Who plans on getting google tv?

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been ready a lot of articles on Google TV and its actually making me want to get it. Does anyone have have the same feeling? Hopefully the price-point will just be right to snatch one up. See ya later Apple TV.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping to get one, but I have to figure out how to make it work on my system. Since I don't have cable or satellite, the Logitech Revue becomes a problem. See details here:
Why Google TV May Not Work for You | SimplyGoogleTV

Ahhh, yeah, that might pose a problem for some people in that situation. What would be nice is the ability to subscribe to shows or even channels. I know I probably watch maybe 6 channels out of the 2394756423 channels that I have. It probably will never happen like that but we could wish couldnt we?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
meh. Build a $300 HTPC (go to avsforum.com to learn how).

All of the features of GTV, but the control is in your hands, and no one is collecting data on you to resell.

After cutting the cable cord and building a home theater PC, I see no advantage to a Google TV.

simplygoogletv

Jul 13, 2010
simplygoogletv.com
meh. Build a $300 HTPC (go to avsforum.com to learn how).

All of the features of GTV, but the control is in your hands, and no one is collecting data on you to resell.

After cutting the cable cord and building a home theater PC, I see no advantage to a Google TV.

For tech-savy geeks that enjoy maintaining an HTPC (I used to) you are probably right. Google TV brings most of the same benefits to the rest.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, yeah, that might pose a problem for some people in that situation. What would be nice is the ability to subscribe to shows or even channels. I know I probably watch maybe 6 channels out of the 2394756423 channels that I have. It probably will never happen like that but we could wish couldnt we?

What would you expect to happen when you subscribe to a show/series/channel?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping to get one, but I have to figure out how to make it work on my system. Since I don't have cable or satellite, the Logitech Revue becomes a problem

But you do have internet connection right?

Hopefully people will report here soon how useful it is without a TV service (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Amazon, etc).

nerdninja

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
When I was at Best Buy last night they had them and the Sony in stock. They weren't out, they had to go in back and find one for me, but they weren't restricted from selling them yet. I cancelled my Logitech order from Amazon and grabbed the Sony

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I totally wish I could get the Google TV. But I have two working, albeit very old (seriously, one's at least 15 years old) hand me down TVs. Plus I'm a full time student with a loan barely big enough to survive. But trust me, I want one.

soundwave809

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the Logitech Revue from Best Buy today should be in by next tues. I think it will be a nice integration into my home media center. Being a Google product based off of an Android platform you know that it will be pretty solid with many updates down the road. The Apps will be a big addition when the full market opens in 2011. It is a little pricey but think what you pay for an android phone and the new android tablets coming out. Google TV is more like a desktop computer than a portable tablet with android and TV integration.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I totally wish I could get the Google TV. But I have two working, albeit very old (seriously, one's at least 15 years old) hand me down TVs. Plus I'm a full time student with a loan barely big enough to survive. But trust me, I want one.

Investing in your future and being fiscally responsible looks to me as a wise choice.

With a good career you will be able to buy all the gadgets you will want ;-)

supchaka

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Im typing this from mine right now while I have goonies playing in the PIP. Its pretty nice, not gonna lie, and its android, how could i not think its cool! The youtube lean back feature is kinda nice. Ive only been playing with it for about 15 minutes now, but the fuller keyboard was much more enticing than that little thing the sony has.

Make sure you have HDMI out on your set top box, and either HDMI or optical audio in on your AV device as well as HDMI in on the TV. Those 3 things and you're set. It was able to setup and control my fios box, the sony reciever and vizio TV.

Drop the 300 bones and take the plunge!