Nest Wifi with Linksys Router

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have 3 Nest Wifi routers in my house. One has the internet hardwired to it, and the other Nest Wifi routers are effectively acting as extenders.

I want to have a hard wired solution for my computer in the basement. So I'm thinking of dusting off my Linksys EA4500 router. I would connect the internet to that, and also connect my Nest Wifi router so it can connect to my other Nest Wifi Routers. But I will also hardwire from my Linksys Router and drag that wire into my basement so my computer can get direct access to the internet.

I'm doing this so my internet connectivity for my basement computer is always prioritized over other devices in my house.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Any problems with that?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You're probably going to have to put the Linksys router in modem only mode in the settings for the nest wifi to work properly. If it's broadcasting alongside the nest system, it could disrupt the network and hurt your wifi speeds and coverage.

Running your basement pc and the nest system off the Linksys shouldn't be a problem as long as they're both hardwired to the Linksys and it's in modem only mode.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I ran some before and after tests. Including keeping my setup as is, but prioritizing my laptop via the Nest app. Using fast.com, my laptop in the basement (which is wired into a nest router that is picking up the wifi signal from upstairs) was 120 Mbps DL, and 130 if I priortize it). I then tried using a combination of Linksys Router and my main floor Nest Router to compare those speeds. My laptop at best got to 130 Mbps DL. However, because the internet was directly going into the Linksys router, my Nest Wifi router on the main floor was taking too much of a hit on my other devices.

So I determined it was best to keep as is, and just prioritize my laptop when I need the most bandwidth for video calls.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
i ended up buying a long ethernet cable and attached my Nest router upstairs to the one in the basement via the ethernet ports. it works well!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21