If Google wants some basic (but important) feedback, I have a few thoughts to share

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Don't lose sight of newer users and scare them off with an overly complicated phone os, with a ridiculous amount of buried settings and no beginning instructions of any kind.

New users really don't want to have to spend hours on the internet reading forums just to use their phones. And contrary to popular belief, people aren't born knowing how to fluently use Android. My wife, father, mother, and MANY other family members, friends, and co-workers avoid Android because it's too complicated with no information given on how to use it when you purchase a new Android phone. I highly suspect that's one of the (many) reasons feature phones are making a comeback.

I build and sell PC's as a hobby, and after owning multiple versions of Android on different phones over the last few years, I still find it irritating that the phone often requires way more of my valuable time than I really want to give to it to keep it working well and doing what I need it to do.

Not to mention all the times I'm asked to help somebody else out.

I think making Android more intuitive and easier to navigate and understand for the basic user (not just power users), would make it much less intimidating, and get Android into more new users hands. And that includes users switching from other brands like iPhones.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think making Android more intuitive and easier to navigate and understand for the basic user (not just power users), would make it much less intimidating,

Could you be a little more specific? I just read your post, but you didn't really point out anything directly.

Personally, I think the UI is very intuitive and navigating the system is straight forward, so I'd be interested in what you'd like to see changed about it.

Mark Yaworski

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
I build and sell PC's as a hobby, and after owning multiple versions of Android on different phones over the last few years, I still find it irritating that the phone often requires way more of my valuable time than I really want to give to it to keep it working well and doing what I need it to do.

I feel your pain.

Mark Yaworski

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
Personally, I think the UI is very intuitive and navigating the system is straight forward

Speaking as someone who spent a big part of his life developing software (1973 - 2004), "intuitive" is overused in the software world. UIs being "intuitive" is based on the experiences of the user. Why would something that looks like a double square socket be "setup"? Oh, that's supposed to be a "gear"? It doesn't look like a gear but then why is a gear "set up"? If I'm a mechanic, I might think that a gear is to make it go faster.

My camera icon was a circle in a circle. I'm guessing that's a lens but I didn't think "camera" when I saw it. I've changed it to look like a camera. Of course, that's not intuitive for a millennial who has never used a point and shoot camera.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Speaking as someone who spent a big part of his life developing software (1973 - 2004), "intuitive" is overused in the software world. UIs being "intuitive" is based on the experiences of the user. Why would something that looks like a double square socket be "setup"? Oh, that's supposed to be a "gear"? It doesn't look like a gear but then why is a gear "set up"? If I'm a mechanic, I might think that a gear is to make it go faster.

My camera icon was a circle in a circle. I'm guessing that's a lens but I didn't think "camera" when I saw it. I've changed it to look like a camera. Of course, that's not intuitive for a millennial who has never used a point and shoot camera.
That member is no longer active that you quoted, just a heads up.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...Why would something that looks like a double square socket be "setup"? Oh, that's supposed to be a "gear"? It doesn't look like a gear but then why is a gear "set up"? If I'm a mechanic, I might think that a gear is to make it go faster...
Probably because that's what Apple uses.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Speaking as someone who spent a big part of his life developing software (1973 - 2004), "intuitive" is overused in the software world. UIs being "intuitive" is based on the experiences of the user...
What about the scissors and glue icons as intuitive for cut and paste? Presumably very few on here (probably you if you were doing software developing in 1973) know where that came from.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ahh... taking a ride on the Way Back Machine lol. Pre-pandemic, pre crazy world :eek: It seems like an eternity since I started this thread. Unfortunately I was never aware anyone responded to it originally... I would have liked to discuss it a little more with them. I do have to say that with Android 12 I think Google was listening... 12 imo is the most user friendly version of Android yet.

Some have even called it dumbed down, but I think it's much easier for someone new to Android to understand. Simpler wording in the settings menus with more info under the setting, nice default settings with bigger, clearer quick toggle settings that scroll to tell you what the buttons do, and more hints and tips that explain new things the first time you use them, and a shortcut included that takes you right to the settings for that feature. My wife has now embraced Android, and so has my mom :)

Not bad Google ;)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ahh... taking a ride on the Way Back Machine lol. Pre-pandemic, pre crazy world :eek: It seems like an eternity since I started this thread. Unfortunately I was never aware anyone responded to it originally... I would have liked to discuss it a little more with them. I do have to say that with Android 12 I think Google was listening... 12 imo is the most user friendly version of Android yet.

Some have even called it dumbed down, but I think it's much easier for someone new to Android to understand. Simpler wording in the settings menus with more info under the setting, nice default settings with bigger, clearer quick toggle settings that scroll to tell you what the buttons do, and more hints and tips that explain new things the first time you use them, and a shortcut included that takes you right to the settings for that feature. My wife has now embraced Android, and so has my mom :)

Not bad Google ;)
I doubt they will ever be user friendly to the masses like ios is but they can make improvements. Power users always speak about customization but making things too customizable creates confusion for the average user.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt they will ever be user friendly to the masses like ios is but they can make improvements. Power users always speak about customization but making things too customizable creates confusion for the average user.

And yet I find iOS's UI and settings menu confusing and non-intuitive.:confused:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
And yet I find iOS's UI and settings menu confusing and non-intuitive.:confused:
I think overall, because there are not 60,000 different settings, it makes it a bit easier for most people. Set it up andforget it. Now, how you get to those settings plus a plethora of other things is why I left them.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think overall, because there are not 60,000 different settings, it makes it a bit easier for most people. Set it up andforget it. Now, how you get to those settings plus a plethora of other things is why I left them.

You make a good point about the 60,000 different settings lol... that is definitely the number one complaint I've heard from new users, settings buried within settings buried within settings etc. In fact most of our questions here are how to find a setting. The settings search works good if a new user understands what it's for, and has an idea of what search terms to use... if they don't they could still feel pretty lost.

And Samsungs seem to have even more settings than a pixel, plus the competing apps, which takes that much more time and effort to figure out. Great if you're a power user who loves tons of customizable settings, not so great if you just want your phone to work with minimal time invested. I agree that's the draw of iPhones, they do the things the average user wants without dragging them down the rabbit hole of confusion.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You make a good point about the 60,000 different settings lol... that is definitely the number one complaint I've heard from new users, settings buried within settings buried within settings etc. In fact most of our questions here are how to find a setting. The settings search works good if a new user understands what it's for, and has an idea of what search terms to use... if they don't they could still feel pretty lost.

And Samsungs seem to have even more settings than a pixel, plus the competing apps, which takes that much more time and effort to figure out. Great if you're a power user who loves tons of customizable settings, not so great if you just want your phone to work with minimal time invested. I agree that's the draw of iPhones, they do the things the average user wants without dragging them down the rabbit hole of confusion.

You're definitely right about Samsung adding even more complexity with all of their bells and whistles, along with their own apps that duplicate Google services. But I still feel iOS's settings can be a head-scratcher sometimes, even when looking at it from a non-Android user perspective. One example is trying to supervise a child's screentime and general usage -- it always takes me several attempts to find the right menu to do what I want to do.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
You're definitely right about Samsung adding even more complexity with all of their bells and whistles, along with their own apps that duplicate Google services. But I still feel iOS's settings can be a head-scratcher sometimes, even when looking at it from a non-Android user perspective. One example is trying to supervise a child's screentime and general usage -- it always takes me several attempts to find the right menu to do what I want to do.

I think that nowadays many kids would have an easier time setting up screentime and general usage restrictions on their parents' phones than the other way around.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"Most" kids today...in the developed world...have been raised on computers and cell phones. So they have an advantage over many older ones who were raised on "go outside and play"! My advantage is that I got into computers as a career when Windows 3.11 (which ran on top of DOS 6.2?) was popular. So for me Android is pretty easy to figure out. But for sure I have had to hand-hold a number of people over the years with their PC and cell phone problems. I'm glad I don't know iOS...I can ignore any requests for help! LOL

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
"Most" kids today...in the developed world...have been raised on computers and cell phones. So they have an advantage over many older ones who were raised on "go outside and play"! My advantage is that I got into computers as a career when Windows 3.11 (which ran on top of DOS 6.2?) was popular. So for me Android is pretty easy to figure out. But for sure I have had to hand-hold a number of people over the years with their PC and cell phone problems. I'm glad I don't know iOS...I can ignore any requests for help! LOL
I'd venture to guess that you would have no problem at all using the CLI instead of the GUI on a PC.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can use the CLI when needed but I have to admit that I am more of a GUI guy.
The most CLI I used was when learning/getting certified on VMware 1, 2, and 3.
Retired now so I don't have to use any of it anymore.
I still use some CLI on ADB for Android though I also use a great GUI app even for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781