10-25-2010 07:58 PM
31 12
tools
    I bought my revue yesterday, have to say I'm not really impressed, its kind of slow and as soon as you turn it on there's a huge update that takes like an hour. There are very few apps installed at this point and netflix interface stinks. Im using wireless n internet and comcast high speed broadband and it won't even stream a youtube video without 50 stops for buffering. I know it has a lot of growing to do but come on. it does control my tv and cable box nicely. I beleive its a good start but not worth the $300. If this thing was $99 it might be worth the issues
    10-21-2010 07:33 AM
    I got mine yesterday from Best Buy and I feel the same way. I have Comcast and am connected by ethernet and tried to stream some videos of the Office last night. Stops and starts enough to be annoying. Also I could not get anything from CBS to stream. I have Netflicks and You Tube and some others through the TV already, so I guess it is going back.
    10-21-2010 07:39 AM
    I knew it was a good idea to skip the logitech box and go withthe sony one.

I have the sony blu-ray googletv box and i get no skips or anything. I think its just as fast or faster then my pc's at accessing youtube.

The update on my sony googletv took only 5 min .
    10-21-2010 11:44 AM
    Mine shipped today, so it will be interesting to see how things work. Youtube always has issues anyway. I have a 60mb/10mb connection, and Youtube can still be a pain.

I will post my findings when it arrives.
    10-21-2010 03:31 PM
    Just wanted to update, I moved the revue from the back of my tv to the front on top of my cable box, working much better with regards to the streaming, must have been the tv blocking the wifi, even noticed its surfs the web faster, tv was between revue and router, line of site as well as 1 wall. going to hang on to this thing a bit longer, also loving the remote app on my evo
    10-21-2010 06:24 PM
    Glad to hear it's working better! I get mine tomorrow, can't wait to run it through it's paces.
    10-21-2010 08:41 PM
    I just got my Logitech Revue yesterday and it's working great. The integration with Comcast was easy and seamless. I'm really enjoying it. Here's my setup video from beginning to end:

Phil Nickinson likes this.
    10-22-2010 12:14 PM
    Hey Michael,

Thanks for your great setup-walkthrough video. Three questions remain: Was the Revue accessing your recorded shows on the DVR (I understood this would only work with Dish)?

Have you tried the Android App for you phone?

Did you see Comcast box model DCH3416 in the setup list (I was looking but didn't see it)?

Do a part II when you get more into it. I'd like to see the Gallery accessing Picasa and Hulu with the Engadget fix.

TJH
    10-22-2010 03:08 PM
    Michael's video's rocked! Huge help. Here are my (very) initial thoughts:

• Gotta get my audio setup figured out. My amp doesn't have HDMI, and I'm not sure if the cable box is pumping video *and* audio to the Revue. Probably a setting somewhere?
    • Otherwise, setup wasn't bad at all. A little longish, but not an hour like some people have said. I'm using a wired connection. No problems there at all.
    • The browser is just OK. Not as fast as I'd hoped. Maybe my expectations were too high?
    • Not sure how intuitive the menus are going to be. I can maneuver my way through, but I'm used to weirdness. Will my wife be willing to put up with it?
    • It's a VERY weird feeling seeing familiar Android cues on a huge screen.
    • Gonna throw this out there: It's Android-based, right? And it's not your usual Android UI. So I'm growing less worried about Google having a plan for tablets.

That's it for now. Gotta get this audio thing figured out.

Edit: And ... Figured out the audio thing. It was a setting on my cable box to get it pumped out via HDMI. But now I think I may be losing a little bit of video quality? (Note: Added this update via the Revue. )
    10-22-2010 04:13 PM
    For you guys that bought this or the Sony, what role do you see it playing in your life? I usually surf the net on my phone or ipad while I'm watching tv. I've got a ps3 that streams netflix, so I don't really see where this fits into a electronics/entertainment ecosystem. Not trolling, but really trying to find out how you guys plan to use it and what it's going to replace or augment in your current electronics lineup.
    10-22-2010 04:36 PM
    i get mine on monday, on the picture in picture can you swap web/tv? and sizes and positions?
    10-22-2010 05:41 PM
    I really want to get the logitech. But I am unsure about a few things. 1. will it work with my Verizon FIOS Motorala HD DVR? I know that Dish Network has full intergration but when I search for a show for instance and it comes up with the date and time what happens when I click on that? Will it automatically open up my DVR schedule menu? Or will nothing happen and I will just have to manually go into my DVR menu and search for shows that way? Also I really want this so I can get rid of my 7 year old pronto remote and use my droid x to control everything! But say I want to search for a show can I use the keyboard provided in the harmony app from the market to search in my DVR MENU? not the regular google search i know that will work. I think more cable companies need to update their STBs to play nice with the whole google tv platform if they want this to really take off? Any info would be great thanks!
    10-22-2010 05:44 PM
    It cannot search the cable DVR. I do, however, have access via the DVR button on the keyboard. The keyboard, essentially, is a Harmony remote with keyboard. Very nice.
    10-22-2010 06:01 PM
    I've tried to do that, but haven't been able to. TV is small in the bottom right hand corner while other activity is larger.
    10-22-2010 06:02 PM
    People go take some cisco networking classes and learn that just because you have a highspeed downlink doesnt mean that certain traffic is not prioritized which will make it look like your device is slow. im on it right now and its blazing with low latency and streams instantly with a 7Mbit down link from timewarner. plus not all n routers are equal but the linksys E3000 is great
    10-22-2010 06:11 PM
    Thirty minutes here. Had issues with my router. Cisco helped there. Lol. Post more in a bit. Time for a beer.
    10-22-2010 06:27 PM
    It cannot search the cable DVR. I do, however, have access via the DVR button on the keyboard. The keyboard, essentially, is a Harmony remote with keyboard. Very nice.
    ok so when I am in my DVR menu you can use the keyboard to search for a show instead of hunting pecking with the stupid up down left right on the stb remote? please say yes! haha
    10-22-2010 06:35 PM
    From what i've read/understand the dish network dvr's are the only dvr's with full integration. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Also i think i read about a small fee from dish if u use it?????????????
    10-22-2010 06:56 PM
    From what i've read/understand the dish network dvr's are the only dvr's with full integration. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Also i think i read about a small fee from dish if u use it?????????????
    I have read that too. Dish network can take full advantage of all the revue offers. I have also heard there is a 4.99 charge to have this intergration from dish. I was really excited for the logitech revue the more I see everyones impressions the more I feel like its a fail....
    10-22-2010 07:01 PM
    Have to say I am impressed. I was stumped when I figured out that I didn't know what I was wanting to watch. LOL
    10-22-2010 07:37 PM
    >> Gotta get my audio setup figured out. My amp doesn't have HDMI, and I'm not sure if the cable box is pumping video *and* audio to the Revue. Probably a setting somewhere?

You can also use optical between the GTV and your amp. That is, setup to GTV HDMI, GTV to amp optical, GTV to TV HDMI.
    10-22-2010 08:29 PM
    So it runs 2.1 update 1. Wonder if they will update to gingerbread. Maybe that is what was holding up the release? Even though the big guy just showed up today?
    10-22-2010 09:23 PM
    After getting everything setup, which was really simple, the setup could not have been easier. I have Verizon cable and internet with a wireless n router and it is very fast browsing, steaming you tube is flawless and streaming netflix videos is way better than on my wii. The netflix app is ok, needs ability to browse more than just your instant queue. Getting around the interface is pretty intuitive. I would say I figured out how to do 90% of the functions within the first 30 min of using it. I was surprised that there was a Twitter app but not facebook. Needs that. The leanback with youtube is fantastic. The Logitech keyboard is much better than the Sony remote imho and I love the Android app. From an overall view of the Google TV format I really like it. I typically surf the web etc. on my phone while I watch tv, but this really integrates everything into one user experience which I really like. No more missing the big play cuz you were updating your facebook, lol. I would like to be able to drag the picture in picture box around on the screen because it sometimes interferes with the controls behind it. If you think about the future of having the market on this you really see how this is going to change everything, just think about downloading games and playing them with your phone as the game controller. I love the way you can just sit on your couch after a long day, grab the keyboard and have everything you want at your fingertips and on a huge screen(once the market gets on there anyways).
    10-23-2010 01:55 PM
    Can you search content on home network i.e. music, movies, etc.. I am trying to decide between revue and roku. I know roku you can set up a 'channel' for network content..
    10-24-2010 06:30 PM
    Yes. You can search your home network as long as your router is set up properly, and the other devices are on. Its not as integrated as the web/program search is, more like browsing
    10-24-2010 10:45 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD