Google TV "Requirements"??

Eurotrash

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Why do the "requirements" state that you have to have a cable or satellite box with HDMI out? What if you don't have cable or satellite and just want to do pure IPTV ? This doesn't make any sense? are they just stating this to clarify that if you did have cable or satellite that the box would have to have "HDMI" out? If that is the case they are only confusing people. YOU Can do just IPTV with this correct?:mad:

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, what you said makes sense. I'd imagine you could use the box by itself, and they put that requirement in there if you have cable/satellite

maddog2727

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what I would like to know. This would be a fail if I need a set top box. If I need a set top box for this, I'll just get a boxee box.

Eurotrash

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. The whole reason people want to do IPTV is because they are sick of paying for Cable and Bandwidth. If you "HAD" to have cable that would make the whole point patently stupid.... I'm still considering the boxee Box at this point. Its a little pricey and why haven't they hammered out a deal with HULU yet?

simplygoogletv

Jul 13, 2010
simplygoogletv.com
You have to have some form of set-top box if you want to have TV content. The Revue doesn't have a tuner, so it can't get channels from your antenna without another device that can feed it via HDMI to the Revue. I just ordered a Revue and I'm in the process of deciding what other device I'll need to get a TV signal. A TiVo is one option, their are others that I'm researching and will post about as well...

NickN

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. The whole reason people want to do IPTV is because they are sick of paying for Cable and Bandwidth. If you "HAD" to have cable that would make the whole point patently stupid.... I'm still considering the boxee Box at this point. Its a little pricey and why haven't they hammered out a deal with HULU yet?

The Sony blu-ray box can run without an attached cable box. The integration with a cable box seems most useful when you are searching for something as the search returns web video and cable shows that match your search. If you have a DISH DVR, I gather the integration is even more slick and search includes shows you recorded already.

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody explain why the boxee box is better than the boxee software?
It's not, and actually it may not even have Netflix support. The problem right now is that the Linux version of Boxee (the one that will be on the Boxee box) doesn't do Netflix (because Silverlight is for Mac and PC). There is an open-source version of Silverlight called Moonlight that has Microsoft's involvement, and hopefully they'll get it working.

But Boxee has been pretty silent on the subject and neither them nor D-link promote Netflix on the site or elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles