Hello,

I am working on a hardware project for my job - and I need to get a cheap USB camera to display its video feed onto a tablet. The camera comes with an Android app, and I am able to display the video feed onto my Google pixel phone using the app after I enable USB tethering.

However, I then ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (wifi version) - and after installing the camera's app it became quite apparent that there is no way to enable USB tethering. I tried a few workarounds, including installing USB tethering apps, but no success.

So, can someone recommend (hopefully a tablet that you own):
    -a wifi-only android tablet (or at least one that doesn't require a Verizon data plan or something similar)
    -at least a 1920x1080 display
    -you can confirm that there is an option to enable USB tethering

I appreciate the help!
    10-26-2018 01:37 AM
    Do you have both the camera and the tab connected to the same LAN? (It really depends on how the camera connects to the app - and you'd need at least the camera documentation for that.) A wifi-only tab won't do tethering - tethering is using wifi to connect internet gotten from mobile data to devices that don't have internet access. You'd need a 4G-capable tab and an activated SIM in it.
    10-26-2018 01:08 PM
    I also need a tablet that supports usb only tethering. I'm not sure why this is such a problem. In my case this isn't even about internet access. I'm using the tablet with a custom app to access an api on a linux server. The whole setup is offline and wired between the tables and the host server.

I've used the Google Nexus 7 Tablet (7-Inch, 32GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) and it supports http over usb tethering to a linux server. It still costs over $200 and you can only find used devices.

All other tablets I've researched don't even activate tethering unless you have a sim card and internet connectivity OTA.

Perhaps I'm not thinking creatively enough...

I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
    Chris.
    11-06-2018 02:27 PM