Not Searching all TV listings and Channels

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I have Verizon Fios. If I search for "Seinfeld" it shows it tonight at 10pm on a certain channel. However, I know for a fact it is on before that multiple times on multiple channels. My whole hope with the search function was to show me all instances that a show will be on, on any given day. It unfortunately only shows one listing 5 hours from now, rather than the 4 other times it comes on before that 11pm time slot. Any ideas, or tips?

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This is alarming. I haven't had enough experience with GTV and DirecTV, but I'm going to test this later this weekend and respond.

Out of curiosity, what channels was it leaving out of the search? Did you try it on any other show that would have showings at different times and channels?

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've confirmed this. I searched "NFL" this morning and got 2 results of TV listings. The results did not include ESPN which had NFL Sunday Morning Countdown. I'm guessing there might have been others as well.

This was on DirecTV.

Anyone have any ideas?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Here are few suggestions that may help (sorry for the long post).

In general, Google TV seems to prefer shows that are playing now or are closer in the future but this is not the only criteria. If you get in the quick search list result for a program airing but think that another one should be displayed instead try this:

1. Determine if GTV knows about the channel of the desired result. There is a list in Setting | Video Input | provider name | Edit channel list. Locate the channel and make sure it is checked.

2. Determine if GTV knows about the desired program on that channel. You can add for example the channel call sign (from the channel list) to the search query (e.g. Seinfeld CNNHD) or wait for the time the program is aired and search for the channel call sign. This will show the current program on that channel.

If GTV knows about the channel and knows about the program but preferred to show another result I guess that it just a matter of Google search heuristic which need to pick the top one or two shows to display in the pull down result list.

In this case you can refine the search such as NFL ESPN if you have special interest in ESPN.

If your search matches a series result (e.g. Seinfeld), the search result list will include a result that says 'series' on the right hand. Click on it and it will take you to a detailed search result page for that series. Hopefully you will be able to find the episode your are looking for.

Please post here your findings and any insight you have.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this as well this weekend. I searched "football" Saturday at noon and only got 1 hit and then searched again for "college" and got several hits. Of course every hit had both "college" and "football" in the listing.

This needs to be fixed.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this as well this weekend. I searched "football" Saturday at noon and only got 1 hit and then searched again for "college" and got several hits. Of course every hit had both "college" and "football" in the listing.

This needs to be fixed.

Try this, search for 'football' and select the result "Search TV and web video.. for 'football'". This will take you to the search result page. Scroll down to the Episode section. This is a list that you can scroll horizontally to see more football related shows (I can see 30 results, many of them are College Football).

Is this is what you are looking for?

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Try this, search for 'football' and select the result "Search TV and web video.. for 'football'". This will take you to the search result page. Scroll down to the Episode section. This is a list that you can scroll horizontally to see more football related shows (I can see 30 results, many of them are College Football).

Is this is what you are looking for?

No, but thanks. The search results are off for some reason.

bibeaud

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Determine if GTV knows about the channel of the desired result. There is a list in Setting | Video Input | provider name | Edit channel list. Locate the channel and make sure it is checked.

I tried this and google tv only recognized up to channel 100 on my cable box. The movie channels are in the 200s, HD channels in the 500 and 600s, pay sports are in the 400s. Therefore only SD TV Channels seem to be recognized.

Is there a way to manually add stations that are not listed?

Thanks in advance!
David

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Yup

Go to Settings>Video Input>Configured Devices>Select the Input you're using with you STB>Edit Channel List

From here, check everything that applies.

If you do not see all the channels you have available, select "Edit Channel Lineup" and be sure to select the correct provider.

What service are you using with this?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried this and google tv only recognized up to channel 100 on my cable box. The movie channels are in the 200s, HD channels in the 500 and 600s, pay sports are in the 400s. Therefore only SD TV Channels seem to be recognized.

Is there a way to manually add stations that are not listed?

Thanks in advance!
David

1. Is your "Enabled Access to HD Channels" check box enabled? It is under Settings | Video Input | Edit Configured Devices | HD channels

2. What is your channel lineup code? It is under Settings | Video Input | Edit Configured Devices | (scroll to the bottom, it is displayed below the Edit Channel Lineup title).

K.

bibeaud

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Is your "Enabled Access to HD Channels" check box enabled? It is under Settings | Video Input | Edit Configured Devices | HD channels

2. What is your channel lineup code? It is under Settings | Video Input | Edit Configured Devices | (scroll to the bottom, it is displayed below the Edit Channel Lineup title).

K.

Yes - I just verified that the HD Channels are enabled. I even disabled it followed by reenabling it. No change. Can not access channels greater than 100.
My cable box is Service Electric Cable out of Allentown PA. I have the New Jersey feed (Hunterdon). NJ60642 was the number displayed at the bottom.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My cable box is Service Electric Cable out of Allentown PA. I have the New Jersey feed (Hunterdon). NJ60642 was the number displayed at the bottom.

When you select your cable lineup, did you have multiple choices for Service Electric Cable lineups? If so, try to pick another and see if you it ends up with lineup id NJ60642.X and the channels you want.

You can initiate the lineup selection by Settings | Video | Edit Configured Devices | Edit Channel Lineup. If you want to change your zipcode scroll to the bottom of the provider list.

The lineup may be listed "Service Electric Cable TV Hunterdon - Digital - Milford" or something like that, depending on your zipcode.

K.

bibeaud

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replying. No other Service Electric cable boxes were available to select. I did not try entering a different zip code or selecting a different cable company.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replying. No other Service Electric cable boxes were available to select. I did not try entering a different zip code or selecting a different cable company.

Selecting a different cable company will probably not work.

This will get you to lineup NJ60642.X
----
zip code -> 08848
Provider -> Service Electric Cable TV
Have channel 49 -> No
Have channel 95 -> No
Have CNN -> Yes
Have HBO -> Yes

This will get you to lineup NJ29437.X
----
zip code -> 08848
Have channel 49 -> Yes (Educational Access)
Have channel 100 -> Yes (Golf)
Have CNN -> Yes
Have HBO -> Yes

After once of these lineups get selected, you can go and edit the channel list to remove the ones you are not subscribed to.

I tried it on my Sony box.

Reactions: bibeaud

bibeaud

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Selecting a different cable company will probably not work.

This will get you to lineup NJ60642.X
----
zip code -> 08848
Have channel 49 -> No
Have channel 95 -> No
Have CNN -> Yes
Have HBO -> Yes

This will get you to lineup NJ29437.X
----
zip code -> 08848
Have channel 49 -> Yes (Educational Access)
Have channel 100 -> Yes (Golf)
Have CNN -> Yes
Have HBO -> Yes

After once of these lineups get selected, you can go and edit the channel list to remove the ones you are not subscribed to.

I tried it on my Sony box.

Zip code 08848 worked. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to ask how you found this?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am glad to hear that it helped.

There is nothing special about 08848 except that it is in the vicinity (since you did not mention your actual zipcode).

It is very likely that if you will use your real zipcode, you will be able to get to a good lineup (even the same one) if you will answer the channel setup questions 'correctly'.

GTV Daniel

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
No, but thanks. The search results are off for some reason.

Hi all,

Bumping this thread. I'm a member of the Google TV team-- we're working to diagnose the issue the first few posters mentioned, and I wanted to clarify what's going on.

Per kamtsa's post, I wanted to make sure everyone's aware that the results that appear instantly under the search bar are not meant to be exhaustive-- you need to click on "Search TV and web video" to get full results.

After manually adding channels and checking the full search results, are certain shows still not showing up? If so, please post again on this thread or send me a PM with a specific search failure. The more detail you can provide, including the specific steps you took, your cable provider, your channel lineup, etc., the better!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel
GTV Team

Reactions: robber

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Bumping this thread. I'm a member of the Google TV team-- we're working to diagnose the issue the first few posters mentioned, and I wanted to clarify what's going on.

Per kamtsa's post, I wanted to make sure everyone's aware that the results that appear instantly under the search bar are not meant to be exhaustive-- you need to click on "Search TV and web video" to get full results.

After manually adding channels and checking the full search results, are certain shows still not showing up? If so, please post again on this thread or send me a PM with a specific search failure. The more detail you can provide, including the specific steps you took, your cable provider, your channel lineup, etc., the better!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel
GTV Team

Great to see you here, thanks.

I did not know that. Thanks

Suggestion;

Whatever generates those instant results should be tweaked. The Patriots were playing last Sunday in the 8:15pm game and I searched "Patriots" a little after 8pm and did not see the game in the instant results.

The instant results are really what makes the device far better than a cable box guide. If I have to go make another "click" it takes a lot away from the efficiency of the experience.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
@ GTV Daniel

Awesome to see you here. I am able to find all of my items now (at least it appears that way) but the one problem is that when looking on the full results page, it does not indicate what time the results start or what channel they will be on. This is an issue when looking through a ton of football games or whatever else provides a pretty big search result.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae