Logitech V. Sony

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I am currently weighing my options between the Logitech Revue and the Sony Blu-Ray GTV boxes. So I bring these questions to you, the Android Pros. What has your real world experience been like with these two sets.

I am curious in the following fields:

Integration with your home theatre system-How well do you think the GTV of your choice has integrated with your system? Type of system, what works well, what doesn't work so well, and what absolutely blows.

Ease of the set up-How easy was it to set up? Now I know most say the set up is easy and fairly painless, but what I am curious about is if you did have issues what were they, and how well did customer support respond to your issues.

Google Functionality-How well did Google and the manufacturer do in the "seamless" integration with your TV functions, internet functions, and app functions.

Cost V. Features-Do you feel that you received what you paid for? Now with this one, we must remember that it does have an early adaptor fee, and it is a first gen device. So I guess another way to put it would be, "Do you feel it has the potential to be what you paid for?".

Overall Experience-What has your overall experience been with the device of your choice? Good, Bad, or Ugly I would like to know.

I know that there are a lot of posts with these answers, but I am lazy and wanted to try to get a lot of the answers I am looking for into one thread.
Thanks for looking and thank you for any help.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had both and I would recommend the Revue simply because it is cheaper. If you don't have a dvd player or blu ray and looking for one then get the Sony. But if you got a good dvd player and not interested in blu ray get the Logitech. No need in spending 100 more for a device that does the exact same thing. The Sony keypad is not bad but it's not very intuitive and may not work with all your equipment. This is where logitech wins, easily. On the sony, some of the functions are hard to find and there's nothing to tell you where they are. I probably spent a couple hours just trying to figure out my DVR box commands. Logitech, you just know and it's pretty clear. Logitech has been having frame rate problems though. For me this is not an issue because my TV is only 720P. Those with 1080P will most likely experience some frame rate issues until a fix is released for it. The only way to get around it is to change your tv to 720 permanently or change to 720 when the issue comes up and then back to 1080p. If you have 1080p you will want to wait until they fix this.

In my opinion, both devices are vastly overpriced for what they do right now. Lacking some things that just do not make them worth 300 and 400. I will admit for my living room, it will add a lot of convenience because it will suit my needs. But I'm getting the Revue from Dish for 179 which is a good price. If I could get the Sony for the same price, I'd still go with Logitech because of the harmony technology that works so well with my components. I think in a couple months 300 will be a good price but not now. But if you absolutely had to get one, make it the Logitech. I'm also getting the mini controller so I won't have to deal with the full keyboard and that puts me 10 bucks more that just the Revue alone from a place other than dish.

Reactions: dkoss

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I am currently weighing my options between the Logitech Revue and the Sony Blu-Ray GTV boxes. So I bring these questions to you, the Android Pros. What has your real world experience been like with these two sets.

I am curious in the following fields:

Integration with your home theatre system-How well do you think the GTV of your choice has integrated with your system? Type of system, what works well, what doesn't work so well, and what absolutely blows.

Ease of the set up-How easy was it to set up? Now I know most say the set up is easy and fairly painless, but what I am curious about is if you did have issues what were they, and how well did customer support respond to your issues.

Google Functionality-How well did Google and the manufacturer do in the "seamless" integration with your TV functions, internet functions, and app functions.

Cost V. Features-Do you feel that you received what you paid for? Now with this one, we must remember that it does have an early adaptor fee, and it is a first gen device. So I guess another way to put it would be, "Do you feel it has the potential to be what you paid for?".

Overall Experience-What has your overall experience been with the device of your choice? Good, Bad, or Ugly I would like to know.

I know that there are a lot of posts with these answers, but I am lazy and wanted to try to get a lot of the answers I am looking for into one thread.
Thanks for looking and thank you for any help.

Integration: While the Sony is searching for generic IR codes the Logitech is dipping into the Harmony database and pulling out the specific functions for your specific device. In addition, the harmony can have custom programmed keys were the sony cannot. The sony handles volume on two devices better by implementing a simple toggle- Logitech requires custom commands for the second device ie letter FN+ "A"= vol up and "Z" zol down. The logitech controls your tv, cable box and tv only- and can do so with fairly deep customization/integration. The sony can control the same but with much shallower integration. But with the bluray built in it technically has another device under its belt. The logitech cannot control a DVD player which is rediculous. The android app for the logitech is okay-

Setup: Easy and very similar on both devices. If you have any gadget geek blood running through your veins you will have no issues.

Google Integration: Work in progress but very impressive overall. I do not like how I can only see "what is on now" via the google interface. "Searching" TV will show some future programs but I cannot see a guide-which would be fine if they had some other better replacement but they dont. Scanning what is on in a few hours accross many channels requires you to use your cable guide.

From a 10,000 ft perspective it would be very difficult to go back to a HTPC on a seperate input at this point. Last night we were in front of the TV wondering what to order for dinner and GTV allowed me to toss the Heat/Magic game into the bottom right corner and pull the restaraunts menu up within 15-30 seconds. FAST!

Value: There is nothing else out that allows you to integrate with your cable TV and essentially layer a web browser on top/in it for anywhere near its price. But at the same time if cable integration is not important than there are better values out there.

Experience: Things are looking up. I had the revue, also picked up the Sony and am probably going to return the Sony and pick up an Apple TV while keeping the revue as well. This will allow me to sell my Mac Mini and wash.

The content blocking was very frusterating but a user on the Logitech forums suggested playon.tv server. I downloaded the 12 day trial to my PC and and have been watching "blocked" content all night. Hulu, CBS, ESPN, etc. This basically streams the blocked content from your PC which is authorized to your GTV. Picture quality is good enough.

I always saw the content blocking as temporary and to pay $39 for a year of playon is a reasonable bridge until the hackers/apps find a permenant solution.

The reason for apple tv is music and I am kind of nuts on this stuff-very picky with high standards so most might be able to get away with using the built in media players. Apple TV will be dedicated as a music streamer and controller via iTouch. I will say tha tthe Sony media player seems vastly superior to the Logitechs but I have less than 2 hrs invested in both.

Keep in mind-as posted above-that the Logitech has a frame rate issue with a fix pending. I suggest going to the logitech forums and reading the entire thread to get a grasp on it. On the other hand the Sony is currently only outputting 2.0 PCM sound via HDMI input- i.e. cable box. So if you have the Sony and are watching a movie on HBO you are getting stereo sound even if the program has 5.1. Fix pending for this as well.

The bluray player built into the Sony seems to be pretty good but new blurays are $35 which is bordering insane. I have gotten hi def bitstream audio from the bluray player.

Reactions: dkoss

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Another aspect that i did not mention is the remotes. I prefer the sony. Logitech should have bundled the mini keyboard instead of the full keyboard. Lying down on the coach with the logitech is really nerdy. The sony is nice- I dont understand the criticism it has received.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkoss and GMoney749

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your insight into the Revue and Sony boxes. I'm actually leaning towards the Logitech, because I too have Dish and the price is right, besides I have a dvd and blu-ray player.

I have been checking into the Logitech forums about the frame rate issue, and thanks for the advice.

I'll post and let everyone know how it goes. Once again, a big "THANK YOU" to the folks that took some time out to post.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your insight into the Revue and Sony boxes. I'm actually leaning towards the Logitech, because I too have Dish and the price is right, besides I have a dvd and blu-ray player.

I have been checking into the Logitech forums about the frame rate issue, and thanks for the advice.

I'll post and let everyone know how it goes. Once again, a big "THANK YOU" to the folks that took some time out to post.

Yeah if you already have a blu ray player there's no need in getting the Sony especially if you have Dish and will get it for 179. I did that and I got the mini controller all for 310. The mini controller kills the Sony one. Sony's just isn't intuitive ENOUGH and you can't program it. You can easily map keys on either of the logitech device and you should have no problems setting it up with all your devices. This is where Sony is behind. As I stated before, if you don't have a blu ray and/or looking to upgrade your current DVD player AND you aren't a Dish customer, then Sony is a no brainer. Otherwise, you're just throwing away money just because it's made by Sony.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah if you already have a blu ray player there's no need in getting the Sony especially if you have Dish and will get it for 179. I did that and I got the mini controller all for 310. The mini controller kills the Sony one. Sony's just isn't intuitive ENOUGH and you can't program it. You can easily map keys on either of the logitech device and you should have no problems setting it up with all your devices. This is where Sony is behind. As I stated before, if you don't have a blu ray and/or looking to upgrade your current DVD player AND you aren't a Dish customer, then Sony is a no brainer. Otherwise, you're just throwing away money just because it's made by Sony.

That's pretty much where I am standing right now with it. I just didn't know if there was going be something mind blowing that I would miss with the Sony. Went to Best Buy just to play with both a little bit and came away completely satisfied with getting the Logitech. I already have a Harmony remote that I use to control my HT with, the only low point for the Logitech is that it only controls TV, tuner, amp, and does not have RF built into the broadcasting of the Revue, but I feel with a few work arounds and some tweaks of my system I can get it to work in a way that I will be satisfied with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo