Sharing Sony TV's wireless network connection with Dish DVR via Ethernet?

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
I bought a 40" Sony Google TV for the bedroom, and now we're going to have to order a second Dish Network receiver (primary one is in the living room).

I have a setup question... from looking at the Dish Network site, it looks like you can connect the Logitech Revue to the Dish receiver via Ethernet (in addition to HDMI) to share the wireless internet connection from the Review to the receiver. See this article for more info.
My question is: does this type of connection also work for the Sony Google TVs?

Since the DVRs don't have built-in wireless, I'd love it if the Sony Google TV can also share its internet connection with the receiver.

Thanks for any help!

Pokewithstick

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I didn't use any of the Dish DVR features that require it, but when I connected the Ethernet cable from the DVR to my Sony TV, the DVR did get a connection through it and the network settings showed it on my network.

Reactions: elbaso

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think that it should work with the TV as well. It has both WiFi and Ethernet. GTV can act as a router providing internet access on the Ethernet segment via the WiFi (assuming that you have at home a WiFi router connected to the internet).

simplygoogletv

Jul 13, 2010
simplygoogletv.com
I bought a 40" Sony Google TV for the bedroom, and now we're going to have to order a second Dish Network receiver (primary one is in the living room).

I have a setup question... from looking at the Dish Network site, it looks like you can connect the Logitech Revue to the Dish receiver via Ethernet (in addition to HDMI) to share the wireless internet connection from the Review to the receiver. See this article for more info.
My question is: does this type of connection also work for the Sony Google TVs?

Since the DVRs don't have built-in wireless, I'd love it if the Sony Google TV can also share its internet connection with the receiver.

Thanks for any help!

If you are looking to have a Logitech Revue and a Dish DVR on the same setup, then the DVR will be connected via ethernet, and the Revue can either be connected via wireless, or through ANOTHER ethernet cable, so two ethernet connections would be required. Though Dish says the preferred Revue connection is wireless, I believe that is incorrect, a wired connection is always better from a performance and support aspect. If you are connecting the Dish DVR to a Sony TV, then the same applies.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the TV DOES indeed share it's connection via ethernet. Currently I have the 40" Sony Google TV and it is connected to my wireless network. To test this idea out, I connected my Xbox 360 to the tv via ethernet and I am able to get a connection to Xbox Live. I do believe the speed is very degraded but it might be b/c I have a lot of other things going on in my network.

I don't have a DirecTV box yet to confirm the original question, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Reactions: elbaso

vichek

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sharing Sony TV's wireless network connection with Dish DVR v

Is there a way (maybe an app) that reverses this process and shares your ethernet web connection over wifi? Something like Connectify for GTV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2