Being Able to Manage Bandwidth of Guest Network

Should you be able to Manage Guest Network Bandwidth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So my poor neighbor comes to me last month asking if he can use my wifi network b/c he cant afford to pay for his own so ATT disconnected him. Turns out hes using almost half if not more bandwidth than i am. SO this prompted me to look deep into the settings of my google wifi to see if i can mange the bandwidth of my guest network like i used to be able to do with my previous "N" router. Turns out all i can do is delegate "priority" to any particular network but only for up to 4 hours i think it is. I conducted a google search and i found that im not the first person to think of this as well. Is there any chance that being able to manage guest network bandwidth will become a reality b/c if not i might be shopping of another AC router here pretty soon.

To bad too b/c i really like this router...:cool:

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So my poor neighbor comes to me last month asking if he can use my wifi network b/c he cant afford to pay for his own so ATT disconnected him. Turns out hes using almost half if not more bandwidth than i am. SO this prompted me to look deep into the settings of my google wifi to see if i can mange the bandwidth of my guest network like i used to be able to do with my previous "N" router. Turns out all i can do is delegate "priority" to any particular network but only for up to 4 hours i think it is. I conducted a google search and i found that im not the first person to think of this as well. Is there any chance that being able to manage guest network bandwidth will become a reality b/c if not i might be shopping of another AC router here pretty soon.

To bad too b/c i really like this router...:cool:

Wow. You're one nice neighbor. No way in hell I'd let any neighbor on my network.

You can set the neighbors devices up as Family Wifi and then pause them. Lol.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
If you still have one of your old wireless routers you might want to just keep your Google WiFi set up for yourself, tap an old router into your network, and then configure that secondary router as a dedicated, separate WiFi network for your neighbor (using that router's setup menu options to apply a limit on bandwidth).

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Pulling the plug on neighbor on the 21st. I think the reason i was noticing the reduced performance was b/c the neighbor probably doesn't have a dual band chip so they just drained the 2.4 network which is already really congested. Its going to be nice to have it back...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Shocked you even did what you did. Google doesn't really plan for these things to be honest -- This router is meant to be a set it and forget it versus the tweak city that most routers are.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"Shocked" really? I contacted google about being to adjust guest network bandwidth and so have others so maybe it could become a reality.

Yes ...shocked. I am shocked you lent your WiFi to your neighbor. I personally wouldn't since anything they do on the network would reflect as me doing it (since I am paying the ISP) so I would be held accountable (stealing stuff online, other extreme issues, etc.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes ...shocked. I am shocked you lent your WiFi to your neighbor. I personally wouldn't since anything they do on the network would reflect as me doing it (since I am paying the ISP) so I would be held accountable (stealing stuff online, other extreme issues, etc.)

Pretty much. You are taking on a lot of liability. If I where the OP, I would say... Sorry dude... Go find free Wi-Fi at a library or Starbucks or Whatever if you can't afford it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie