Is Google TV worth it? Those that own GTV please respond

prchoudh

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
For years I have been waiting for the integration of the Internet and Television. I have uverse and a SONY AV receiver.

I am constantly on FB and using Youtube on occasion. Very rarely do I sit and watch tv. Often times I am multitasking. I thought I was going to buy a google tv but from the reviews I am told that the price is too expensive and the technology is not there. Instead I should be a Boxee box or a Apple TV box.

I do plan on buying an Android Tablet so, my thought is with my Droid X and the tablet, will I really see a benefit in Gtv?

What is your overall opinion of Gtv?

pdougmc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Is GTV Worth the Price?

At this moment: No.

I am not a TV watcher except for live sports. I did not go thru the trouble to connect my laptop to my HDTV because it did not have HDMI input; therefore, I use GTV to watch Sports on a new HDTV that I purchased solely for use with GTV. I hope my answer will change when other features are made available as promised.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
For the price that is available right now for set top boxes? Nope. If you are looking for a new TV then getting one with it already built in isn't a bad idea but 300 and 400 for a box that lacks the functionality that it does is way too much. Over the past 3+ weeks I have had both the Revue and Sony blu ray and I do like GTV, just not for those prices. If you were on Dish, I would say 179 is a fair price which is what Dish sells the for to their customers. But apps aren't coming until next year, it's laggy at times and after a couple weeks the novelty wore off. I think it's mostly because of the fact there aren't a lot of apps. When I first got it, I was using it all the time and seeing what I could do. By the last week, I barely even picked up the keyboard unless I wanted to see something on netflix. Just not worth the price tag right now. I am looking to get one again in the future when more functionality is added and by then the prices will be lower too. I always tell people to try for themselves because what doesn't work for me may work for you. So if you can spare it, go to best buy and buy one. You have 30 days before you can return it for a full refund. Decide for yourself.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As the others said, it is way early to tell. What I can tell you (as a heavy Boxee user from previous set ups) is Boxee is not a replacement for GTV or Vice Versa. In a perfect world you would have both (Rumor has it there will be a Boxee App). In any case, I knew the overall limitations when i bought my GTV but I also get see first hand the developments that are coming through right away.

If I had to do it again, i buy it. It's purely based on faith in Google taking care of me as a user.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
If you want something that integrates with your cable tv than it is the only game in town. If you are looking for a streamer than there are better and less expensive alternatives.

ikshaar

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I will disagree with previous responses as I am glad I bough it. However I would agree it's not for everyone.

I went for a drastic change of how I watch TV. Short story: I was paying now $180 for Comcast triple play with HD and decided it was too much. So I dropped cable all together. Only kept Internet access. Because I reduced my bill by $110 a month, the price of the Logitech Revue was ok with me.

Instead of turning TV on and watch whatever is on, or watching what is on the DVR, I am now only watching shows via Netflix ($9/month), Amazon on demand ($3/TV show) or other website working with Google TV.

It means in MY case no more live TV, no sport event, no local news, no watching shows the same say they aired. Again it's my case, because I drop cable, if you keep cable, none of these limitations applies.

Technically what I have is a PC connected to my TV. And I am fine with that. This is a small box, with very well done UI. Some quirks of course, but I have no doubt it will be updated.

Surfing is ok. Browser a bit slow but good. Quality of display is very nice (on Samsung 46'') and perfectly readable. Touchpad is not great to use, so not for website with lots of mouse clicking required. Chrome browser on the other hand is remarkable, can handle all the websites I visited so far. Flash included.

I would recommend you stop by a BestBuy (if there is one around) and try it... I prefer the Revue with its real keyboard than the Sony mini-keyboard.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's just not worth that price tag right now. I'm sure early next year a 300 price tag may not look so bad. But you may become increasing bored after a couple weeks when you realized you paid 300 for a box that you're barely using. It's service that compliments your already existing service. In my opinion, it just does not replace cable service. You can get a blu ray player for under 150 (a lot cheaper open box at best buy) that will get you netflix, youtube, blockbuster OD, Vudu, pandora, etc. And right now the GTV devices don't offer too much more than that especially if you are replacing cable. 300 for a box that "enhances" my TV experience just isn't worth it for me. I took mine back, got me a Internet connectable blu ray player with both HDMI in an out (so no switching inputs) and I stream youtube, netflix and pandora all the time. And I only paid 95 bucks for it. Now when apps are added to GTV (and we still will have to see what it means to use apps on your TV) then it's a better value. I for one am not that excited about it until I see it and try it. I'm not worried about check my facebook and email on my TV since I have my phone right on my lap. I think the redundancy will turn some people off until they start coming with great functionality and good prices. Look for mid 2010 to be a good time to really see what GTV can do.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I took mine back, got me a Internet connectable blu ray player with both HDMI in an out (so no switching inputs) and I stream youtube, netflix and pandora all the time. And I only paid 95 bucks for it.
What model BD did you get? I'm interested in how a BD with HDMI IN and OUT would work with my setup, but am having a tough time finding any BDs that have both In and Out.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What model BD did you get? I'm interested in how a BD with HDMI IN and OUT would work with my setup, but am having a tough time finding any BDs that have both In and Out.

I have an LG LHB335. Typically this is an entire home theater package but I was lucky enough to find only the receiver on eBay and I use the speakers I already have. So instead of paying 300+ for the entire package, I paid 95 bucks just for the receiver. LG also has the LHB535 which is basically the same thing but has wireless built in. The HDMI in and out works great. No more switching inputs. And I have a logitech harmony remote so I just hit "dvd player" and then "home" and brings up the menu and I'm good to go. I get netflix, vudu, youtube and pandora through the player. Can't beat that right now.

Here's what I would do, go on Best Buy and look at some of the home theater systems that have both HDMI in and out (not sure if there are just blu ray players with both) and then go search on ebay. For instance search "LG home theater". or "Sony 'model number" and you'd probably be able find someone just selling the receiver. I went for the LG because I already had experience with it.

Last edited:

rightawn

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the 32 inch integrated television set. It has an excellent display but, unfortunately, I cannot access the internet as of yet because the set refuses to recognize my wifi tether from my android phone. Since I only have internet through my phone, I will have to return the set if I can't find a workaround. It's a shame that Sony limits the wireless access in this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781