 09:25 AM
    It's a piece of crap, don't get your hopes up like I did.
    08-22-2012 10:09 AM
    Mine "departed Fedex location" in California at 7:33 a.m. on Aug. 18. Here it is 11:00 a.m. on Aug. 22 in Indiana and I have no updates. Four days to get to Indiana, possibly longer? I hope that the turtle my costar is strapped onto the back of doesn't get any slower. And from what I've read I'm expecting it to be DOA. That'll teach me to order something that no one has had the chance to test.
    08-22-2012 10:09 AM
    It's a piece of crap, don't get your hopes up like I did.
    How so? Mine arrives today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    08-22-2012 10:35 AM
    You were right. Checked the mail and it was there in the box. Luckily I had warned the kids that others were broken and that it may not work. I set it up, get the Vizio "V" splash image, then nothing. If I do a reset I get a smaller "V" image with a progress bar for about two seconds then the bigger "V" again and then black screen again.
    Oddly noted that the TV then keeps distinguishing between different input levels, like 1080, 720, 480. Very disappoint, but thanks to your posts, not surprised.

I will be contacting Vizio to RMA it shortly I guess. Too bad since I have been looking forward to this device since January.
    08-22-2012 11:46 AM
    sucks, sorry to hear you had issues too, was hoping this was an isolated issue with mine....chalk it up to being on the cutting edge I guess
    08-22-2012 12:30 PM
    Seems like many are having issues with this box. It is so sad when they told me 1 month to ship to me and told me firmware in near future to fix audio issues I was pissed but better than 6 weeks to get a refund and I pay shipping.

I am hoping hackers get to this and mod it and make this thing useful. Oh well I hope so. I might try one of the android mini pc cause I think snesoid and nesoid will run on it so my daughter can play.
    08-22-2012 12:48 PM
    Yeah I'm with you, I'm returning my Vizio. I ordered the G-Box Android thing on Amazon yesterday. Hopefully it will fair better than this piece of junk Co-Star. Such a shame too, I waited for ever for this thing.
    08-22-2012 01:23 PM
    Tech Support was actually very good for me. A guy named Jacob had to go through the regular "Are you too stupid to plug it in" questions then came to the conclusion that it was DOA (go figure). I then had the two regular options of "Advanced Replacement" , IE, they take your CC number (With a $99.99 hold) and send you another, when it gets there, you use a shipping label they put in with it to ship the broken one back. OR They email you a shipping label, you send it back, and when they get it, they ship you another one.

I have done this before with Logitech and it seems to work well, so I chose the "Advanced Replacement" 8-11 days to get here.

Side Note: I asked if anyone else had these problems and he said that I was the first he dealt with and that he spoke to the CoStar guys who said that they had not seen this before. Not sure if they meant my specific problem, or just blow smoke about these DOA issues.
    08-22-2012 01:30 PM
    Yeah basically same issue with me, chose advance replacement
    08-22-2012 03:15 PM
    Tech Support was actually very good for me. A guy named Jacob had to go through the regular "Are you too stupid to plug it in" questions then came to the conclusion that it was DOA (go figure). I then had the two regular options of "Advanced Replacement" , IE, they take your CC number (With a $99.99 hold) and send you another, when it gets there, you use a shipping label they put in with it to ship the broken one back. OR They email you a shipping label, you send it back, and when they get it, they ship you another one.

I have done this before with Logitech and it seems to work well, so I chose the "Advanced Replacement" 8-11 days to get here.

Side Note: I asked if anyone else had these problems and he said that I was the first he dealt with and that he spoke to the CoStar guys who said that they had not seen this before. Not sure if they meant my specific problem, or just blow smoke about these DOA issues.
    Lucky you they said 8-11 business days which equates to at least 2-3 weeks. Also they said they had none in stock so it could be even longer depending on when they get more manufactured.

I have no problem doing a replacement plan but I have never had a someone tell me 2-3 weeks for a replacement just stupid. I will never buy from them only amazon which does returns much much faster or tiger direct.
    08-22-2012 04:13 PM
    Looks like I'll have mine tomorrow. Hope its not broken like so many are finding out. This was looking to be a awesome device so hopefully it gets better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-22-2012 08:40 PM
    Does anyone here have a unit that actually works and has been set up to comment on? Screenshots perhaps? At this point mine is arriving probably tomorrow but ive lost a lot of hope that its actually going to work.
    08-22-2012 09:07 PM
    Yeah mine works fine if no one else chimes in I'll try to get some screenshots and info in here tomorrow its too late to start tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-22-2012 10:04 PM
    Just got mine in today. Hooked it up, turned it on and got some garbled feedback picture then the dreaded no signal message. Unplugged and replugged same thing.

So I calmed myself and read the manual. Says there is a factory reset button at the bottom. So I pressed that for 10 seconds. Repowered on and it worked. Wiped brow and continued.

So I got as far as setting up my tivo remote and low and behold I cant control the tivo with the co star. It doesnt have the codes built in.

I read it can be done but you need the remote codes which arent listed in the manual.

Anyone here have a tivo and was able to get it to work?
    08-23-2012 10:09 AM
    Ok. I have mine hooked up and have been using it.

All in all I like it. It could really use more apps.

There is a tv app that brings you to websites that have shows, like crackle but having the actual crackle app would be much better. I watched a show on crackles website and the video was fantastic. Really clear and crisp but it crapped out a few minutes into it. GTV just needs a native app for crackle.

Netflix works great. Amazon Instant video brings you to the website but since they never made an app for it on any android device this is not shocking. Im much better off using the built in app in my vizio tv for that or the app on the Roku box.

Couldnt side load amazon app store. Just got an error. Ddnt try any other ones yet. Im going to work on a finding a slingbox apk and see if I can get that going.

If you really want to get your video watching money out of this you should buy the .99 cent Plex app. I run plex off my roku, tablets and phones so I already had the server set up. It streams the movies I have on my computer just fine. Havent tried them all out but since its streaming I would think all of them would work rather than playing from a usb stick and not having formats supported.

The interface is nice. Clean, simple, easy to navigate.

Web browsing is easy and looks good on my 42 inch HD tv. The remote makes it easy to type and move around.

One of my main reasons for getting this was hoping that slingbox had an app that would work. But they dont right now. Maybe in the future they will.

Having both a Roku and Co Star I guess id lean more towards Roku on pure video watching experience. Roku having a native crackle and amazon app (both which I use) tips it past the co star. I think future updates will sway me back to the co star. Im certainly glad I got it because I like having new gadgets and ill no doubt use it often.

I dont plan on using OnLive so thats not a factor for me in judging this unit.

Id be happy to answer any questions for the people still waiting or thinking about buying one.
    08-23-2012 11:48 AM
    One of my main reasons for getting this was hoping that slingbox had an app that would work. But they dont right now. Maybe in the future they will. .
    I agree with this, I was going to try and sideload the Vulkano App for the exact same reason when I get my replacement. I would be nice to have there.

I mentioned Here that I have chatted with tech support who said that they will pass on requests to the devs for apps for the device. So take that with a large grain of salt, but better than nothing.
    08-23-2012 03:48 PM
    I agree with this, I was going to try and sideload the Vulkano App for the exact same reason when I get my replacement. I would be nice to have there.

I mentioned Here that I have chatted with tech support who said that they will pass on requests to the devs for apps for the device. So take that with a large grain of salt, but better than nothing.
    I tried side loading an app via the usb but couldn't figure out how to access the usb stick. The co star pops up a notification saying its mounted but tgere is no where to access the contents. Tried es file explorer but it wouldn't show the usb files.

08-23-2012 05:08 PM
    Thought I'd have mine today. Said it left the FedEx that's 20 minutes from me 13 hours ago and no updates since then that it got to the USPS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    08-23-2012 07:19 PM

Im happy to say that hidden in the spotlight app, tv and movies section is a link to slingbox for the logitech revue. This works perfectly in connecting with my slingbox pro hd. Making this WELL worth the price. Plus its free to use.

Also another gem is a link to the hbo go web app. On roku im locked out by comcast but here im good to go. Ill use this a lot since i log in using my parents account in another state.

Ill Officially be ordering another unit because of these findings.

08-23-2012 11:51 PM
    Great to hear, hopefully the Vulkano app will be in there as well with the same results.

Glad HBO Go app is in there, how about the Xfinity Player?
    08-24-2012 12:15 AM
    I tried side loading an app via the usb but couldn't figure out how to access the usb stick.
    Install "File Expert" on your phone, you can use that to backup any app on your phone to your google drive. Then from your google drive you can download the apk's to your gtv......I know google drive also is not available.

Backup your google drive apk as well and access google drive via the chrome browser. after that you can access your apk's with the google drive app.
    08-24-2012 12:19 AM
    Install "File Expert" on your phone, you can use that to backup any app on your phone to your google drive. Then from your google drive you can download the apk's to your gtv......I know google drive also is not available.

Backup your google drive apk as well and access google drive via the chrome browser. after that you can access your apk's with the google drive app.
    Ill try that. Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    08-24-2012 12:41 AM
    Great to hear, hopefully the Vulkano app will be in there as well with the same results.

Glad HBO Go app is in there, how about the Xfinity Player?
    Its not the hbo app just an optimized for gtv web link. Still works well though. No xfinity player but do they have a web link to stream on a browser?

08-24-2012 12:43 AM

So i tried and got as far as uploading it all to google drive. When i download the files it downloads some named bin file instead of the API

Any advice?

08-24-2012 06:44 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD